Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Bermuda Contingent RGA

PhilB

Photo taken in England before going to France. The handsome chap in the front row appears to be a coloured officer. Can anyone name him?

post-2329-1235732452.jpg

Phil

You are probably aware of it but this snippet is from Wiki and it might assist the artillery buffs in pinning your man down:

The two BMA contingents served as part of the larger Royal Garrison Artillery detachment to the Western Front. The first, 201 officers and men, under the command of Major Thomas Melville Dill, left for France on 31 May, 1916. A second, smaller, contingent left Bermuda on 6 May, 1917, and was merged with the first contingent in France. Titled the Bermuda Contingent, Royal Garrison Artillery, it served primarily in ammunition supply, at dumps, and in delivering ammunition to batteries in the field. The Contingent served at the Somme from June to December 1916. They were then moved away from the Front, serving on docks until April, 1917, when they were attached to the Canadian Corps at Vimy Ridge, serving in the battle for Vimy Ridge. They were at Ypres from 24 June, until 22 October, where three men were killed, and several wounded. Two men received the Military Medal. In 1917, Field Marshall Sir Douglas Haig, the Commander-in-Chief in France, wrote his own commendation of the Contingents' , praising their gallantry and devotion to duty. In Bermuda, the BMA was demobilised on 31 December, 1918, and when the overseas contingent returned in July, 1919, it was to no unit. Thirty men who chose to remain on, temporarily re-enlisted in the RGA, and the rest were demobilised.

regards

Mel

I have managed to find only one officer of the BMA on the MICs:

Medal card of Hamilton, S

Corps Regiment No Rank

Bermuda Militia Artillery Captain

Royal Garrison Artillery Major

Mel

Thanks, Mel. We`ve had previous threads on coloured officers (a rare breed!) and I thought he might be known. I get the impression from your post that the unit was largely kept out of the front line?

Phil

Sorry, my knowledge on this one is entirely confined to Wiki :blink:

I have managed to find another MIC for a MID but that was a sergeant.

The fact that the BMA was involved with the Canadians may be the best lead from their records.

It would be nice to establish that Walter was not such a wholly rare bird.

Regards

Mel

Mel

My own thoughts!

The Sept 1915 Army List shows the Bermuda Militia Artillery as having 6 officers. Capts C H Tucker & T M Dill, Lts F S H Outerbridge & F E Smith and 2/Lts S Hamilton & H C Smith. I would gusee this man is one of the 2/Lts.

Phil

It is astonishing the amount of tosh that can be picked up on the internet once the hare has started running.

Diana, the daughter of Major Thomas Melville Dill, married Kirk Douglas and is the mother of Michael.

Not a lot of people know that! :lol:

Perhaps we should invite Michael and Zeta to join the forum?

Regards

Mel

A fuller version of the Wiki entry from here:

http://www.geocities.com/gpvillain/bma-b.html

When it was decided to raise a first contingent to be detached for service at the Front, the number of volunteers raised was larger than the BVRC's two contingents together. This was to be the first of two contingents the BMA would also send to the Front, and wass composed of three officers and 196 other ranks (although the BMA recruited among the Colony's Black population, commissions were restricted to Whites).. Many men had enlisted specifically for the Front when a recruitment drive had begun before Christmas, 1915. The contingent was embodied on the 10th. January, 1916, and began training at Saint David's.

The commanding officer of the BMA at the time was Major Thomas Melvile Dill. A Member of the Colonial Parliament from 1904 to 1938, he had begun his military service in 1895, in the ranks of the BVRC, achieving a commission before transferring to the BMA in 1900.

Handing his command over to Captain F.S.H. Outerbridge, Major Dill left with the Contingent on 31 May, 1916, arriving in France in June. The Contingent was immediately posted to the Front as part a draft sent by the larger Royal Garrison Artillery.

At that time, the Royal Regiment of Artillery broke down into several major divisions: Those wearing the RA ('Royal Artillery') titles were primarily clerks and involved in ammunition supply. The Royal Field Artillery (RFA), and the Royal Horse Artillery (RHA,) both operated field gun batteries. The Royal Garrison Artillery (RGA) encompassed the Coastal Artillery troops, and was responsible for the railway guns used at the Front.Unlike the other divisions, the RGA was underused during the War, with most never having the opportunity to fire a shot in anger. Consequently, like other under-utilized units, they raised detachments to be used where they were needed (likewise, many who had joined the Royal Navy, thinking to avoid the trenches, found themselves armed with rifles and, as the Royal Naval Division,fighting on the Front lines of France and Turkey).

At the Front, the RGA took on considerable responsibility for ammunition supply to the guns in the field.

From June to December, 1916, the Contingent found itself at the Somme, working in the ammunition dumps, upplying the field guns and howitzers. They were joined, the following year, by a Second Contingent of 2 officers and 56 men.

They would serve at Vimy Ridge, subsequently working closely with the Canadian Corps. On the 23rd. May, 1917, they were moved to Messines. On the 24th. June, they went to the Ypres Salient, remaining there 'til the 22nd. October, 1917. In January, 1918, they were sent to Normandy for a rest, but were soon back at the Front.

During most of their time in France, the Islanders were split up in detachments, serving at different locations. The largest number ever to serve together at one place and time was at the Ypres Salient, where Major Dill had 240 men.

There, they found themselves under German balloon observation, and, frequently, under fire, losing two Gunners, Swan and Place, there.

The Bermudians were popular with the supply officers for their fitness and industriousness. It was said that they were able, by lifting ammunition into lorries by hand, rather than with devices as was the norm, to greatly speed the supply of ammunition to the guns.

Although serving behind the trenches, the Artillery troops would not infrequently come under enemy small arms and artillery fire, and aerial bombardment. Together with the diseases that ravaged both sides, this was to cost them ten men, killed or died.

Members of the contingents would earn one Military Cross, one MSM, and two Military Medals.

In 1917, Field Marshall Sir Douglas Haig, the Commander-in-Chief in France, wrote his own commendation of the Contingents' , praising their gallantry and devotion to duty.

On tha Armistice, the Bermudians were stationed near to the Belgian border. Major Dill had left the field on leave on 6th. October, 1918, returning to Bermuda. Arriving in December, he was greeted at the dock by dignitaries and well-wishers. He was given an apology for the failure of a Guard of Honour to meet him, owing to 'the breaking-up of the BMA'.This must have meant a return to the peacetime schedule of soldiering on the odd week-night, rather than de-mobilization, as the unit was to continue in existence for another 46 years.

Crikey! I have just re-read part of that last post:

At that time, the Royal Regiment of Artillery broke down into several major divisions: Those wearing the RA ('Royal Artillery') titles were primarily clerks and involved in ammunition supply. The Royal Field Artillery (RFA), and the Royal Horse Artillery (RHA,) both operated field gun batteries. The Royal Garrison Artillery (RGA) encompassed the Coastal Artillery troops, and was responsible for the railway guns used at the Front.Unlike the other divisions, the RGA was underused during the War, with most never having the opportunity to fire a shot in anger. Consequently, like other under-utilized units, they raised detachments to be used where they were needed (likewise, many who had joined the Royal Navy, thinking to avoid the trenches, found themselves armed with rifles and, as the Royal Naval Division,fighting on the Front lines of France and Turkey).

I wonder what the artillery buffs would make of that !!!!!

If Outerbridge stayed behind, that makes 5 officers going to the front. 4 are on the photo and I assume Dill is in the middle. Strange that it says that commissions wwre restricted to whites when there appears to be a coloured officer there?

PS I`m in favour of Ms Zeta Jones joining the forum!

Mjr T M Dill, and 50 ORs'

Lt S Hamilton and 50 ORs'

Lt Smith and 50 ORs'

2/Lt C A Gosling

Reference: Their war diary.

Are the four that went to France. Other than the Mjr I cannot make out the other ranks so do not know which is which.

Rgds Paul

Mjr T M Dill, and 50 ORs'

Lt S Hamilton and 50 ORs'

Lt Smith and 50 ORs'

2/Lt C A Gosling

Reference: Their war diary.

Are the four that went to France. Other than the Mjr I cannot make out the other ranks so do not know which is which.

Rgds Paul

This may help.

http://www.bermuda-online.org/warveterans.htm

Christine

He wasn't! There were others, but they have not had the publicity.

• 13 years later...

I have been going through the  war diary for the Bermuda Contingent RGA [WO 95/397/5 Page 80 onwards] which covers the period June 1916 to  June 1917. After that the trail has gone cold.

The Bermuda Contingent RGA were in the Ypres Sector at the time and one of the last entries records they are being administred by 32 Labour Group. I tried that war diary but found no reference to the Bermudan Gunners.

Anyone know where I can confirm their movements from June 1917 onwards ?

Ian

23 minutes ago, ianjonesncl said:

I have been going through the  war diary for the Bermuda Contingent RGA [WO 95/397/5 Page 80 onwards] which covers the period June 1916 to  June 1917. After that the trail has gone cold.

The Bermuda Contingent RGA were in the Ypres Sector at the time and one of the last entries records they are being administred by 32 Labour Group. I tried that war diary but found no reference to the Bermudan Gunners.

Anyone know where I can confirm their movements from June 1917 onwards ?

Ian

@aodhdubhwill probably be able to assist with this and it might also be of passing interest to @Major Preston Gill RBR.

Edited by FROGSMILE

I have seen the photgraph on a few sites but never named. 

Many thanks

7 minutes ago, PhilB said:

What is the rank of Frost, front row left? Looks like a sergeant major.

I think he’s probably the BSM (WOII).  The ‘BSB’ annotation seems to be a misprint, or transposition error.  Then at the opposite end of the row would be the BQMS, ergo the most senior men straddling the officers.

Edited by FROGSMILE

The contingent was actually two, one proceeding overseas in 1916, and the other in 1917. The second was absorbed into the first, so usually reference is only made to "the" contingent. The contingent(s) were a draft of volunteers from the Bermuda Militia Artillery (which was part of the Royal Regiment Artillery and of the British Army), but the Militia terms of service were for local service, so all militia personnel were recommissioned or re-attested as temporary regulars, meaning you would need their militia as well as their regular numbers to track their entire services. Not all members of the BMA were militia...as had been the case with Militia Artillery in the British Isles (disbanded before the war) some members of the permanent staff were regular army, temporarily serving with the unit. This might or might not include the Commandant, depending on the period, who originally was also the Adjutant. After the war these were normally separate appointments. The OC of the overseas contingent had been a Captain (TM Dill) acting as Commandant at the time the contingent was formed, and after the war became the first (non-acting) Commandant from within the unit (ie, the first Bermudian...never "Bermudan"...in the role). I must turn my hand to something at the moment, but will write at greater length later.

2022-04-28 update: I should mention an important point (some of this will be generally known in this circle, but certain points will not)...the Home Militia Artillery (all garrison artillery, except one field brigade) had become Special Reserve with the 1908 re-organisation of the Home local forces (the Volunteer Artillery units, obviously, became Territorial Force at the same time). It was desired to re-organise and retrain them as field artillery, so they (other than the already existing field artillery brigade) were redesignated field artillery at the same time, but that plan was not carried through and all were disbanded in 1909 except, as I recollect, one in Cork and another in the North of Ireland (Antrim Artillery) as there were no Volunteer Force/Territorial Force artillery units in Ireland. The one in Cork obviously had a short shelf life thereafter. The Antrim Artillery was demobilised with the rest of the Special Reserve after the First World War...it was re-organised as a Territorial army unit in 1939, and converted to an engineering unit after the last coastal artillery was taken out of use in 1956. Some colonial Militia Artillery units survived for a time, but the Bermuda Militia Artillery appears to have been the last remaining Militia Artillery unit, as far as I can tell, when it re-organised on Territorial Army lines in 1928 (part of the policy to transfer all Home coastal artillery duties from the regular army to the Territorial Army during the 1920s...as an Imperial fortress, Bermuda was generally treated more as part of the UK than other colonies, hence the local forces all being funded out of Army funds). As far as the war is concerned, the coastal batteries obviously saw little action during the war, and the RGAs heavy and siege batteries in the field were increased dramatically...the RGA consequently ran down the regular and TA coastal batteries personnel by drafting coastal gunners to heavy batteries and other roles in the field overseas. Although TA artillery units were sent to the Western Front, as far as I know no Special Reserve artillery units were (the Special Reserve units had a role in home defence, still, but mainly existed to provide a pool of trained personnel for transfer to regular battalions and companies serving abroad, hence they were no longer recruited under local service terms), and no other Militia Artillery unit other than the Bermuda Militia Artillery sent a contingent to the Western Front or any other theatre. Although the Bermuda Contingent was sent trained and ready to serve as a Heavy Battery, as it was intended that its strength would be maintained only by further drafts from Bermuda it was decided that it would be highly unlikely that it could be kept up to strength as such, so it was instead used in ammunition supply, for the most part broken up into detachments scattered about the front.

Edited by aodhdubh

Apologies. I am very hard-pressed for time, and have not been able to consider this as yet, but will return again with a proper reply. For the moment, I will upload another photograph, evidently from the same occasion as that shown above, but of the entire contingent, not only the officers, commissioned, warrant, or senior non-commissioned. Basic dates and locations are recorded below. The contingent moved about frequently, and spent much of its time broken up in parties working separately at different parts of the Front. When the military GOC (and civil Governor) of Bermuda, Lieutenant-General Sir George Mackworth Bullock (Devonshire Regiment) was replaced in 1917 by General Sir James Willcocks (100th (Prince of Wales's Royal Canadian) Regiment of Foot), he took over the leadership of the Bermuda Contingents' Committee, based in England, that was concerned with the welfare of Bermudian servicemen and -women serving abroad (there were probably at least as many Bermudians serving in various non-Bermudian military units and the Royal Navy and Royal Marines as there were in the contingents from the Bermuda Militia Artillery and Bermuda Volunteer Rifle Corps and the Committee was concerned with all of them, not simply the contingent members). As such, he attempted to visit both the BMA and BVRC (with 1st Battalion Lincolnshire Regiment) contingents on the Western Front. Although he did meet with the BVRC contingent, he was never able to locate the BMA contingent (Bermuda Contingent of the Royal Garrison Artillery), finding only others who had served alongside them previously. Pinning down precise movements in 1916 today will be similarly difficult. William Frost, incidentally, was not a Battery Sergeant Major at the time, as near as I have been able to work out: the London Gazette on 17/06/1918, regarding his being awarded the MSM, listed him as "87280 By. Q.M.-SJt. W. Frost, R.G.A. (Bow-road, E.)" and the associated medal card shows him as "By. Q. M. Sjt. Bermuda By. R.G.A.") He was still serving in 1923, so his service papers (if they still survive) or not accessible except to immediate family. I have not been able to work out whether he had been assigned to the Permanent Staff of the BMA in Bermuda, then proceeded abroad with the Bermuda Contingent RGA, was assigned to the Bermuda Contingent RGA in Bermuda and proceeded overseas with it, or was assigned to the Bermuda Contingent RGA after it had proceeded from Bermuda. I am inclined to think ha proceeded overseas with it from Bermuda, and could confirm that if I had the actual orders from Bermuda showing the date he joined the BMA Permanent Staff or the overseas contingent, but I have not been able to locate those, if they still survive. Such appointments, before the war, were generally published in the "Extracts from General Orders/Brigade Orders/Command Orders" in the Royal Gazette, but that practice seems to have been suspended during the war. I can say that he returned to Bermuda as an acting CSM along with the bulk of the contingent (four commissioned officers, Frost , acting CQMS Locke, and 194 other ranks) on the SS Ulua, arriving on the 11th of July, 1919. CSM Monaghan of the BMA Permanent Staff departed Bermuda on the same ship. The Bermuda Contingent RGA was demobilised on the 11th of August, 1919, other than thirty who re-engaged as regulars for twelve months (the militia, obviously, other than full-time service during wartime, was only embodied for annual training. The BMA was actually embodied already for annual training when war had been declared in 1914 and had remained embodied for the duration, but - other than the overseas contingent - had disembodied and returned to its peacetime schedule on the 31st of December, 1918. Demobilisation had actually been phased, beginning on 29th of November, and completed on the 31st of December).  a/CSM Frost was attached to the BMA Permanent Staff on the 12th of August, 1919. He may have left the BMA Permanent Staff and transferred to the District Establishment or a regular company by the 28th of April, 1920, as he was not indicated as being BMA when he was presented with the three medals (Long Service Medal, Good Conduct Medal, and Meritorious Service Medal) on that date at St. George's Garrison by the GOC Bermuda, General Willcocks (he was shown as "CQMS W. Frost, RGA", which might imply he had joined 3 or 95 Company, rather than District Establishment). A clue as to his service prior to the Bermuda Contingent RGA is that on the 27th of May, 1921 (when he was shown as a BSM), he was presented (by GOC Bermuda, General Willcocks, at St. George's Garrison, again) with the 1914-1915 star, implying he was on the Western Front in 1915, and if he joined the BMA Permanent Staff or the Bermuda Contingent RGA in Bermuda before the (1st) contingent departed Bermuda on 31st of May, 1916, it must have been after that. It is, of course, possible that he joined the BMA or the 2nd Contingent after that and proceeded overseas again with the 2nd Contingent in 1917.

BC RGA - First World War 000-NEW NMB 2020 large.jpg

@aodhdubh many thanks for your time and information, very much appreciated.

Ian

Yes, thanks gents. Nice to give the Bermuda chaps a bit of exposure. Did they suffer many casualties out there?

1 hour ago, PhilB said:

Yes, thanks gents. Nice to give the Bermuda chaps a bit of exposure. Did they suffer many casualties out there?

Wears, R.G. Gnr. Royal Garrison Artillery* 18 Nov, 1916

Died of pneumonia.

Stowe, A. Gnr. Royal Garrison Artillery* 20 May, 1917

Died of wounds.

Easton, W.E. Gnr. Royal Garrison Artillery* 8 June, 1917

Died of wounds.

Condor, W.A.  Gnr.  Royal Garrison Artillery* 28 June, 1917

Died of pneumonia.

Mussenden, J. Gnr. Royal Garrison Artillery* 31 October, 1917

Died of wounds.

Place, C.W. Gnr. Royal Garrison Artillery* 2 November, 1917

KIA

Swan, S.S. Gnr. Royal Garrison Artillery* 17 November, 1917

Died of wounds.

Burgesson, A.  Gnr. Royal Garrison Artillery* 6 June, 1918           

Died of pneumonia.

Richardson, W. Gnr. Royal Garrison Artillery* 2 December, 1918 

Died in hospital in France.

Joell, W. Gnr. Royal Garrison Artillery* 9 December, 1918

Died in hospital.

Each to be regretted, of course, but it seems a low rate especially if you remove the died of sickness men?