Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Bermuda Contingent RGA

PhilB

4 minutes ago, ianjonesncl said:

The shell carrier on the RA Memorial looks to be 18 pounder ammunition as there are cartridge cases sticking out. So 4 x 18 lbs = 72 lbs.

Those rounds are complete with charge bags in the cartridge cases.

The calculation of 140pounds for 4.5" howitzer certainly looks right.  The litttle pockets on the garment I would think were for charge bags.

Yes, I was wondering about those pockets Ian, they seemed smaller than I imagined the charge bags would be, but like you I could not think of what else they might be for.

On 26/09/2022 at 13:13, PhilB said:

It looks a very awkward way to carry such a heavy weight. How far would they usually be expected to carry such loads in those harnesses?

From the ammunition limbers in rear up to the gun line I think, usually a safe distance from the guns in the event of a direct hit.  The ready ammunition was close to the gun and then that was constantly replenished by passage to and fro.

2C9CB56C-DF23-4626-BEB9-44FF415F5CAF.jpeg

27AF39D7-B780-41F6-84ED-AFC8219723A1.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

32 minutes ago, PhilB said:

It looks a very awkward way to carry such a heavy weight. 

At night and through the Ypres mud.

I do wonder with 4.5 in howitzer whether 4 rounds was practical?

16 minutes ago, ianjonesncl said:

At night and through the Ypres mud.

I do wonder with 4.5 in howitzer whether 4 rounds was practical?

Certainly not at Passchendaele, I imagine, Ian.

23 hours ago, PhilB said:

It looks a very awkward way to carry such a heavy weight. How far would they usually be expected to carry such loads in those harnesses?

I would think the distance would be from a collection point where ammunition had been dumped, or directly from limbers to the gun position. It is really trying to find an artillery deployment map to make an assessment of distance.

Another perspective is the amount of ammunition that would need to be moved who does it. This is a possible scenario for an 18-pounder battery (hopefully the maths is right.)

A bombardment period of one hour at a rate of fire of 3 rounds per minute per gun, would require 180 rounds per gun. For a battery of 6 guns 1,080 rounds would need to be brought to the gun platforms. The ammunition carrying harness carries 4 rounds, so to move the required ammunition would need 270 trips from the collection point to the guns. 

An 18 pounder has a detachment of 10, of which 6 are manning the gun. They are required should calls for fire arise and to prepare ammunition when it arrives.

That would leave 4 men per gun to move the ammunition. That is 24 men, so to complete the 270 trips, each man would need to do 11 trips to move the required ammunition to the guns.  This could be reduced by using drivers, or others, if available.

Edited by ianjonesncl

9 minutes ago, PhilB said:

I’m not an ex-artillerist but I assume this carrying technique is no longer in use. How would the shells be transferred now?

I wonder how long it was used during WW1.

A while since I was involved with movement of ammunition. If there was a problem getting vehicles onto a gun position, men would go to the ammunition waggon and ammunition boxes (2 x 105 mm 16 kg rounds) / cartridge case boxes (2 per box) placed on the on their shoulders and carried to the guns. Could be up to 50 metres. This would arise if there was heavy rain after the guns were in position.