Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Mons Star decoration

Gunner Bailey

The clasp had to be claimed and that claim verified. I am beginning to suspect that the means of verification had been lost for many of the men who do not have it listed on the MIC or medal roll.

Did the Cadres comprise Men who had a TF commitment?Did men who had been TF,and suffered the indignities of War, been wounded,demobbed etc,immediately turn up for the next arranged drill night, or did the Battalions start again from scratch...?

There are several books on the TF and TA. Have you read those by Ray Westlake? To hand I have only the Illustrated History 1859-1985, which is brief for the inter war period.

The other side to your question is that those who had suffered the indignities of war had shared experiences with others who had similarly served.

In April 1919 the peace treaty had not been signed, there was still a need for defence. Over the next few years there were various emergancies (particularly 1921 & 22) when the reserves were recalled.

Yes, it's about time one of us did!

To be fair the original correspondence and draft Army Orders refer to it as a decoration.

DRAFT Army Orders? I cannot compete with that source!

His MIC states a clasp number but makes no reference to roses. I presumed this meant it was clasp only and my guess was because he was in a territorial regiment.

The original Army Order for the issuance of the clasp stated that it and the roses were to go out to all recipients.

DRAFT Army Orders? I cannot compete with that source!

My main source for the background to the issue of the 1914 Star by the Admiralty is ADM 1/8506/269 1914 Star. Army order of 24th November notifying award 1917; some transcripts from which appeared in W.H. Fevyer and J.W. Wilson, 1914 Star to the Royal Navy and Royal Marines. This Admiralty file contains original correspondence from Buckingham Palace, the War Office (including the draft army order) and between various interested parties that refer to 'bronze star decoration' or '1914 star decoration. ' None of them call it the Mons Star decoration. In Army Order 350 of 1917 in the opening paragraph it is still referred to as 'a decoration'.