Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

List of photos in Album

Skipman

Hello the man from Aberfeldy,

Very interesting photo,s. No 18 I think they are Black Watch?, & No 19 are Cadets?

most enjoyable, keep them coming.

Yours Joe

Because of the continuing theme running through the album, I think we're looking at a Glasgow connection here and I wouldn't mind betting that 18 is actually the 1/9th Bn, Highland Light Infantry(Glasgow Highlanders)(TF). The reason for 1/9th is because they all appear to be wearing the Imperial Service brooch.

On top of which, see the pipey standing at the left hand of the group? Then go to the wounded group and does the gentleman lying down with the walrus tash not look the same??

post-7376-1225629997.jpg

Sadly the upload didn't want to play but here is the lad lying down.

post-7376-1225630114.jpg

34rswtl.jpg This is written on back of # 26

(This is my reading of it feel free to correct me)

Taken outside of the

school ground

from left to right Back row

Jas Logan "7 " Coy my instructor

Don't tell him Next "IT" Front row

?? Sgt Daly " SR "

Please voice your opinion.

Cracking photo 21 is of all the senor NCO's of a Cameronian Battalion. Bloke at extreme left standing is the Bugle Major and if you home in on his cuff above his inverted chevrons is the double bugle. Over the right standing in the kilt apron is the Pipe Major and an awful lot of them are wearing collar badges with their SD, which makes it unusual for a pre-war photo.

From what I gather it reads;-

Taken out side of school ground

From left to right back row

Jas(James) Logan 'F' Coy my instructor

Don't ken him next 'it'

Front row Sgt Allan old '? Coy' at Grangemouth

a Cpl Daly 8th S.R.

Please voice your opinion.

Sorted - now know what he's saying;-

Back Row - James Logan 'F' Coy - My Instructor - Don't know him next to my instructor.

Front Row - Sgt Allan(Old "Instructor Coy" at Grangemouth) - Cpl Daly(8th S.R.)

They're members of the 1/7th & 1/8th Scottish Rifles, which were amalgamated for a while as the 7/8th Bn.

Thanks Graham.There is definitely a Glasgow connection.There is also a poignant letter from one of the men ,after the charge at gallipoli on the 28th june 1915.I will post the letter later.

NEW FACT.Alexander Dunlop (who owned album) was a wood merchant in GRANGEMOUTH,not Glasgow.

Facts.Have album that belonged to a man Alexander Dunlop ,wood merchant Grangemouth.

Men from various regiments,some individuals have been identified,many not.

Not known if there is a common link,or if Dunlop knew these men.(the letter may help)

Some of the men are from the Cameronians,and some died on same day 28/6/1915.

Will post letter.

My early identification of 18 as the 1/9th Bn, HLI would be correct as the Glasgow Highlanders served in the Lowland Brigade with the 1/7th & 1/8th Scottish Rifles, but left the Brigade after Grangemouth. All of these battalions served in Grangemouth and wonder is the building behind could be Mr.Dunlops house.

So you have in effect a pictorial history of the Lowland Brigade prior to overseas service.

Thanks Dick,i wanted to make sure. Can anyone help with this?

" the 7th charged gloriously on the forenoon of the 29th" Tom mason 7th bn reg # 1999, ,and the others who died in 'the charge' are in CWGC as having died on the 28th june,do you think that is just a mistake by the letter writer?

...and who is writing to who?

As always,confused Mike.

The letter was written by William Wylie Anderson, father of "Jack" and of this chap whose service record is on Ancestry:

1817 Charles Dow ANDERSON, 7th Scottish Rifles, 54 Darnley Road, Pollokshields

Next of kin: William W Anderson (Father), 54 Darnley Rd, Pollokshields

N.B. His attestation (in Glasgow on 7 Sep 1914) was witnessed by QMS R.B. DUNLOP. Coincidence?

This is the family on the 1901 Scotland census:

5 Manor Crescent, Gourock, Inverkip, Renfrewshire

ANDERSON William W, Head, 33, Mercantile Clerk, born Glasgow

ANDERSON Annabella K, Wife, 32, born Skelmorlie, Ayrshire

ANDERSON John W, Son, 9, Scholar, born Glasgow

ANDERSON Charles D, Son, 6, Scholar, born Glasgow

ANDERSON William W, Son, 1, born Gourock

John W is most likely the Jack referred to in the letter.

Here's John's birth registration:

post-16303-1225705771.jpg

1891 Births in the District of Partick in the County of Lanark

Name and Surname: John Wylie Anderson

When and Where Born: 1891, July Twenty Third, 10h 10m pm, 37 Bank Street, Hillhead, Partick

Sex: M

Father & Mother: William Wylie Anderson, Mercantile Clerk, Annabella Kirk Anderson, M[aiden] S[urname] Dow, married 1891 February 20th, Milton? District, Glasgow

Informant: William Wylie Anderson, Father (Present)

So this is probably John's/Jack's MIC:

post-16303-1225705915.jpg

Can't find any service/pension papers for John/Jack on Ancestry - possibly because he ended up as an officer?

Adrian

Adrian,that's brilliant.Appreciate very much,the time and effort you have put into this.I admit i get mixed up with who's who etc.The story is coming together.The man in photo # 13 is a Company Quartermaster Sergeant number 8686 R B Dunlop?

Will search.

Again can't thank all helpers enough.

Mike.

nl4kky.jpg The man in the middle is John Wylie Anderson (Jack) #1829 B coy 7th scottish rifles.Would you agree other men are related,or same man? one may be Charles Dow Anderson?