Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Beware in France

healdav

I like driving in my car

It's not quite a Jag-u-ar

Mine is.

Not so sure if I feel better now, what with the price of a litre of fuel.

If they'd driven on the correct side, they probably could log in to GWF already. Surely they do not require any hi vis jackets here. And yes, are these all Brit, Indians,Bangledeshi's,Pakistani's ,Japanese, Anzacs & probably Iceland drivers here?

No matey,

all American,that photo.& they do indeed drive on the wrong side of the road :D

I am fairly sure that that is a Berlin car park or perhaps Munich during the annual sausage scoffing contest.

Never scoff at a sausage when your on a diet,is my mantra.

Is it 1 jacket per car or per person in it ? The Bellfowermobile will be on tour at the end of October so I've got time to sort this out ...........

This reminds me of a true story. In 1994 when arriving in Paris an American gentleman was asked for his passport. He had lost it somewhere between Dallas and Paris and told the French custom's agent that the last time he had arrived in France no one asked him for one. The astounded French custom agent asked when this had happened, and the American grinned and said June 6, 1944. Even more unbelievably, the Frenchman shook his hand, thanked him and let him pass. The French are just as exasperated by their gov't as the rest of us! (Still, better to do as told than get busted) Cheers, Bill

Well you got that right. No wonder the Irish voted 'No' to their bloody Lisbon Treaty. Between our home-grown nanny-state and the EU our traditional UK concepts of freedom from unnecessary state intrusion are caught between a rock and a hard place. Sensible safety legislation is brought into disrepute with draconian laws such as the one you cite which states that "even if found not guilty you have to pay the pound fee."

ciao,

GAC

The BELGIAN law has nothing whatsoever to do with the EU. I was referring to the hivis jacket requirement.

Being all the way over here in Aussie land, I have no idea what this is all about.......is this a joke or for real?

Aussie no joke mate,health and safety has kicked in big style in Britain and France.

On a lighter note,looking for a good barrundi rum source!!

All contributions gratefully accepted.

Is it 1 jacket per car or per person in it ? The Bellfowermobile will be on tour at the end of October so I've got time to sort this out ...........

A big jacket would indeed cover many people.Sorry couldn't resist that.

I'm sure the driver wearing a high viz would be sufficient.

Cheers Bob.

I have been sharing the contents of the thread with "She who must be obeyed", and she has come up with a "sensible" suggestion.

Why doesn't the GWF not produce its own hi-viz jacket, with the GWF logo on front and back, with the profits going to GWF funds. (at this point, l;ooking over my shoulder, she is demanding a cut for having the idea!) This would have the effect of "spot a geek at 100 paces", but would also enable fellow Pals to identify each other, offer roadside assistance (although whether this might do any good is another matter), and raise the profile of the GWF among "fellow travellers" to the Western Front Etc.

What do we think? Who is responsible for gaining the three estimates of cost?

Who would buy one?

Guest KevinEndon
7. The head of any dead whale found on the British coast automatically becomes the property of the king, and the tail of the queen

The tail of a queen found on the British coast automatically becomes the property of the king, whatever next.

K

Every time my wife and I are incontinent we wear our fluorescent jackets. When we stop being incontinent at Dover, we take them off. Its a matter of common sense to wear a jacket when incontinent by the side of the road. When not incontinent, nobody needs a jacket.

do you take them of before urine duty free or after?

Do you not get a little flushed, wearing them?

Picture the scene - badly lit Italian motorway tunnel - me approaching the end where there is bright sunlight - brown trouser time, I've just avoided hitting the occupants of a broken down vehicle as they walk away from the car towards me, in the road, presumably to place their red triangle. Sensible people would have held the triangle so that it would show up in my headlights!

Guess what, I'm a great fan of the, now compulsory, reflective jackets! They're so cheap that we carry at least two so that we're both protected. Neither of us like to imagine being inside a car when it's shunted by what should be a passing vehicle!

As we're not that far from the Spanish border we carry all the time two red triangles which the Spanish require. As far as I know the Spanish require drivers who wear glasses to carry two spare sets.

We keep the jackets, spare glasses, car log-book and other papers together with our first-aid kit in a clear plastic sachel which is always ready to hand in the car.

I've seen plenty of cars with hi-res jackets draped over the backs of the front seats - not very aesthetic but stops the police needing to ask to see them. In the same way the official windscreen stickers for insurance and car test, we don't have car tax of course, make it instantly obvious that the car is "legal". To show that I had made a donation the police orphans fund sent me a windscreen sticker - this bore a clear statement that "displaying this badge does not mean that you will receive preferential treatment if you are stopped by the police"! uhuh!

David

• 2 weeks later...

:P If you have a local branch of Lidl's one of the special offers from Monday 21st July is a Flourescent Safety vest (conforms to En471 whatever that is) for the grand price of £1.99.

After all it will probably never be used (we hope), I will be getting one for my trip in September and it won't break the bank at that price!

Cliff

:P If you have a local branch of Lidl's one of the special offers from Monday 21st July is a Flourescent Safety vest (conforms to En471 whatever that is) for the grand price of £1.99.

B*gger – I will be going to Lidl's next week, but I paid Halfords £4.99 for one on Saturday ... :(

Yes was stopped in Albert not that long ago and that is what they asked for hi vis vest did better than that showed them my disaster jacket with a BIG badge on the back UNDERTAKER :lol: never seen cops so keen to get rid of me. I was aware of this a year or so back so i always take one with me.

Dan

The well known Swedish store also sell them in all sizes and various colours (kids like a choice!). £2.99 each I believe.

I have always carried them and spare bulbs, triangle, first aid kit, fire ext etc.

Common sense has always taught me that with the muppets we have on British Roads, all aids to make me more visable are welcome.

The sooner people realise that driving is a job and not an extension of sitting in the living room the safer we will be.

My car - No phones, radios, dvds. Maybe more of our kids would be able to read if they spent a couple of hours reading a book in a car instead of watching a dvd :lol:

sm

Question for our French Colleagues.

Whilst wearing jacket, when repairing car at roadside,is builder's bum obligatory? :rolleyes:

Can't see a problem with the idea myself but is not the basic problem, few people know how to lift bonnet catch to check,oil,water,etc plus check tyres at regular intervals and especially before long journeys?

George

Brother went to France Friday, lent sister in law hi vis jacket, apparently there are checks already.

On a lighter note,looking for a good barrundi rum source!!

All contributions gratefully accepted.

You must have been well under the influence when you dined on Barramundi (fish) here in god's country, Queensland, the Bundy (Bundaberg) Rum, usually consumed with Coke will do that to you!

cheers,

Chris

Check hi vis jackets? Do they come in some rather fetching patterns and colours?

Check hi vis jackets? Do they come in some rather fetching patterns and colours?

Squirrel,

I wouldn't go there with your Name.

Think of the types of squashed animals we see on our roads :o

George