Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Twelve Men Survived the Horrors of the Great War

ph0ebus

Well, I'll be!

I found *the* resource I have been looking for all this time. It gives the final resting places of the remaining men and women, including my two remaining soldiers.

Details to follow!

-Daniel

The burial details for the remaining people on the list are as follows:

Veterans:

Kennedy Jr., Bernard J. (NOT F!) –Age 30 - Death Certificate # 25673 - Buried 20 September 1920 in Cavalry Cemetery, Woodside, New York

McKean, Jerome Hopkins, - Age 33 - Death Certificate # 25696 - Buried 19 September 1920 in Woodlawn Cemetery, Bronx, New York

Civilians:

Arambarry, Joseph, Age 27 - Death Certificate # 25676 - Buried 20 September 1920 in St. Caynon Cemetery (????)

Drury, Marguerite A. (a.k.a. Margaret Drurey), Age 29 - Death Certificate # 25668 - Buried 19 September 1920 in Mt. Olivet Cemetery, Maspeth, New York

Hanrahan, Charles A., Age 22 - Death Certificate # 25745 - Buried 19 September in Holy Cewk (?) Cemetery ????

Johnson, John, Age 58 - Buried 19 September 1920 in Mt. Olivet Cemetery, Maspeth, New York

Kehrer, Elmer Wallace, Age 21 - Death Certificate # 25916 - Buried 23 September 1920 in St. John's Cemetery, Middle Village, New York

Leith, Alexander, Age 64 - Death Certificate # 25709 - Buried 21 September in White Plains Cemetery in White Plains, New York

Peterson, William Ernst, Age 29 - Buried 23 September 1920 in Lutheran Cemetery (now known as All Faiths Cemetery) in Middle Village, New York

Phipps, Alfred Granville, born November 21, 1891, Age 28 - Death Certificate # 26628 - Buried 3 Oct 1920 in Woodlawn Cemetery, Boston, Massachusetts

Stoba, Francis Dalzell, Age 34 - Born 5 Dec 1885 - (listed under STORA) Buried 16 November 1920 in Brookside Cemetery, Englewood, New Jersey

Xylander, Mildred, Age 46 - Death Certificate # 25643 - Buried 19 September 1920 in Lutheran Cemetery (now known as All Faiths Cemetery) in Middle Village, New York

All of this information was available via FamilySearch.org using the online database 'New York - New York City Municipal Deaths, 1795-1949'.

I will be contacting each cemetery to confirm their presence and obtain specific details.

Two that should prove a bit of a challange are Arambarry and Hanrahan, as the cemetery names are stumping me at present.

Updates as they occur!!

-Daniel

Anyone have any ideas where St. Caynon cemetery might be? Possibly in the West Indies/Jamaica? Arambarry did hail originally from Kingston...

I cannot find a local cemetery that comes even close.

I can now confirm, on the anniversary of his death, that Private Bernard J. Kennedy Jr., 304th Field Artillery Regiment, 77th Division is indeed buried in Cavalry Cemetery in Woodside, New York in Section 51, Plot 100, Grave 11.

:poppy::poppy: :poppy:

-Daniel

Francis Dalzell Stoba is confirmed to be buried in Brookside Cemetery, Englewood, New Jersey in East Side Section, Plot 465, Grave 1.

:poppy::poppy::poppy:

-Daniel

I have just confirmed that Mildred Xylander is buried in All Saints Cemetery in Family Lot 7197, Map 5. Also, William Petersen (not Peterson!) is buried there in Family Lot 9238, Map 5.

As a personal aside, I discovered I have relations from the Danish branch of my family (my great grandmother's sister and her husband and one child) buried in the same cemetery...what a small world!

I have confirmed that Alfred Granville Phipps is indeed buried in Woodlawn Cemetery, Everett, Massachusetts in Greenlawn Avenue Section, Grave 2642.

-Daniel

I went to Lutheran Cemetery yesterday to visit my relations who are buried there but also to look for the graves of Mildred Xylander and William Ernst Petersen. I found both, thanks to the kind assistance of the Cemetery staff.

Mildred's grave:

12049643_10206087242392742_6590910636750

Unfortunately Mildred is not inscribed on the marker, but the staff confirmed she is there.

William Petersen's family stone was considerably more elaborate:

12002262_10206087232232488_4958259056615

I have a friend who is an Afghanistan veteran who has offered to locate Alfred Granville Phipps's grave in Boston; he is one of the original 12 veterans who inspired this search. I will give updates on that aspect of the project once there is new information.

I also received a written reply from White Plains Cemetery with an enclosed map on the whereabouts of Alexander Leith. I hope to visit him in the next month or so.

Pvt. Kennedy is relatively local so I hope to visit him in early October since I already have a social engagement then that is not far from where he is buried.

-Daniel

• 2 weeks later...

I have today confirmed that Elmer Wallace Kehrer is indeed buried in St. John's Cemetery, Middle Village, New York in Section 19, Range U, Grave #57.

I have also confirmed that Marguerite A. Drury is indeed buried in Mt. Olivet Cemetery, Maspeth, New York in Lot 2516A, Section N, Grave 2 and John Johnson is buried there in Lot 2 Adult, Grave #1078.

So, I only have one person left (of the original forty) to locate:

Arambarry, Joseph, Age 27 - Death Certificate # 25676 - Buried 20 September 1920 in St. Caynon Cemetery (????)

If he was buried in Jamaica, he might be in either St. Catherine's or St. Cyprian''s Cemetery.

If he is in the Bronx, which is where he was living, he might be in St. Raymond's Cemetery, which seems the closest to the death certificate.

The search continues...

-Daniel

I found Joseph!

He is indeed buried in Old St. Raymond's Cemetery in the Bronx, Section 12, Row 11, Grave #105.

All 40 (+1) people have been found.

-Daniel

Congratulations!

I have been following the story and know how much time you have devoted to the searches and now your perseverance has finally paid off.

A good job done well.

CGM

:poppy:

Congratulations!

I have been following the story and know how much time you have devoted to the searches and now your perseverance has finally paid off.

A good job done well.

CGM

:poppy:

Thanks! It's been quite a project so far. My hope now is to flesh out the details on the twelve men in terms of finding any missing photos, details of their military service, and so on. Given the current political and social climate it is unlikely this event and these people will ever be given a proper memorial, so I will create one on line for them as best as I can.

Daniel

I found a reference to William Fulton Hutchinson's passing in the 7th Regiment Gazette (Vol. XXXV, No.2, November 1920):

post-32240-0-95585600-1443702797_thumb.j

I found the contact information for the 7th Regiment's Veterans Association in New York (http://www.theseventhregiment.org/5.html) and have sent them an inquiry as to ascertain if they have any further information about William and his service.

-Daniel

This morning I have also reached out to the 69th Regiment Veterans Association in regards to Jerome Hopkins McKean, via their website, here:

http://www.sixtyninth.net/regiment.html

I also plan on submitting several more requests to the New York State Archives for WWI 'Summary of Service' cards for these fellows. At present I only have one for Ludolf Portong.

In case it is helpful, here is a direct link to the form you would need to fill out and submit:

http://nysa32.nysed.gov/a/research/res_topics_mi_warsvc_form.pdf

Cross your fingers!

-Dan

Check with either the New York State Archives in Albany New York or the New York Adjutant General office..hope this helps

Thanks!

I put a good half dozen or so requests out in the mail to the NYS Archives so we will see where those go.

I was able to visit the final resting places of Pvt. Bernard J. Kennedy and civilian Elmer Kehrer this past Saturday. Both are buried in unmarked graves, which made finding them somewhat difficult but not impossible.

-Daniel

This morning I have also reached out to the 69th Regiment Veterans Association in regards to Jerome Hopkins McKean, via their website, here:

http://www.sixtyninth.net/regiment.html

I received a reply from the staff at the 69th Regiment and they have indicated that they have no additional information on Jerome. Such is life!

-Daniel

• 2 weeks later...

All,

I got a packet from the New York State Archives and got service summary cards back on five more men. I will be scanning them and uploading them to this thread shortly. Some interesting new information to be sure.

-Daniel

First up is the card I received for Bernard Kennedy...even though I gave fairly clear service details (what little I had) I suspect this is not the right 'Bernard' as I am researching. Things just are not adding up...the information I had previously indicated that he "served 11 months overseas as a Private in 304th Field Artillery Regiment, as a part of the 77th Division during the Great War; during that time he was gassed and wounded by shrapnel in the knee"...thoughts?

post-32240-0-76265200-1445557452_thumb.j

Next is the card for Charles Lindroth, which fits with the available facts precisely, though his service card makes no mention of being invalided home. Press reports stated "He was invalidated home after a gas attack in the Great War."

post-32240-0-20798500-1445557570_thumb.j

The next card is for Thomas Montgomery Osprey. This also seems to be the right man. I am confused about the notation of his being 'slightly' wounded, yet was considered 50% disabled? What does 'on SCD' mean? Otherwise the facts line up.

post-32240-0-05435100-1445557675_thumb.j

The fourth card is for William A Joyce. The media certainly painted him as having served overseas but his card says otherwise (well, technically speaking, Kansas is 'Western' compared to Brooklyn!) The press said "William was an Officer, 14th Service Company, United States Signal Corps, and he served in a ‘Western Division’ during the Great War. He entered the service on March 8th, 1918."

post-32240-0-98313800-1445557766_thumb.j

Lastly is the card for William Fulton Hutchinson. He apparently did not serve overseas either. This card confuses me in that I have no idea what Inf to disch(arge?) means, and by Resignation do they mean his resigned his commission as an officer? What does the handwritten notation (for CS) mean? What do folks think?

post-32240-0-68503500-1445557864_thumb.j