Swan, S.S. Gnr. Royal Garrison Artillery* 17 November, 1917

Died of wounds.

Burgesson, A.  Gnr. Royal Garrison Artillery* 6 June, 1918           

Died of pneumonia.

Richardson, W. Gnr. Royal Garrison Artillery* 2 December, 1918 

Died in hospital in France.

Joell, W. Gnr. Royal Garrison Artillery* 9 December, 1918

Died in hospital.

The Bermuda Contingent RGA were involved primarily with operating ammunition dumps behind the lines and supplying ammunition to the guns...presumably primarily to heavy artillery. Although they came under fire, they were not in as dangerous positions as infantry so their casualties were relatively light. The Bermuda Volunteer Rifle Corps contingent(s) being infantry suffered far heavier casualties (75% killed, captured, or invalided by wounds or disease for the combined 1st and 2nd contingents). To the contingents' losses must be added the Bermudians serving in other units, and other arms of service, including the Canadian Expeditionary Forces, a number of battalions of which were trained in Bermuda before deploying to Europe, and many Bermudians joined them in Bermuda or Canada. The first Bermudian killed in the war served in the Royal Navy and died in the sinking of HMS Aboukir. Research has been adding more names to the honour roll, but the last I checked it was near 90 Bermudians killed in the war. Population of Bermuda at the time was around 18,000.

14 minutes ago, PhilB said:

Each to be regretted, of course, but it seems a low rate especially if you remove the died of sickness men?

Those who died from sickness are a reflection that those men volunteered to leave a warm climate to serve on the Western Front. There were problems with frost bight and pneumonia. In October 1916 the war diary records "Orders to standby for sustainment for station in warmer climate".. shortly afterwards the Bermuda Contingent RGA moved to Marseilles where they spent the winter assisting the Royal Navy. 

They returned to the Western Front in April 1917. The war diary does not go beyond June 1917 (as far as I am aware). One question being what happened in Winter 1917-1918.

8 hours ago, ianjonesncl said:

Those who died from sickness are a reflection that those men volunteered to leave a warm climate to serve on the Western Front. There were problems with frost bight and pneumonia. In October 1916 the war diary records "Orders to standby for sustainment for station in warmer climate".. shortly afterwards the Bermuda Contingent RGA moved to Marseilles where they spent the winter assisting the Royal Navy. 

They returned to the Western Front in April 1917. The war diary does not go beyond June 1917 (as far as I am aware). One question being what happened in Winter 1917-1918.

Bermuda is not that warm, really...it has an oceanic climate so winter is not so cold and summers not so hot. Winters are generally (or were, before climate change) chilly, windy, dark, and wet (wind chill is a significant factor there, and can put felt temperatures below freezing, though I do not think ambient temperatures have dropped below freezing since the 19th Century)...summers can be the same except for the chilly part. Temperatures will get as high as 30 degrees Celsius (86 Fahrenheit) by mid-summer. As an oceanic climate, seasons change slowly, so it is often downright miserable and cool still in May when temperatures in the US North-East are hitting the 80s, but summer fades as slowly. Warmest point in the year is the end of July and early August. Coldest is the end of February/early March. I have moved from Bermuda to Wales in June and noted Wales had temperatures hitting 30 degrees, while Bermuda was still chilly. Living in the mountains of Western Massachusetts, the winter temperatures would be 20 to 30 degrees below freezing, and even with global warming my folks had 40 degrees below freezing there about three or four years back. In Spring, however, it warms fast and temperatures were hitting the 80s when Bermuda was still in the 60s. When I lived in northern Germany, we had temperatures over 100 Fahrenheit, where Bermuda rarely sees temperatures above 86 F in mid-summer. Bermuda's forecast for tomorrow (correction..Friday) is High 21C / 69F and Low 16C / 61F, compared to Glasgow 16C/61F and 7C/45F. Paris is actually to reach 22C/72F tomorrow. The Royal Bermuda Regiment carries out much of its training in North Carolina at USMC Camp Lejeune, with rifle companies going there for annual camps in March. The PNCO Cadre, however, would go there at the start of June, when temperatures in Bermuda were in the upper 70s and temperatures in Jacksonville, NC, were 115 degrees, and heatstroke always a serious problem both because Bermuda never sees anything like that temperature, but also because the wind coming from the West in both locations, Bermuda always has a humid climate, especially in warm weather, and sweat sits on your skin, but in North Carolina the dry breeze from inland means you often are unaware how much water you are losing through sweat and become dehydrated. Bermudians generally cope with cold weather well, but not necessarily to sudden, dramatic changes. The talk of weather affecting RGA soldiers was not repeated for the all white Bermuda Volunteer Rifle Corps soldiers who served in the trenches from 1915 through the end of the war, which reflects the different attitude to blacks rather than any actual difference. The Bermudian RGA soldiers were actually noted to be fitter than their fellows from the UK-proper (many of whom came from deprived urban backgrounds), and improved the supply of ammunition to the guns where they worked as it was the practice to load heavy shells into wagons and lorries by running them up planks of wood, but the Bermudians just picked them up and put them on. Casualties to influenza was high even before 1918, as well as to other diseases, and I have seen nothing to indicate the Bermudians in the Bermuda Contingent RGA suffered more casualties to disease than soldiers from other locales. They simply suffered fewer casualties to bullets, bombs and shells, which is true of all personnel who worked behind the lines. Bermuda's peculiar climate is the reason temperate uniforms were worn most of the year and tropical uniforms in the summer. This photo shows Royal Fusiliers in Bermuda, between the 23rd and 28th of January, 1905, wearing quite the mix of dress. I've also uploaded the weather report for that week...the Lighthouse Keeper who signed that, incidently, had two sons who served in the Canadian Army Medical Corps during the First World War.

3rd Battalion Royal Fusiliers in Bermuda, 1905

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bermudians_in_the_Canadian_Expeditionary_Force

P1160482cr1mod.jpg

1905-01-31 RG-Weekly weather report 23-29 Jan cr.jpg

Edited by aodhdubh

Picking through accounts by members of the Contingent for references to their movements:

1002 Gunner George Spring Bascome of Somerset, Bermuda (aged 18 in 1916, who had enlisted for the Front, rather than volunteering from already serving locally in the BMA, at a recruiting drive in Somerset at Christmas, 1915, and reported for duty in January, 1916. While crossing the Atlantic, he recalled there was much German naval activity as the Battle of Jutland was raging. The Contingent arrived in England and proceeded to France ten days later) stated that on arrival in France and Flanders in June, 1916, "Major Thomas Dill and a Lieutenant Hamilton took one group of us to a place outside Albert in Belgium....We had arrived for the Sommes. Just 22 days after leaving Bermuda we were on the battlefield.....There was a seven-day bombardment [beginning on the 24th of June] to soften up the Germans and then the British made the push"...."we went to all different parts of France"..."When we were at a place called St. Jeans, which is just outside Ypres, two men were killed.....I was on guard duty that night watching for airplanes and poison gas when Gunner Swan and Place were blown up taking ammunition out of the battery"..."We had about four or five fellows die of pneumonia and things like that...It was easy to pick up infections"....."We had to go to a battery very close to the German lines to take up some ammunition. The Germans made three counter attacks that night and we couldn't do anything but get into a dug-out and wait there. All you could see was machine gun bullets whizzing around you and I was terrified." When the Armistice was announced "We were at a place called Cuckoo. It was a very happy day and we drank plenty of champagne."

A photograph of Gunner Bascome in Germany in 1919 is below.

Gunner George Spring Bascome - Germany 1919.jpg

Edited by aodhdubh

Major Thomas Melville Dill ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Melville_Dill ), commanding the contingent (and grandfather of actor Michael Douglas), returned to Bermuda on four months' leave at the end of December, when he gave this account of the contingent's service:

"The health of the B.R.G.A. men during the past year has been excellent on the whole. They suffered a good deal during the winter of 1916 from not being acclimated and many developed attacks of pneumonia in a rather whole-souled fashion which gave us some cause for anxiety.

When I left France, however, they were in very good shape. Lieut. Stuart Hamilton had a bad go of the influenza in Marseilles last winter, but was very well when I last saw him. At last reports Capt. Tucker was acting as Town Major in a place near Arras.

From June to December of 1916 the B.M.A. were on the Somme. Then we got three months in Marseilles to recuperate from the trying effects of the climate and the hard work. At the beginning of April we were sent north again just in time to get into the Vimy show, being stationed at Neuville St. Vaast, where we stayed till the 23rd May. Then we were sent to Plugstratte in time to be on hand during the Messines gun attack of June 7th where we had a hot time.

On June 24th we were at Vlammeringhe Ypres Salient, and stayed there until Oct. 22nd, when we were shifted to St. Jean. Our battery stayed at that point until the 18th of January, this year. Then we were sent to Normandy for rest.

From Normandy we were sent back to the line and during July we were stationed at a point between Robecq and St. Venant. Later on we went to a place in the neighbourhood of Cassell and Steenworde and after the attack of Sept. 28th, we were sent to Bailleul, where the B.M.A. were still stationed when I left on Oct. 6 to get leave. Later on they went to Menin and that is where Lt. Stuart Hamilton is. It was while we were stationed in the Ypres Salient that we saw some of the hottest fighting. We lay in a broad field and the Boshes had direct observation by balloons on Pilkem Ridge. At that time I had 240 of our men assembled and this was the largest number we had together at any one period. For the most part. We were split up into detachments and kept at different points handling ammunition for various corps.

Our men were particularly good at this work, being strong armed and able to handle heavy shells. It was noticeable that where other troops had to run the 8-inch shells up an inclined plank to get them into the lorries, our people would lift them direct and so were able to save precious time.

During October of last year we were living in dug-outs at a point of the line between St. Jean and Wietje.

It was while we were on the Somme that I noticed the remarkable development in aerial photography which helped our artillery to such good purpose. The airmen would go up and take pictures of the enemy trenches, locating the position of every hit we made. Within two hours these photographs would be developed and printed in shape to paste together so that we had absolutely accurate data to go on.

One very noticeable change in the past year was the ability shown by our commanders to keep secret [t]he proposed new moves. In the beginning all sorts of information would leak out. Of course some of it filtered through to the enemy. But latterly things were managed better and even in our own lines it was impossible to glean an inkling of what was coming off next day."

1918 ca Thomas Melville Dill - Major.jpg

Edited by aodhdubh

10 minutes ago, aodhdubh said:

On June 24th we were at Vlammeringhe Ypres Salient, and stayed there until Oct. 22nd, when we were shifted to St. Jean. Our battery stayed at that point until the 18th of January, this year. Then we were sent to Normandy for rest.

From Normandy we were sent back to the line and during July we were stationed at a point between Robecq and St. Venant. Later on we went to a place in the neighbourhood of Cassell and Steenworde and after the attack of Sept. 28th, we were sent to Bailleul, where the B.M.A. were still stationed when I left on Oct. 6 to get leave. Later on they went to Menin and that is where Lt. Stuart Hamilton is. It was while we were stationed in the Ypres Salient that we saw some of the hottest fighting. We lay in a broad field and the Boshes had direct observation by balloons on Pilkem Ridge. At that time I had 240 of our men assembled and this was the largest number we had together at any one period. For the most part. We were split up into detachments and kept at different points handling ammunition for various corps.

Our men were particularly good at this work, being strong armed and able to handle heavy shells. It was noticeable that where other troops bad to run the 8-inch shells up an inclined plank to get them into the lorries, our people would lift them direct and so were able to save precious time.

During October of last year we were living in dug-outs at a point of the line between St. Jean and Wietje.

@aodhdubh many thanks for outlining the Bermuda Contigents movements after June 1917 when the war diary ends. I wondered what happened during the winter of 1917-18, and it looks like they were sent to Normandy, then returned to the Ypres Sector till the armistice.

10 hours ago, PhilB said:

Capt L C Smith left no memoir?

"L" is an error...should be "H.C. Smith". I doubtless have something on him, but cannot check right now. I'll come back to you.

2022-04-29 02:24 Update - I have no first hand account by Smith. I can say he had originally been commissioned as a 2nd Lieutenant (BMA) in March, 1913. He was promoted to substantive Captain 5th of April, 1923, and resigned his commission with effect 25th of February, 1930, and was granted the honorary rank of Major. He was given an emergency commission as a 2nd Lieutenant on the 6th of October, 1939 (war substantive lieutenant 30th of June, 1940, and temporary Captain on the same date), and resigned his commission in 1942.

Edited by aodhdubh

Just an aside, not directly connected to the BMA or its overseas contingent, but for an idea of what Bermuda looked like circa 1914, the 1912 film "The Relief of Lucknow" is on Youtube. Filmed in Bermuda, pretended to be India, I recognise many of the filming locations, which include the Prospect Camp golf links and golf clubhouse...the film makers received considerable assistance from the garrison, and the extras playing soldiers are mostly actual soldiers (from the 2nd Battalion of the The Queen's (Royal West Surrey) Regiment)...most of whom undoubtedly went on to fight in the First World War.

Edited by aodhdubh

Makes my back ache just looking at that shell handling. What would such a shell weigh?

2 hours ago, PhilB said:

Makes my back ache just looking at that shell handling. What would such a shell weigh?

6 inch gun = 100 lb = 45 kg

8 inch shells were twice the weight

On 27/02/2009 at 13:06, MelPack said:

Crikey! I have just re-read part of that last post:

the RGA was underused during the War, with most never having the opportunity to fire a shot in anger. 

I wonder what the artillery buffs would make of that !!!!!

Well apart form the around 45 million shells give or take a few million.

On 27/02/2009 at 13:06, MelPack said:

Crikey! I have just re-read part of that last post:

the RGA was underused during the War, with most never having the opportunity to fire a shot in anger. 

I wonder what the artillery buffs would make of that !!!!!

Well apart form the around 45 million shells give or take a few million.

That's an error...for "RGA" read "Coastal Artillery".

• 3 weeks later...

A Blog entry which may be of interest.

• 4 months later...

On the subject of ammunition supply in the field...The missus and I went to London for the Jubilee on 2nd of June...couldn't get nearer Horse Guards and the Mall than the far side of Trafalgar Square, but at least we were directly under the flypast. I was flogged past the First World War Royal Artillery memorial too quickly, on the way there, to obtain a better photograph than this (my interest in military history not being mutual), but I thought the statue of a Gunner bearing ammunition (in the deep pockets of a specially designed garment) would be of interest.

P1440190.JPG

Edited by aodhdubh

7 hours ago, aodhdubh said:

A better photograph online...

Royal Artillery Memorial, London

The carrier was made from a very stout cotton canvas.

2373BFE3-937E-494D-95BD-384557E29ED7.jpeg

CD01C55C-C37A-4A99-ACEE-B615CB276F94.jpeg

6A156ABB-7020-4740-B542-2D5ADBD92F0C.jpeg

71B2CFE8-6EE4-40EC-8BE9-829710CA60F9.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

9 minutes ago, PhilB said:

What would be the maximum weight there? My back aches at the thought of it!

I don’t know, but m’learned colleague @ianjonesncl will probably be able to advise. 

Edited by FROGSMILE

Assuming those are 4 x 4.5in QF howitzer shells (as marked on the carrier leg), then each shell weighs 35lbs. Each man therefore would carry 140lbs plus weight of carrier and packing. Is that reasonable?

Ordnance QF 4.5 inch Howitzer Field Gun

Country of Origin United Kingdom
Type Field Gun
Caliber 114.000 mm
Length 2,700.000 mm
Barrel Length 1,500.000 mm
Weight 1493.000 kg
Ammunition Weight 15.90 kg
Rate of Fire 4 rounds/min
Range 6,400 m
Muzzle Velocity 308 m/s

1 hour ago, PhilB said:

Assuming those are 4 x 4.5in QF howitzer shells (as marked on the carrier leg), then each shell weighs 35lbs. Each man therefore would carry 140lbs plus weight of carrier and packing. Is that reasonable?

Ordnance QF 4.5 inch Howitzer Field Gun

Country of Origin United Kingdom
Type Field Gun
Caliber 114.000 mm
Length 2,700.000 mm
Barrel Length 1,500.000 mm
Weight 1493.000 kg
Ammunition Weight 15.90 kg
Rate of Fire 4 rounds/min
Range 6,400 m
Muzzle Velocity 308 m/s

That looks perfectly sound to me Phil.

The shell carrier on the RA Memorial looks to be 18 pounder ammunition as there are cartridge cases sticking out. So 4 x 18 lbs = 72 lbs.

Those rounds are complete with charge bags in the cartridge cases.

The calculation of 140pounds for 4.5" howitzer certainly looks right.  The litttle pockets on the garment I would think were for charge bags.

It looks a very awkward way to carry such a heavy weight. How far would they usually be expected to carry such loads in those harnesses?