Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

List of photos in Album

Skipman

This is a list of images in an album i have been lent.Have had couple other posts regarding this album,any more will appear in this thread. Other relevant threads were,CWGC mix-up or me? and How many units can you identify. both in Soldiers section;

#1. Private 1999 ,identified as Thomas Mason Scottish Rifles.

#2. Private 1821,identified as Richard Wallace

#3. Private 1807,identified as William J Douglas

#4. Unknown

#5. Private 1829.identified as Jack Anderson B coy 156 Inf Bgde,52nd Div.

#6. Private 1820. #6 platoon S/Rifles Haven't identified yet (possibly Harry Stewart) a man Harry mentioned in a letter in album

#7.Officer unidentified.

#8. R Artillery? on horseback.Says "Leaving tomorrow for Devonport,then ship to Egypt" signed Willie.Stamp date 25th Feb unsure but guess 1915.

#9. Unknown.Red cross small circular patch right arm.

#10. Unknown Bros? one in uniform ,one in civvies.

#11. Unknown.2 crossed flags left sleeve,cap badge 5 pointed star in wreath.

#12. Unknown ? Morgan.

#13. Unknown Cameronian S/Rifles. C.Q.M.S. sitting in ruins of building Reg # 8686,have not identified yet.

#14. 2 Very young Argyll & Sutherland H' drummers.

#15. 2 Gordon H'?

More to follow.If anyone is interested in these men,pm me and can email.Will post if enough show interest.

Cheers Mike

# 17. Group photo mixed civilians and 4 soldiers,outside J T Salvesen & Co?

#18 . 5 soldiers in black trousers white shirts/waistcoats/jacket?

# 19 . Group photo 50 + Black Watch sergeants ,maybe HLI + pipers.

#20 . 20 very young soldiers,unidentified Regiment. May be KOSB

# 21. Hospital group mixed Reg/Nurses

#22. Group of 50 Sergeants 17th Btn Cameronians S/Rifles May 1915

# 23. Unknown Sailor

#24. Sailor from HMS ABDIEL. Victor____ or ___Victor

#25. RFA/RGA? 88008, or 80088?

# 26. 5 soldiers Galipolli? Jas Logan , an instructor , Sgt Alan, Instructor at Grangemouth, & Cpl Daly.

# 27. Ship and Airship.Queen Elizabeth class battleship with 'M' class destroyer alongside (thanks to BobH)

#28. 4 Scottish Rifles,one is possib;y Harry Stewart 1821.

# 29. Argyll & Sutherland cyclist

#30. Soldier Possibly Pte Thomas Brown KIA 3/7/1916.Son of George Brown,and Mrs McLachlan.28 Gardner st Partick Glasgow.

Mike,

Can you possibly give us a better scan of that character at the lowere left as it certainly looks very interesting. I've downloaded it, but because it comes with the other three, when you blow it up it blurrs. Looking at the general blurred shape of the badge above the four inverted chevrons, it actually looks like a drum, which would indicate a Drum Major. What is also very interesting and again we need a closer look, it appears as though he's wearing collar badges.

23wjw3r.jpg Hi Graham,this is a scan done at 600 dpi,don't think my computer can handle anything larger.This man is in album containing many Scottish Rifles/Cameronians,though he may be other.CheersMike

Mike,

Brilliant he's Cameronians and it held together on blowing up too. He's wearing the star of an RQMS(Regimental Quartermaster Sergeant) above his chevrons, wearing an officers pattern tunic and wearing collar badges. If you know the Cameronian battalion from which these photos were taken you may be able to identify him.

Excellent.A number of them are from the 7th S/Rifles.He may not be.Will have a search later,at mo' am getting earache to do some chores.You know how it is.Will leave computer on and try sneak a look when get a min' Cheers Mike.

Edit.Meant to say well done on your identification,am always amazed at depth of knowledge on forum.Great stuff Graham.

Nice photies. My granpaw was 2, 1 and 11 Cameronians 1902-07 and 1914-1919 and great uncle was 1 Cameronians 1914-1917. Always interested in seeing and hearing about Regimental comrades.

rich

Mike,

Brilliant he's Cameronians and it held together on blowing up too. He's wearing the star of an RQMS(Regimental Quartermaster Sergeant) above his chevrons, wearing an officers pattern tunic and wearing collar badges. If you know the Cameronian battalion from which these photos were taken you may be able to identify him.

Graham, being a bit picky, he is THE Quartermaster Sergeant of the battalion. Second only to the Sergeant Major [again, not 'Regimental']. Which is not to say that, in some battalions, he was not known as the RQMS. The eight point star distinguished him from the other soldier of same rank but in the inferior appointment of Orderly Room Clerk. At this time Quartermaster Sergeant was a rank. No other soldier ever wore this unique star.

When Regimental Quartermaster Sergeant became the offical title, the NCO was upgraded to Warrant Officer II and given the crown badge.

No big deal, but people read this forum and rely on it.

Me included.

Last one is interesting and rarely seen and I suspect from their attire it's an officers mess cook(centre) and officers mess waiters, with the lad on the right on fatigues, probably assisting in the kitchen. Their waiters jackets would b adorned with special regimental buttons, which were usually purchased by the officers themselves. I have a couple of officers mess waiters buttons for the Northumberlands, which are particularly ornate and silver plated.

Super photos, but I don't think those kitties would have made much of a main course.

Barbara...

Thanks Barbara.

A starter perhaps.Just joking.

It's a very interesting album,with a story for the solving.Will gradually unravel the story.

Mike.

Last one is interesting and rarely seen and I suspect from their attire it's an officers mess cook(centre) and officers mess waiters, with the lad on the right on fatigues, probably assisting in the kitchen. Their waiters jackets would b adorned with special regimental buttons, which were usually purchased by the officers themselves. I have a couple of officers mess waiters buttons for the Northumberlands, which are particularly ornate and silver plated.

Pre-war Mess staff were, with the exception of the Mess Sergeant or Steward, and the Cook, usually officers' servants doubling up. Nice photo.