Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Victory II

Duncan

Walter Marshall joined the RoyalNavy in October 1918 on a short service engagement as a stoker, initially serving on the battleship Ramilles, then a period in Portsmouth (Victory II) and finally onboard the stokers training ship HMS Fisgard (also in Portsmouth). Discharged in 1923 due tuberculosis.
MB

1 hour ago, KizmeRD said:

Walter Marshall joined the RoyalNavy in October 1918 on a short service engagement as a stoker,

Small correction: he was enlisted on a Special Service (SS) engagement which, but for his early discharge invalided with TB, would have required him to serve five years in the Fleet (from his 18th birthday) followed by seven years in the Royal Fleet Reserve (RFR).

However, he transferred to this SS engagement on 20 March 1919 from an earlier Continuous Service (CS) 12-year engagement as a seaman. under Official No, J.57960, which he entered as a Boy Seaman in August 1916. This CS engagement also started on his 18th birthday 23 Oct 1918. His transfer to the Stoker branch took place during his service in HMS RAMILLES.

His earlier seaman's record is here:-  https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/D6956873

Edited by horatio2

• 1 month later...
Guest David Skinner

Hi I have been researching my Grandfather, Henry ‘Ted’ Skinner. He joined the RN in 1911, as a boy steward, having been born in 1894. By 1913 he was a Stoker 2nd class, on board HMS Monarch.he was present at  the battle of Jutland in 1916. He thereafter was drafted to the Q Ships operating from Queenstown in what is today The Irish Republic and is now called Cobh. On his service record he is shown as serving on HMS Victory II, which would fit in as this was a purely administrative device. I hope this is of benefit to those who are doing the same as me.

Morning Dave - Thanks for your info on this, when I got his Service Record I just could not work it out at the time, this Form help me with the information.

Cheers 

Oakjim

• 3 months later...

Hi, Researching a sailor from one of the local cemeteries I look after - M31726 Percy Sollers

Enlisted 29 May 1918 and at Victory II until August 1918

Then, sadly for him, joined the crew of HMS Glatton on 31 August 1918 - sixteen days before she was deliberately torpedoed in Dover harbour after an explosion in her mid-ships 6 inch magazine.

My question is - Had Victory II returned to Plymouth by then or was it still at Crystal palace?  Any way of knowing where this sailor was between May/Aug 1918?

Thanks

Sollers Service.jpg

Edited by huwrevans
Changed pdf for jpg

6 minutes ago, huwrevans said:

Had Victory II returned to Plymouth by then or was it still at Crystal palace? 

The HMS VICTORY pay offices were never at Plymouth and there is no evidence that subdivision II was ever physically located at Crystal Palace.

However, men at Crystal Palace were 'on the books' of HMS VICTORY II (not physically "at" VICTORY II), as were some stokers (and ERA's by this record) under training at Portsmouth.

It is more likely that the VICTORY II pay office was at located at Portsmouth with other Victory pay offices (e.g. I, IIII, IV, VI, X). You can be pretty certain that ERA SOLLERS was never at Crystal Palace, as you suggest, but underwent his initial training at Portsmouth.

7 hours ago, horatio2 said:

but underwent his initial training at Portsmouth

As an Artificer it is possible that he trained at Fisgard in Portsmouth.

This is a link to the Fisgard Association that is an Artificer timeline.

https://thefisgardassociation.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=239&Itemid=499

May be worth a look, I am a member of this organisation. 

Tony

He was certainly was not on the books of FISGARD, which took Boy Artificers in WW1. That said, I am not certain where the Acting ERA 4s (entered as men on the books of VICTORY II) were trained at Portsmouth.

1 hour ago, horatio2 said:

He was certainly was not on the books of FISGARD, which took Boy Artificers in WW1. That said, I am not certain where the Acting ERA 4s (entered as men on the books of VICTORY II) were trained at Portsmouth.

I realise he was not on the books of Fisgard, but as a direct entry trained fitter and turner, he would need some time, to be trained in the ways of the Navy, and some Artificer training.

Six months would seem to be the right amount of time but where the training took place is a mystery.

My suspicion is that the Artificer training would be on a Fisgard hulk but living elsewhere which is why he was on Victory II books.

Tony

She was a fairly new commission. Is it possible that the pay arrangements had not yet transferred from the administrative base to the ship?

(Surgeon E.L. Atkinson was in GLATTON at the same time but does not appear on the Navy List against her name.)

11 hours ago, Talesofaseadog said:

as a direct entry trained fitter and turner, he would need some time, to be trained in the ways of the Navy, and some Artificer training.

Six months would seem to be the right amount of time but where the training took place is a mystery.

L:ooking at the cohort of pre-skilled men who were entered as ERA4 or shipwright in May 1918, most of them were only on the books of VICTORY II for about three months RN induction before being drafted away to the Fleet. On-the-job training seems to have been the norn.

I suspect that there may well have been some initial naval training carried out in Victory barracks, Portsmouth followed by a brief spell of branch training carried out onboard the former HMS Spartiate at Gosport, in order to familiarise these direct entry ERA’s 4th Class with fleet engineering systems and operating procedures prior to them receiving their first seagoing draft.

MB

Good evening 

I can't give you any information about HMS Victory 11, but I can confirm you grandfather was killed in 1918, this list below is all of the people killed at the same time.

I got the information form this web site. 

Glatton, monitor, lost on 16th

BELLAMY, John, Private, RMLI, 20038 (Po), DOW

GATENBY, John W, Able Seaman, J 16844, DOW

GRUNDY, Leonard E F, Able Seaman, J 27569, DOW

NELSON, William H, Boy 1c, J 77521, DOW

ROWE, Robert W, Stoker 2c, K 51334, DOW

SAVE, George A, Carpenters Crew, M 27909, DOW

SNOWBALL, Robert (real name, but served as Cornelius Costello), Stoker 2c, K 59971, DOW

SOLLERS, Percy, Engine Room Artificer 4c, M 31726, DOW

SPENCE, Joseph, Able Seaman, J 14654, DOW

WHITE, Robert G, Leading Stoker, 293758, DOW

WINSTONE, Albert E, Boy 1c, J 76618, DOW

YEWMAN, Alexander, Able Seaman, J 21237, DOW

hope it helps.

Oakjim

• 2 years later...

Hi, have found myself here researching my GGF's naval record. During WW1 he's listed as on Victory II, but i knwo he was in active duty, indeed a POW for a while.

I'd be grateful of any help deciphering more of his record, attached. I believe he was a stoker, but he certainly wasnt in training during the Vii period, would have been a season sailor by then.image.png.22defd35bcc062cdd68a1e7166f903e7.png

Edited by hoss

After enrolling in 1900 for an initial 12 year engagement, G.H.Jeffries bought himself out of the navy in 1905 by paying £8.

£6 was then refunded on condition he joined the Royal Fleet Reserve (for a 5 year term), and subsequently re-enrolled for a further 5 years.

When war broke out he was called-out (mobilised) for service in the Royal Naval Division (Collingwood Battalion) and became interned in Holland following the retreat from Antwerp.

MB

Thanks thats great.
I know that he was allowed to come home for xmas as a POW, which seems strange in modern times. We still have one of his shirts and a postacard from Holland, but i dont know what happened to his medals.
I'm having trouble reading some of the ships served on. Below my best guess, with ship type:

- ???????
- Gibraltar (1892 Edgar class)
- ???????
- Victory (would that be the HMS Victory?)
- Warrior (1860)
- Daredevil??
- Revenge (1892 Sovreign)
- ????????
- Apollo (1891 Apollo)
- ????????
- Retribution (1891 Apollo)
- Fine Queen

Oh and where do you see the medal information?, i've dowloaded his RND card but see no reference.

Edited by hoss

5 hours ago, hoss said:

I'm having trouble reading some of the ships served on. Below my best guess, with ship type:

- ???????  DUKE OF WELLINGTON
- Gibraltar (1892 Edgar class)
- ???????  DUKE OF WELLINGTON
- Victory (would that be the HMS Victory?)  SHE WAS THE NOMINAL SHIP FOR THE PORTSMOUTH BASE AND BARRACKS.
- Warrior (1860)
- Daredevil??    DUKE OF WELLINGTON
- Revenge (1892 Sovreign)
- ????????   SANS PAREIL (1887)
- Apollo (1891 Apollo)
- ????????   RETRIBUTION
- Retribution (1891 Apollo)
- Fine Queen

Edited by horatio2

47 minutes ago, hoss said:

I know that he was allowed to come home for xmas as a POW, which seems strange in modern times.

He was not a POW (of the German enemy) but an internee (of the Dutch, a neutral nation).

Duke of Wellington,

Gibraltar,

Duke of Wellington,

Victory (RN Barracks, Portsmouth),

Warrior,

Duke of Wellington,

Revenge,

San Pareil,

Apollo,

Fire Queen,

Retribution,

Fire Queen.

MB

4 hours ago, hoss said:

where do you see the medal information?, i've dowloaded his RND card but see no reference.

2 x Medal Rolls at TNA   =   ADM 171/106 RN RATINGS MEDAL ROLL Hor to Jol and ADM 171/139 1914 STAR INDEX

2 hours ago, horatio2 said:

2 x Medal Rolls at TNA   =   ADM 171/106 RN RATINGS MEDAL ROLL Hor to Jol and ADM 171/139 1914 STAR INDEX

Sorry could you please explain that?

Ok ignore that, have worked it out, am downloading. Thanks for all of your help chaps.

Edited by hoss