Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Imperial Camel Corps 1917-18

gnr.ktrha

Mate,

As I show the Company was involved in a number of actions during 1916, the main one being the raid by the British to resuce the crews of two ship sunk by U Boat and captured by the Senussi and taken into Libya (then under Italian Control)

see (17-3-16  2Co supported the Duke of Westminster Armoured Car unit to Bir Hakkim to rescue the crews of the ships Tara & Moorina from Senussi)

The fighting between the Western Desert Force (during 1916-17-18) involved raids by units into the strong holds of the Senussi.

(a bit like what happen in Afganistan over the last twenty years, when the Tali ran away to Pakistan to recover, the Senussi retreated into Egypt from the Italians who invaded Libya in 1913)

The British like the Pakis, did little to stop them, until they captured some Egyptian ports and ships crews forcing the British to raise a Comp Force to stop them, but it took some years before the British raided their (senussi) strong holds 

Most of the later stages was by British Armoured Cars then Camels which continue to patrol the desert to stop the Senussi and German arms shipments along the coast

I am sorry but the job of patroling the desert was not very interesting, but a job that had to be done.

They were replaced in March 1917 by a British Camel Company and joined the 1st Camel Bn in Sinai, for the two Gaza Battles

Mate, 

Thank you and yes it isn’t very interesting but I have started writing up on Thomas and thought I would make sure to add minor details as well.

Cheers,

Random

• 1 month later...

Hello, I'm currently researching my Great Grandfather: Sgt George Edgar Proudlove 2179, 300009 & 538950 C Sqn 1/1 Staffordshire Yeomanry.

It's been mentioned that he "may" have transferred into the Imperial Camel Corps during WW1.

Does a nominal roll of British men, who served in the Imperial Camel Corps exist?

I've not encountered this corps before. So, very new to finding records.