Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

My Family At War

Paul Reed

Have just seen the Walk/Harris programme - the best so far - real drama in the stories being told. Rolf and Kirsty seemed genuinely overawed at times.

BBC's coverage has been great.

Well done to all the Pals who have contributed.

Also to the Pals helping others at this minute as a result of all the interest that has been gleaned.

What this forum is all about.

How we will all cope in 2014 I don't know.

All the best

Stephen

Agreed - best of the bunch, certainly. And agreed, well done to all the Pals who took a part in any of the recent programmes.

David

Yep! I agree it was the best so far, how cruel to go all the way through only to get taken by Spanish flu!

Regards,

Scottie.

... only to get taken by Spanish flu!

....and then at odds of 20:1 in favour of surviving!

So very moving, Rolf was couldn't hide his deep feelings especially at the school !

And those wonderful letters home from James moved me to tears, well done to all!

The Two Little boys song at the end, just finished me off for this week,

Kindest regards

Carol

Just in case anyone is unaware - Rolf's new version of "Two Little Boys" as featured at the end of the programme tonight has been released with proceeds going to the Poppy Appeal. Can be bought from iTunes etc.

A gesture which fittingly commemorates his father & his uncle.

Brian

A wonderful programme. I was distraught at the fate of Sjt Wark. This man was a quiet modest intelligent average bloke who discovered he was a warrior. His DCM proved that. To be taken from his family on the way home by the flu was just an awful fate. Sadly too common, though.

Both these journeys of discovery reminded me of all our trips to the Western Front and the humbling experience of finally standing in front of memorials and graves representing the sad mute ends of great tales of endurance and bravery.

Excellent.

One of the best programmes of the week, I found it very moving, both stories Rolf and Kirsty's gave a human side to the war that sometimes we all miss.

Well done to all the Pals that took part. The two little boys song at the end was for me very moving.

Peter

One word describes this programme...ESSENTIAL.

Many thanks to everyone associated with it.

David

Just watched the final programme on the i-player.

Awesome. Emotionally draining. Compelling viewing. Well done BBC et al.

Phil.

This left me very hungry for more.

You'd think that when you'd seen one you'd seen them all, but not so ; a beguiling mix of experiences.

Well done BBC on both format and the research - and well done the contributors.

The critisism of the one item at the beginning was, I believe, for reasons unique to itself.

I got a bit of dust in my eye. Honest. Both of them....

Steve.

They saved the best for last. Wonderful. moving stuff. If anyone's interested Kirsty's grandfather was in 47 Bn MGC, so even more enigmatic that a Glasgow Chamber of Commerce man ended up fighting in a 'London' Division!

Here is a link to Cromwell Harris's service record

http://naa12.naa.gov.au/scripts/imagine.as...mp;I=1&SE=1

And here is a link to Rolf's uncle Carl Francis Harris's service record

http://naa12.naa.gov.au/Scripts/Imagine.as...mp;SE=1&I=1

A note of interest on page 8 says that pictures of the grave were sent back to the family in Wales. Does anyone know if this was done as a matter of course or would the family have to request this, and when might that have been ?

Regards Steve

Last nights episode with Rolf and Kirsty...

Not a dry eye in the house...

Again a big well done to Paul and the Pals

Tom

Absolutely Fantastic programme, very, very moving. One of the best I've ever seen.

Mick

Must agree. Superb stuff.

Well done to all the Pals that brought factual detail to the programme........

Susan.

Though some people treat Rolf as a bit of a joke sometimes. This programme showed him in a entirely different light, the story we went with him was one of adventure and showing his father and uncle as inseperable and the moving ending when he visited the grave was the best t.v. i've seen for quite a while. Also Kirsty Wark showed another side to her personality the one of sympathy at the story of her rellie, going through 4 years of hell and trying to protect his family from the truth and then only to die from spanish flu.

Both stories were heart rendering and showing the bravery of each soldier and the story behind each grave stone.

I have been in Ypres for the past few days and have just watched the Kirsty Wark/Rolf Harris episode on BBC iPlayer and thought it very moving and well produced. It was certainly the best of the four programmes and I can see why it was broadcast on the 11th. A heart rending episode that made essential viewing. My congratulations to those involved in this programme.

Totally agree with above sentiments. Just watched Wark/Harris myself and extremely moved by it. Saddened that both men almost made it to the end but then to be taken away

Wayne

Sorry: I gave up after 15 minutes and just caught odd little bits two or three times after.

I thought (always have done) that Snow spends too much time pulling silly faces, and to describe him as an historian is stretching credibility. His attitude annoyed me. On the bright side, at least he didn't have his dad with him.

I agree. I have never rated Dan Snow as a credible historian. I've watched far too many programmes where he just parrots poor and uninsightful (if that's a real word), standard accounts of history. Anyone ever see the Snows' account of the Battle of the Boyne? He goes racing off on a mountain bike at one point to prove how difficult the terrain was? What? I didn't know they had mountain bikes back then. Snow completely lacks the credibility and dignity of someone like Richard Holmes for instance. I've always got the impresssion that Snow is infinitely more interested in a "jolly" than he is in proper historical research.

That does not mean that I'm taking the "lions lead by donkeys" line. I appreciate that many of the generals (British, French and German) were involved in a new type of warfare which they had little experience of and actually did (eventually) start to think laterally and avoid the non-strategy of attrition.

Matthew Kelly, Eamon Holmes, Kirsty Wark and Rolf Harris, by contrast, were excellent accounts and Kirsty Wark's story in particular I found extremely poignant.