Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Rugby Football Internationals Roll of Honour

rflory

Kate:

And the photo of 2nd Lieut. Horace Wyndham Thomas, Rifle Brigade. Regards. Dick

post-1-1077402648.jpg

I'm interested in images of some of the other men in the book, but I hestitate to keep bothering you. Please let me know if you have the time to scan some more.

Dolphin: Here are some more photos from the book. If there are particular ones you are interested in, feel free to ask. Regards. Dick Flory

Lieut. Cecil Halliday Abercrombie, RN

post-1-1077402974.jpg

Captain David McLaren Bair, 3rd Batt (att. 2nd Batt.), Gordon Highlanders

post-1-1077403072.jpg

2nd Lieut. Patrick Charles Bentley Blair, Rifle Brigade

post-1-1077403747.jpg

Dick

Once again, thanks for the photos. As you have correctly surmised, I would be interested to see them all, but only at your convenience.

I don't have a great deal on S S L Steyn, as his International career was pretty short, but there might be something in the following that will be of interest:

Steyn, Stephen Sebastian Lombard (‘Beak’)

Two caps for Scotland: 1911 v England (lost 8-13); 1912 v Ireland (lost 8-10).

Stephen Steyn was born on 10 November 1889, son of Dr Steyn and Margaret Fraser Steyn of Moorreesburg, Cape Province, South Africa.

Played as a Wing for: Diocesan College Rondebosch South Africa, Oxford University (Blue 1911-1912), Guy’s Hospital, Barbarians

Profession: Medicine

Remarks: Rhodes Scholar. He was a Blue along with W M Dickson, another South African born Scottish international, who was killed in action on 26 September 1915, at Loos. Played for Barbarians: v Penarth (8-18) v Swansea (13-6) in 1911.

War service: Lieutenant, “B” Battery, 117th Brigade, Royal Field Artillery.

He was killed in action on 8 December 1917, in Palestine, and is buried in Jerusalem War Cemetery, Israel [Grave B. 12.].

Steyn's partner on the other wing for Scotland v Ireland in 1912 was J G Will, who also appears in your book after being killed flying Nieuport 17 A6751 of No 29 Sqn RFC on 25 March 1917.

Again, thanks.

Dolphin,

Your note that Stephen Steyn played for Guys Hospital sent me to the shelves for Guys Hospital Reports Vol. LXX (Published 1922).

This super volume is subtitled "War Memorial Edition"

It tells us:

Steyn, S S L, Lieut 115th Brigade RFA. Educated at the Diocesan College, Rondebosch, Cape Town. Went ot Oxford with Rhodes Scholarship in 1910. Gained his Blue at Oxford for Rugby Football and international cap for Scotland. Entered Guy's 1913. Joined King Edward's Horse at outbreak of war as a private. Granted a commission in R. F. A., November 1914. Killed in action December 12th 1917.

There is no photo.

Amongst his Guys Hospital teamamtes would have been E F Llarena who played for Guys 1st XV from 1912-1913 season but was chifly thier star Water Polo player.

Does anyone else want anything checked in this fascinating volume? They didn't all serve as RAMC, though most did.

Martin

Dolphin: Thanx for the information on Steyn. I will continue to put a number of the photos from the book on each day or so until we are done. Regards. Dick Flory

Martin: Thanx for the information on Steyn. I have been trying to locate a copy of the Guys Hospital War Memorial edition but have not yet been able to locate a copy. Regards. Dick Flory

Dick,

Many thanks for the photos of the two singing rugby stars. Yes, I would like the text if that is possible. Have you considered self-publishing a reprint? Your book might pay for its keep if you did!

In return, please let us know of any lookups you would like from the Guy's Hospital volume (and that applies to the rest of the Pals too).

Best wishes

Kate

Kate: If it is not asking too much I would like a list of the Royal Artillery officers in the Guy's Hospital book. I don't know if I can swing a reprint of the Rugby book but I was thinking about producing a CD with all the photos. Regards. Dick Flory

Dick - you're working overtime - its great that all this research is being put at the disposal of those who appreciate it. My interest is Wales and Welshmen in the First World War. I'm from South Wales and approaching my twilight years as a player myself. A dealer friend who looks out for me (and just missed this book) is currently searching for this publication. I collect absolutely anything connected with Wales and Welshmen ww1 - principally uniforms and ephemera. If there is any research you may want doing on the Welshmen in the book, I might be able to help.

Best Wishes

Jonathan

Corporal David (Dai) Watts

13793 7th Bn. The King's (Shropshire Light Infantry)

k.i.a. 14th July 1916

Thiepval Memorial

"On January 17th, 1914 the 'Old Parish' saluted its first International in the person of Dai Watts. He became famous as a member of the 'Terrible Eight' captained by the Rev. Alban Davies and played in all four international matches. He was killed in action during the First Worl War."

This quotation is taken from 'The Old Parish Centenariens. Maesteg Rugby Football Club 1882-1982'.

What could have been!

Dick

If you have the time I would appreciate some details and a photograph of James Henry Digby Watson, please ? In addition to being an international rugby player he was a surgeon on HMS Hawke that was sunk on 15th October 1914.

By the way I'm still trying to solve the mystery of Gunner W.M.M.V.C. Richardson. I'll let you know if I discover anything.

Regards

Myrtle

If you have the time I would appreciate some details and a photograph of James Henry Digby Watson, please ? In addition to being an international rugby player he was a surgeon on HMS Hawke that was sunk on 15th October 1914.

Temp. Surgeon James Henry Digby Watson, RN

Born at Southsea on 31 August 1890; the son of Engineer-Captain James Herbert Watson, RN

Educated at King's College, Canterbury from 1899-1906; at Edinburgh Academy from 1906-1908, and at Edinburgh University where he was a student of medicine from 1908-1913; MB, ChB in 1913

Captain of the Edinburgh Academicals as a center three-quarter in 1912-13

in the 1st XV at both Edinburgh Academy and King's College, Caterbury

Played for Blackheath and for London Hospital as center or wing three-quarter

Was reserve three-quarter for Scotland in 1912-13

Represented Scotland against Ireland at Athletics winning the Long Jump

Won the High Jump at Edinburgh Academy every year he was there and won the Edinburgh University Middleweight Boxing Competition.

Drowned whn the HMS Hawke was torpedoed by a German submarine on 15 Oct 14

Sources: Rugby Football Internationals Roll of Honour; University of Edinburgh Roll of Honour; War Supplement to Edinburgh Academy Register; King's School Canterbury Register, 1859-1931; The Edinburgh Academy Register, 1914.

Attached below is his photo. Regards. Dick Flory

post-1-1078129141.jpg

My interest is Wales and Welshmen in the First World War.

Jonathan: 2nd Lt. William Purdon Geen, 9th Bn, KRRC. Three International caps for Wales: South Africa 1912; England 1913; Ireland 1913. Regards. Dick Flory

post-1-1078129379.jpg

Major Brinley Richard Lewis, RFA. Welsh caps against Ireland in 1912 and 1913. Regards. Dick

post-1-1078129514.jpg

Sergeant Louis Augustus Phillips, Royal Fusiliers. Regards. Dick

post-1-1078129623.jpg

Captain Charles Meyrick Pritchard, 12 Bn, South Wales Borderers. Dick

post-1-1078129733.jpg

Engineer-Captain Charles Gerald Taylor, RN. Nine International appearances for Wales. Dick

post-1-1078129850.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure if it is of use but James Pearson's death is noted in the book '9th Royal Scots (T.F.) B Company on active service, February-May 1915'. It states...

' Late in the afternoon word came down from the trenches and passed like wildfire that Pearson, the Rugby International and the most notable of men still remaining in the ranks of the Ninth, had been killed.'

At least it may be interesting for someone.

All the best,

Tim