Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Moustaches of the Great War

Sepoy

Following on from Phil B's thread concerning "beards and Isandlawana" in Skindles, I thought it might be fun to start a thread of photos showing Great War Soldiers sporting facial hair and the various styles. May be Male Forum Members can join in and grow one for the centenary - the Ladies can join in if they please :w00t:

Here are a few to get things going.

The Slug and the Caterpillar

post-55476-0-65747800-1379356416_thumb.j

post-55476-0-14563100-1379356517_thumb.j

My Grandad who was in India/Palestine with the 2/4th Dorsets told me that the Battalion was ordered to grow moustaches "to show Johnny Turk that they were all men not boys"

It is amazing how a different mustache can change a man's appearance from friendly to scary!

H

I find it very difficult to identify individuals in photographs when they are all sporting them - as seemed to be the fashion, particularly with the officers.

How does he keep his hat on? Hat pin???!!

H

Hello LF & Hazel,

I am thinking that his sidecap is dresswear as a 'walking out' cap, I would think that for any campaign riding he would wear the tropical helmet or maybe a pill-box hat with chin strap.

khaki

Hello LF & Hazel,

I am thinking that his sidecap is dresswear as a 'walking out' cap, I would think that for any campaign riding he would wear the tropical helmet or maybe a pill-box hat with chin strap.

khaki

A gentle breeze, never mind a good gust of wind, would have that flying along the street!

H.

It is amazing how a different mustache can change a man's appearance from friendly to scary!

H

Or to comical?!

Definitely looking forward to more :)

Judy

I suspect my moustache would appear under the "cheerful" heading.

I don't think I would like to get on the 'wrong side' of the staff officer in post #6

khaki

Looks a bit like a young "Monty"