Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Twelve Men Survived the Horrors of the Great War

ph0ebus

Hi James,

I had a look through my files and I have not located a Draft Registration Card for Charles yet via Ancestry. Will have another look around and see what I can find.

Take care,

-Daniel

That'd be great, Daniel, let me know.

Meanwhile, here's his photo -- turns out what I had was something my mother had an art shop do because of the quality of the original photo. My mother lent me the original, though, which I vastly prefer, despite the quality:

granddad01b.jpg

Hi James,

Was Charles' father named Charles V. (occupation pressman in a printing office) and his mother Maria M.? If so I have his entry in both the 1900 and 1910 Brooklyn census via Ancestry. Let me know if it is him and if so I'll send it along.

-Daniel

Hi James, all...

James, I just filled your inbox with stuff from Ancestry. It appears the 'Olof Lindroth' on thr 1900 Census was Charles' younger brother, born in 1899. Given he disappears from the 1920 census (though Charles was still at home), I have a suspicion that he may have passed away by that point, perhaps in the War. Certainly he was alive in 1904 on his trip aboard the Arabic. This might be info on his record of birth:

Name: Olof V. L. Lindroth

Birth Date: 01 Sep 1899 (in Brooklyn)

Certificate Number: 14822

I could find no draft registration card for him via Ancestry, and nothing via Find A Grave nor CWGC. Anyone want to try and find what became of Olof? I will keep looking, but would welcome the help. I have not looked for American Great War Casualties before.

-Daniel

• 1 year later...

Hi all,

With the 90th Anniversary of this event only eight days away, I am hoping someone will help me identify the twelfth soldier killed in this event. As a reminder, the page I created is found here:

The Wall Street Explosion: September 16, 1920

The complete list of the dead is as follows:

Arambarry, Joseph, Age 27

Bishop, Margaret Helen, Age 21

Dickinson, Carolyn M., Age 40

Donohue, John A., Age 38

Drury, Marguerite A., Age 29

Ellsworthy, Reginald, Age 23

Ellsworth, Worth Bagley, Age 20

Flannery, Bartholomew, Age 19

Gilles, Harold I., Age 27

Hantahan, Charles A., Age 17

Huger, Amelia Newton, Age 23

Hutchinson, William Fulton, Age 43

Johnson, John, Age 58

Joyce, William A., Age 29

Kehrer, Elmer Wallace, Age 21

Kennedy Jr., Bernard F., Age 30

Leith, Alexander, Age 64

Lindroth, Charles A., Age 25

Mayer, Alfred G., Age 23

McKean, Jerome H., Age 33

McClure, Colin Barr, Age 25

Miller, Franklin G., Age 21

Neville, Colonel Charles, Age 42

Osprey, Thomas Montgomery, Age 24

Peck, Theodore, Age 36

Peterson, William Ernst, Age 29

Phillips, Alfred G., Age 28

Portong, Ludolph A., Age 29

Schmitt, Joseph, Age 30

Smith, Lewis K., Age 34

Soloway, Benjamin, Age 16

Stoba, Francis Dauzell, Age 34

Sweet, Edwin A., Age 67

Tannenwald, Irving T., Age 38

Westbay, Robert, Age 16

Weir, John W., Age 27

White, William West, Age 63

Xylander, Mildred, Age 46

I think we can safely eliminate those too young or old for military service during the Great War, as well as those already ID'd as soldiers...I have crossed their names out on the list above What is the likelihood of any of the women (in bold italics) being veterans? Thoughts on next steps?

-Daniel

• 8 months later...

Hi all,

I am planning to visit and photograph two of the graves of those veterans killed during this event, who are buried in Brooklyn. Sadly, almost a year after my last post I have not succeeded in identifying the mysterious twelfth veteran killed in the bombing. The search continues...

Of course, if anyone else wants to have a go at this, by all means, feel free!

Daniel

PS: I have a fresh email out to the NY Times to see if perhaps they have any archival information that might settle the matter.

Also, I found where John A. Donohue is buried:

Burial:

Calvary Cemetery

Woodside

Queens County

New York, USA

And: Lewis K. Smith:

Burial:

Greenfield Cemetery

Uniondale

Nassau County

New York, USA

Plot: section 17

33847028_123466321135.jpg

And: William West White:

Green-Wood Cemetery

Brooklyn

Kings County

New York, USA

12822878_124927109724.jpg

And: Worth Bagsley Ellsworth:

Burial:

Glenwood Cemetery

Washington

District of Columbia

District Of Columbia, USA

In scrolling back to page 357 I am seeing this fellow is in the list of soldiers who died of disease...would you interpret this the same way? If that is the case, then it's back to the drawing board.

As an aside, this book is a great resource. It is a bit maddening that the photos seem to be in no particular order.

-Daniel

PS, now have located the grave of:

Bishop, Margaret Helen, Age 21 - Buried in Woodlawn Cemetery, Bronk, New York, USA, Plot D

Eureka! I found the twelfth man:

From the New York Tribune, dated September 19, 1920:

"Franklin G. Miller, who died in the Broad Street Hospital, will be buried this afternoon from his home, 700 West 179th Street. He was a Lieutenant in the naval air force during the war."

It took a while, but all 12 men now present and accounted for.

Thanks for bearing with me...

Daniel

Hm, even though he was buried with full military honours in Washington, no one in any official capacity seems to know where Col. Charles A. Neville is buried. I contacted the VA and they replied:

Response via Email Via Email (Dept of Veterans Affairs) 06/06/2011 08:27 AM

I regret that the VA does not have burial records for all veterans. You may wish to try to obtain a copy of his death certificate.

Go to http://www.cdc.gov/NCHS/w2w.htm

National Cemetery Administration

Department of Veterans Affairs

Another tidbit: I made contact with the grand nephew of John Weir. Lovely fellow and I am learning a lot about John that may perhaps be added to the site...stay tuned.

-Daniel

• 1 month later...

A lead on Francis Stoba just went ice cold. Such is the way of things...

It is really too bad that I cannot find more photos of these men. The next step is to order service records for each from the NYS Archives.

The search continues!

-Daniel

I found him via Ellis too. On May 08, 1903, he and his two brothers arrived from Plymouth on the 'Graf Waldersee' (departed April 27, 1903) and the manifest lists them as American Citizens. Literally, the manifest says nothing else about him or his brothers.

-Daniel

Colin's parents also travelled on the Graf Waldersee on the same date. There were only 20 passengers on the boat and 25% of them were McClures.

Also found this from The Evening World. (New York, N.Y.) 1887-1931, September 17, 1920, Wall St. Final Edition, Image 4

post-73561-0-28440600-1311179083.jpg

Myrtle, Steve, wonderful new information!

Steve, would you mind if I add the Colonel's picture that you provided to the website I am building?

Thanks again!

Daniel

Hi all,

I hit the jackpot this morning. I found seven photos of casualties from the bombing, most of which were the very men I have been researching (not including the one of Col. Neville! I will be posting the pics shortly.

Daniel

Myrtle, Steve, wonderful new information!

Steve, would you mind if I add the Colonel's picture that you provided to the website I am building?

Thanks again!

Daniel

Daniel

Feel free to post the photo, it's not mine!!

Good luck with the site

Steeve

Thanks! :)

I will post the photos once the GWF techies fix whatever remains broken. Can't upload any piccies right now.

IE8 seems just as buggy as Firefox, at least from here.

:(

-Daniel

• 1 month later...