Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Suicide

pw643

1 hour ago, GWF1967 said:

Edwin Stephen Campion Vaughan is recorded as dying in hospital in 1931 after a doctor, treating him for colitis, wrongly administered cocaine instead of novacaine 

I finally got to your post. I was going to say exactly what you have said, you beat me to it. Some Desperate Glory, a book I have read 3 or 4 times.

5 hours ago, AOK4 said:

@phil andrade Can you say what is your source? Just out of interest as I encounter quite a few (possible) suicides when going through German burial lists and Kriegsstammrollen. I think that number must be way too low.

Jan

Jan,

The figure is cited in Whalen's BITTER WOUNDS, page 42, and the source, as referenced  in the notes, is Urlanis, the soviet demographer.  I know that Urlanis used the santitatsbericht as his source.

The final chapter of Whalen's book is titled Melancholia, Suicide and Total Mobilization, and there is information about the rate of suicide amongst veterans in the late 1920s and early 30s.

Phil

4 hours ago, GWF1967 said:

Edwin Stephen Campion Vaughan is recorded as dying in hospital in 1931 after a doctor, treating him for colitis, wrongly administered cocaine instead of novacaine 

Please forgive me for that error.  For some reason, I was convinced that he had killed himself.  Where and when I read or heard that I cannot say, but this has come as a revelation to me.

Phil

1 hour ago, phil andrade said:

Jan,

The figure is cited in Whalen's BITTER WOUNDS, page 42, and the source, as referenced  in the notes, is Urlanis, the soviet demographer.  I know that Urlanis used the santitatsbericht as his source.

The final chapter of Whalen's book is titled Melancholia, Suicide and Total Mobilization, and there is information about the rate of suicide amongst veterans in the late 1920s and early 30s.

Phil

Thank you, I'll check in the Sanitätsbericht then.

Edited by AOK4

6 hours ago, stripeyman said:

I finally got to your post. I was going to say exactly what you have said, you beat me to it. Some Desperate Glory, a book I have read 3 or 4 times.

3 hours ago, phil andrade said:

Please forgive me for that error.  For some reason, I was convinced that he had killed himself.  Where and when I read or heard that I cannot say, but this has come as a revelation to me.

Phil

Forgiven.

Just before lockdown I was in an Age UK shop, and parted with £2.49 for a hardback copy of "Some Desperate Glory". I'm 50 odd pages in, and I'm sure it's a book I shall read more than once.