Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Beware in France

healdav

The girlfriend? Baa baara?

hehehe, none of the above :)

Its an archaic law that no one has bothered to change since the days when taxis were hansom cabs and you had to keep a bale of hay available for the poor old horse.....

hehehe, none of the above :)

Its an archaic law that no one has bothered to change since the days when taxis were hansom cabs and you had to keep a bale of hay available for the poor old horse.....

The same law is still in place on paper in London. England. But I think drivers are not required to have the bale in the boot.

I believe there is a footbridge in Manchester that anyone found guilty of committing damage to, upon sentencing can expect a one way trip to the Colonies :o

Connaught Ranger :lol:

I've had three car hires in France over the last two months. None had a hi vis jacket (though two had bales of hay in the boot).

...and only available from Ripemoff (2008) plc - licensed to sell by HMG...

Plus a "Jacket Tax" of £250

I have just had a look at the jackets in my car, neither has a kite mark or standard, and the one i use when riding my bike has Rentokill across the the back(I found it in a layby a few years ago) are these legal?

Mick

I see absolutely no point in having a his vis jacket in the car unless you have a clipboard and hard hat to go with it.

I see absolutely no point in having a his vis jacket in the car unless you have a clipboard and hard hat to go with it.

Or even a his 'n' hers hi vis.

And I thought the cost of living was high in Canada!

Let's see if I have this straight, you need to pay to drive into downtown London, high prices for beer when you get there, now if you go to France you need to buy special jackets and triangles, and pay higher prices for gas and diesel. Now I find out that if I go to Australia I have to visit a farmer and buy some hay.

But if I chip the concrete on that bridge in Manchester, I'll get sent home before I even get to France. Travel plans for my next battlefield tour are sure going to be complicated.

I have just had a look at the jackets in my car, neither has a kite mark or standard, and the one i use when riding my bike has Rentokill across the the back(I found it in a layby a few years ago) are these legal?

Mick

I'm sure the Germans have it chapter and verse. I'll look it up.

Rentokill on a hi vis jacket? - somebody can't spell!

Or even a his 'n' hers hi vis.

Hervis....with reeeeeeal butter.....

I knew it - DIN EN 471 it has to be.

Now to find out what the heck that means!

Hey this gets better. DIN EN 471

* Colours within specified colour range

* Minimum luminous density factor

o Fastness to light

o Colour fastness: abrasion resistance, fastness to perspiration, washing cycles, dry cleaning, hypochlorides, and ironing

* Dimensional change ISO 5077

* Maximum tensile strengh / bursting strength

Sure we all have one of these!! There are 3 classes of vest (not sure where a Rentokill one falls). Lets make everythig crystal clear shall we! :lol:

Each class has different luminous factors. Bet Norway has class 3 cos its dark for so long.

Must be the heat today over here - I'm starting to research luminous vests. Aaaarrrg.

Rentokil. Originally the name was attempted to be registered as "Entokil" for the fluid produced to kill woodworm larvae.

This could not be registered as it was too near another product name so it was amended to "Rentokil".

It was the product not a service that was regitsered. That evolved afterwards.

Nothing to do with renting something or somebody to kill pests.

Nearly as sad as researching hi vis jacket material.

Used to be the time when it was only emergency services & officials that wore his-vis jackets these days everyman (and possibly his dog as well) is wearing them; A big problem with this is a gang of men wearing them turning up in a lorry might be genuine officials, or contractors, but could equally well be villains after nicking lead off a roof, pinching long runs of telephone cable (it happened locally to here; hundreds of users disconnected for days), street signs, cast iron man hole covers, building materials, JCBs and other plant, or, has been reported on another thread, brass memorial plaques off war memorials; The trouble is because they looks as if they're official there's far less likelihood of them being questioned or reported even when its happening in broad daylight.

The gendarmes are having a jolly time in Northern France. An acquaintance got nicked going south in a Ferrari 599 at very high speed and got a French driving ban for his sins. His wife took over the driving and got done for speeding in the south of France.

Our hero flouted the ban coming back north and got done again on the same motorway by the same plod man! Result was a night in the cells and a 5000 euro fine. The car (not his !) was also impounded for 2 weeks. What a twonk!

By the way, I have the hi-vis jacket and always have it in the car on the back parcel shelf abroad to keep the plod away.

Quite agree that with one on, you can go anywhere, move anything and generally nose about to one's hearts content.

Memo to Mr Smithson: Get Out More. Please.

It used to be a brown warehouse coat for nicking. Walk in to a shop. pick something up with your mate. To you, to me, out the door. Offski.

I have carried a triangle and vest on hols to France for several years. I understood the former was mandatory some years ago, in any case it seemed sensible to have them in case of puncture, etc.

Can one of the pals resident in France advise how many vests are required now? One for the driver?

Update:

I found this on the AA Website. Looks like this applies to the natives only. No mention of face painting.

Stop Press *

The introduction of the regulation concerning the compulsory carriage of a reflective jacket will now come in to force on the 1st October 2008 (initially this was due to be introduced on the 1st July 2008). It will be compulsory for all French registered vehicles to have a reflective safety jacket on board which must me kept inside the vehicle and it will also be compulsory to carry a warning triangle. The authorities are yet to confirm whether these requirements will apply to foreign registered vehicles. This advice will be updated as soon as confirmation is received.

So we have to wear yellow jackets in France - fine - however I feel that all French visitors to the UK should have their faces painted in hi visibility woad as the come off the ferry, through the tunnel etc. We started letting standard slip when we didn't insist on this for all those Italian visitors who came across with some fellow called Julius.

Yes indeed,our Jim.

The boy did good but butter is sed like 'butta' or 'bu'a' or budda before i fall asleep through sheer exhaustpipes.

7/10 in Geordie Mr.B.

that bloke that always rubbed a chocolate bar in his armpits of a morning.

He went to the docs cos his mrs complained that he had an air of 'coconut' always about him

Doc said ,'its bounty,innit'.

'jamas on,already out the door.

Love n peace to all

Can one of the pals resident in France advise how many vests are required now? One for the driver?

Jas,

if you can wait til tomorrow night,I'll ask Chantal & let you know.

Dave.

Come on guys - its no big deal - they are in my local Poundland for how much? Last time I was in France they were in the "bargain boxes" in Auchan for 1 euro. If you are unfortunate enough to break down it's worth a quid to make yourself more visible just in case and they take up no space in the door pocket. One thing that drives me mad in winter months is the number of joggers who run on our local rural roads in their trendy black Spandex trousers(?) and vests - brilliant - can't see them until the last second.

Doesn't matter if every other Tom, Dick and Harry is wearing them - make yourself visible and don't get hit! (or at least make yourself less likely to get hit)

By the way, according to AA website it doesn't apply until October - and even then they haven't decided whether it will apply to foreign registered cars.

"Stop Press *

The introduction of the regulation concerning the compulsory carriage of a reflective jacket will now come in to force on the 1st October 2008 (initially this was due to be introduced on the 1st July 2008). It will be compulsory for all French registered vehicles to have a reflective safety jacket on board which must me kept inside the vehicle and it will also be compulsory to carry a warning triangle. The authorities are yet to confirm whether these requirements will apply to foreign registered vehicles. This advice will be updated as soon as confirmation is received.

June 2008

© Automobile"