Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Markings of Guns,ammo,bayonets etc

museumtom

Hi guys.

I have been collecting Weapons for years for the museum and could not get a decent book that would have a wide coverage of markings. So I just had to collect the data from other books and the net and write it myself. Its called the Book of Marks and was available as a search database on the net for 2 years about three years ago. If you post a marking without telling what it is off,on anything military(not serial numbers) fuzes, ammo, guns, bayonets, swords, codes etc. I will attempt to tell you what item it belongs to.

Give it a try. I hope I dont get too embarrassed if the results are inadequate.

Lets go.....who's first?

Tom

The book is finished, all I want is for pals to post a mark they have on an item and I will try to decipher it and guess what that item is.

Tom

So you want a job? :D

on my "armistice" enfield bayonet:

on grips: FI 66 left, FI 7 right

on blade:

Crown, 1907, 11 '18, wilkinson

reverse side:

broad arrow, crown g? E under it X and crown6Y E

have fun!

You are not supposed to tell me what the markings are from......just to post the markings on their own.

1907 pattern bayonet for the SMLE, made in Nov 1918, Inspected by Enfield (there should be three crowns with letters e under them, Broad arrow acceptance mark for Britain. there should also be a large letter X which shows you the side the bending test was done on. Markings on the wood are unknown to me. If a unit mark is present it will be on the side of the pommel.

Tom

Good man Somme.

This has me stumped. lol A mad guess would be a french headstamp. If it were a French hedstamp it would be something like MA/M instead of MAM.

Tom

I am beginning to regret doing this....lol.......anyway here goes.

This could be from a medal, a bayonet Pommel or the brass butt disc of an SMLE denoting issue to B company Black watch, Royal Highlanders. V=Volunteers? 5 could be a rack No.

Tom.

Tom,

You are right regarding bayonet .

What I believe to be Martini Henry bayonet , brass metal, leather and brass

scabbard.

Belonged to a man in a military band, Volunteer type uniforms , R.H. (Robin

Hood ?) lived in Sherwood Foresters catchment area.

Stuart

Are these marks all one source? or are there several?

7th batt Royal Artillery, The IV C.R could be 74th Batt Connaught Rangers, or an Artillery case marking for Chester, or a reduced charge marking for an artillery case, or cr cipher under crown. Denmark, Cipher of King Christian 9th, Died 1906. On weapons.

cr Zander u. Opitz. Berlin. succeeded by W Sasse c. 1943. WW2 German Ordnance code.

7th batt Royal Artillery

That is what I have been told.

The top two from the butt strap.

Rack 68 (?)

as you stated above.

IV. C.R. small stamp in the butt - I am told "4th class reserve"

1842 Tower musket.

thanks Tom.

Good man Somme.

This has me stumped. lol A mad guess would be a french headstamp. If it were a French hedstamp it would be something like MA/M instead of MAM.

Tom

You are dead on! Those markings are from a piece of Trench Art made from a French 75mm shell casing which decorates my desk at work.

I'll try something from home next.

Jon

• 1 month later...

I have just added Devil in the drum, British Red Cross and Order of saint John Enquiry list 1917 and believe it or not, 'Irish Army deserters' during ww2. Deserted not from the British Army but from the Irish army. It lists 5.000.

Tom.

..... 'Irish Army deserters' during ww2. Deserted not from the British Army but from the Irish army. It lists 5.000.

Tom.

Tom

Where did they go? Did any turn up on the CWGC lists?

Here's another for you, Tom.

A

15 (this is enclosed within a circle)....AGD, and (the giveaway for the nationality)....IV 15 (enclosed within a rectangle).

Any ideas? :ph34r:

Dave.

Beoop

I did not check the CWGC to see if they died in ww2.there are 5000 y'know.

Croonaert

a in a circle was used by. Argentina, Russia,Poland,France,on British Artillery casings, however if I HAD to guess I would go fo an artillery casing or a french bayonet.

Tom

Beoop

I did not check the CWGC to see if they died in ww2.there are 5000 y'know.

Fair enough Tom. It's just that there must be a reason for 5,000 soldiers going "adrift". I wondered if they wanted to fight in WW2?

As you know, there were tens of thousands of Southern Irishmen in the British and Commonwealth forces. What % were ex-Free State forces?

I understand your point. The book sellers says it was a black list for guys who deserted the irish army during ww2, it also says (the book sellers) that they then joined the British Army but nowhere in the book does it say this so I take that with a pinch of salt. It give the full name, last known address, date of birth and army number. It was circulated to all government departments so that if one of these guys applied for a government job he was not even given an nterview. Thats the way I read it anyway. It is marked 'confidential' on the cover. Very sensitive information in this as I know some of the families contained in it and I am sure you do also.

Tom.

Croonaert

a in a circle was used by. Argentina, Russia,Poland,France,on British Artillery casings, however if I HAD to guess I would go fo an artillery casing or a french bayonet.

Nope.

(It's "1" over an "A" over the "15" that's in the circle)

Dave.

Dave you are being a bit unfair when you do not give me ALL the markings, c'mon .....lets be having you.....what are you leaving out?

Tom.

hello tom,

i know nothing about swords , medals is my main topic so you can educate on the following-

sword - blade 3 foot long

impressed s&k one side

the other side is not stamped so well but can make out BI or it may be a BH with a animal above it(maybe a lion but i can only see the backside!)

thanks and good luck!

enoch

You do not give me enough information. What type of hilt? Knuckle guard? is there a fuller? is it straight or curved? are there any crowns on the blade? What kind of an animals backside?What kind of wrapping covers the handle? Post a picture of the whole handle and we will take it from there.

Tom.

sorry tom ,

i told you im no expert!,it is curved with knuckle guard and im no expert on animal backsides. By the way whats a fuller?

enoch