Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Beware in France

healdav

Be very aware that fluorescent jackets have been obligatory in France since 1 July along with an emergency triangle.

The news last night was full of the Gendarmerie pulling in motorists by the hundred, demanding to see their jackets.

You should also be aware that these must be in the car, not in the boot i.e. you have to put it on before getting out of the car.

You can be assured that in future, if you are stopped for any offence, they will check this as well.

Being all the way over here in Aussie land, I have no idea what this is all about.......is this a joke or for real?

Very real - I'd heard this as well. I shall have to bring my office fire warden's coat with me!

Alan

It's for real

We even have to show the jacket is in the car when it goes through its equivalent of the annual MOT test: No jacket = Test failed

Only had to use it once so far but I think it's a good idea

Happy motoring in Europe, and hopefully the jacket will stay folded away

Michael

Unless mistaken, they're not actually going to be prosecuting anyone until October, after the holiday road accident peak period (there's logic for you)

I got my jacket and triangle with supermarket shopping points a while ago, but never had to use them yet.

Happy motoring

cheers Martin B

Motorists could be fined 90 euros per item for not having a warning triangle and fluorescent jacket in their car.

The jacket must be worn when waiting by a broken-down vehicle on the hard shoulder or other roadside.

Motorists must also by law use their hazard warning lights when they are stationary at the roadside.

Mick

Thought September was the start of the hunting season (la chasse) in France; or is it just open season on tourists in general? :D

If you are on prescription medication which may contain substance which are likely to be picked up on a drugs test, such as opiate based, then you also need to be careful to be able to prove they are a prescribed medication.

Driver anti-drug tests in force

July 02, 2008

Police and gendarmes will be cracking down on motorists who drive on drugs this summer.

Interior Minister Michèle Alliot-Marie said 50,000 testing kits had been sent out across the country following trials over the last year.

Using the tests the police can gather saliva using a swab stick – if the colour of the stick changes then drugs are detected.

Following a positive reaction, a blood test will be taken at a medical centre to determine what type of drugs were taken.

The system will replace urine tests, currently carried out by a doctor in a van at the roadside.

Ms Alliot-Marie said the new tests would be highly dissuasive.

Police and gendarmes would be targeting areas near bars and nightclubs.

She added that more measures would be discussed in the autumn, such as confiscating the cars of drivers caught at excessive speeds, driving under influence of drink or drugs or without a licence.

A further plan force a motorist convicted of drink driving to install a breathalyser directly into their vehicle which would prevent it from working if alcohol was detected.

I'm not sure it's such a bad idea. Here in Canada a number of people are killed every year when pulled off to the side of the major highways waiting for assistance, usually in broad daylight. And this is on the major highways, where there is enough paved shoulder that you aren't blocking any traffic lanes.

hmmm, I should relocate to Calais and get into the flourescent jacket selling business methinks :)

It's no great deal. Every other person you see nowadays wears them. Here in Scotland, police, cyclists, dustmen, paramedics, lollipop ladies, bus drivers, council workers of any kind, they all wear them. I wore one in my last job because I had to occasionally venture out into the car park. I reckon the guy who stands out now, is the one without a high vis vest.

Tom has echoed my thoughts on the seemingly endless number of people who wear hi-vis jackets. My favourite is the one on sale in a clerical outfitters with a choice of Minister or Priest on the back.

Friend of mine's husband was out shopping with her and wanted to buy a hi-vis T shirt as he didn't like the jackets/waistcoats he usually used because they are too warm to wear when doing heavy manual work.

After trying one on he decided not to buy it as he said it made him feel too conspicuous.

The guys from Top Gear will be buggered! Can you imagine Clarkson getting out of a Bugati and pulling on the Hi-Vis? And the Gendarmes would think James is on drugs for his laid back attitude, he is going to get tested at the hospital a lot!

But having said all of that, the reflective Hi-Vis and triangle is eminently sensible, I seem to recall fourty year ago that the triangles were required somewhere on the Continent, as I remember one in the boot of our 66 Cortina with the clip on yellow headlight covers for France.

cheers,

Chris H

Very real - I'd heard this as well. I shall have to bring my office fire warden's coat with me!

Alan

My thought exactly! I knew all that useless training served a purpose..I wonder if it matters that mine has 'UCL Fire Marshall' printed on the back.

a triangle is in every car in belgium, so is the vest and a first aid kit,

the vest has to be inside the car, and only the driver needs one, the passengers can get out the car with out wearing one, typical belgium.

sabine

Its a measure to improve traffic accident rates w/r to people hurt/killed when involved in accidents (securing the location and control the traffic around the place of accident) or when car is inoperative and stopped at dangerous , low visible sections of road. This is a great regulation, the vest cost only 1 Euro here.

Got mine last year & found a triangle at a car booty.

You're also obliges to have a spare set of light bulbs for the motor too.

Some people seem to leave there jackets hanging off the back2 front seats all the time.Makes sense.

Anyone know if you have to have one per person. or just for the driver?

Ta

Alan

Soon this will be another regulation in the Uk execpt here the cost of the ECo friendly vest and triangle will be £500 :P

This might apply at some time as well.

In Spain, apart from anything else and a spare set of light bulbs for the vehicle, if you wear prescription glasses and are driving you have to have a spare pair of glasses with you.

I agree that a case can be made for carrying a high vis jacket in the car in case of a breakdown or accident at a dangerous spot. But having to keep it in the car rather than the boot is a regulation too far.

I agree that a case can be made for carrying a high vis jacket in the car in case of a breakdown or accident at a dangerous spot. But having to keep it in the car rather than the boot is a regulation too far.

How unlucky would you have to be to get wiped out by a truck while you hop out of the car to get your hi vis jacket out of your boot :)

Now in Perth, Western Australia it is actually against the law to drive a taxi without a bale of hay in your car boot....strange but true.

Now in Perth, Western Australia it is actually against the law to drive a taxi without a bale of hay in your car boot....strange but true.

Is that to feed the driver or the passengers?