The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Canadian Highland Battalions: Badges, Insignia, Dress

gordon92

1 hour ago, battle of loos said:

good morning,

this is one sweet brooch find in Loos battlefield :

ROYAL HIGHLANDERS OF CANADA

73rd OVERSEAS BATTALION BLACK WATCH                                                     T L M STERLING

73th overseas battalion_0001.jpg73th overseas battalion_0002.jpg

regards

michel

Michel, here is my example of this badge, TLM refers to the Birmingham silversmith Thomas Mott.

Scan_20170213203_zpsiqh6mbgr.jpg

2 hours ago, gordon92 said:

Frogsmile.....The best description that I have read that explains the rationale (or lack of) for the structure of the CEF is to be found beginning on page 5 of this document under the heading "Sir Sam's Pets".  Essentially, Sam Hughes, the Minister of Militia, scrapped an existing war mobilization plan in favor of a mass call for militiamen to assemble at Camp Valcartier, Quebec; with some confusion they were amassed into battalions based partly on regional affiliations and brigades before departing for England in October.  I hope this may be of interest.

Thank you for posting that gordon92, it is indeed interesting to see the story behind it explained so well.

17 hours ago, battle of loos said:

good morning,

this is one sweet brooch find in Loos battlefield :

ROYAL HIGHLANDERS OF CANADA

73rd OVERSEAS BATTALION BLACK WATCH                                                     T L M STERLING

17 hours ago, battle of loos said:

I have one question about this unit.

in what battalion served men of the 63rd?

Excellent finds Michel, and thank you for sharing.

The first badge for the 73rd Battalion was an officer's version.  There may be some mystery as to how this badge was found on the Loos battlefield.  The 73rd Battalion did not arrive in France until 13th August 1916.  Was there a later engagement in the same area?

The 63rd Battalion included men from Medicine Hat, Calgary and Edmonton, Alberta.  It became a reserve battalion after arriving in England providing reinforcements to battalions serving in the field.      

Edited by gordon92

In addition to the 8 Highland battalions that served in the Canadian Corps, 17 additional battalions titled "Highlanders" were raised in Canada and sent to the UK.  All of these were transformed or absorbed into reserve battalions. These provided drafts to reinforce the battalions in France/Flanders with the Canadian Corps.  A brief note on the dress of each of these 17 Highland battalions is indicated in the next three posts.

17th cap.jpg  17th Battalion CEF (Nova Scotia Highlanders)  Dressed similarly to Imperial Seaforth Highlanders.

92nd cap.JPG  92nd Battalion CEF (48th Highlanders)  Dressed similarly to 15th Battalion.

96th cap.jpg  96th Battalion CEF (Canadian Highlanders)  Wore Highland cut 5-button SD jackets, Tam O'Shanters with feathers, and trousers; Pipe Band in full Highland dress with Royal Stuart tartan kilts; pipe bags of Government tartan.

105th cap.jpg   105th Battalion CEF (Prince Edward Island Highlanders)  Photos indicate standard line infantry dress.

113th cap.jpg   113th Battalion CEF (Lethbridge Highlanders)  Dressed as standard line infantry; officers in glengarries; Pipe Band Government tartan kilts with knife pleats.

134th cap.jpg   134th Battalion CEF (48th Highlanders)  Trousers; Pipe Band Davidson tartan kilts.

Edited by gordon92

173rd cap.jpg   173rd Battalion (Canadian Highlanders)  SD jackets with cutaway; red-white diced glengarries; Govt tartan kilts with box pleats.

174th cap.JPG   174th Battalion CEF (Cameron Highlanders of Canada)  Dressed similarly to 43rd Battalion.

179th cap.jpg   179th Battalion CEF (Cameron Highlanders of Canada)  Dressed similarly to 43rd Battalion.

185th cap.jpg   185th Battalion CEF (Cape Breton Highlanders)  Dressed similarly to 85th Battalion, but rank and file never issued kilts; Pipe Band Govt tartan kilts with box pleats.

193rd cap.JPG   193rd Battalion CEF (Nova Scotia Highlanders)  Khaki kilts; Pipe Band Govt tartan kilts with box pleats.

194th cap.jpg   194th Battalion CEF (Edmonton Highlanders)  Khaki glengarries; trousers; Pipe Band khaki kilts later Govt tartan with knife pleats.

Edited by gordon92

219 cap.jpg   219th Battalion CEF (Nova Scotia Highlanders)  Khaki kilts; Pipe Band Govt tartan kilts with box pleats.

231 cap.JPG   231st Battalion CEF (Seaforth Highlanders of Canada) Dressed similarly to 72nd Battalion.

236th cap.jpg   236th Battalion CEF (New Brunswick Kilties)  red-white-blue diced glengarry; Balmoral with feather; cutaway 5-button SD jacket; MacLean of Duart tartan kilts; redesignated Maclean Highlanders 15 Oct 1917.

246 cap.jpg   246th Battalion CEF (Nova Scotia Highlanders)  MacKenzie tartan kilts.

253rd cap.jpg   253rd Battalion CEF (Queen's University Highland Battalion)  red-white-blue diced glengarries; Govt tartan kilts with box pleats..

Edited by gordon92

23 hours ago, ronmarsden said:

Michel, here is my example of this badge, TLM refers to the Birmingham silversmith Thomas Mott.

Scan_20170213203_zpsiqh6mbgr.jpg

Good evening

Thank you for the presentation of your badge.
It's beautiful.

Kind regards

michel

7 hours ago, gordon92 said:

Excellent finds Michel, and thank you for sharing.

The first badge for the 73rd Battalion was an officer's version.  There may be some mystery as to how this badge was found on the Loos battlefield.  The 73rd Battalion did not arrive in France until 13th August 1916.  Was there a later engagement in the same area?

Good evening

After the battle of VIMY, the survivors of the 73rd battalion were for the most part attached to the 13th R.H.C.

the Canadian attacked lens and score 70 (loos) on August 15, 1917.

I'll give you a picture of the momument which was erected in honor of the 13th R.H.C.
In addition, this year, on August 15, 2017, a new monument with a garden of the memory, will be inaugurated in honour of all Canadian fallen on August 15, 1917.

Kind regards

michel

8 hours ago, gordon92 said:

The 63rd Battalion included men from Medicine Hat, Calgary and Edmonton, Alberta.  It became a reserve battalion after arriving in England providing reinforcements to battalions serving in the field.      

Good evening

Thanks for this explanation.
is it possible that this battalion was able to strengthen the 15th battalion.
as I got close my button of the 48th highlanders?

Kind regards

michel

14 hours ago, battle of loos said:
Good evening

Thanks for this explanation.
is it possible that this battalion was able to strengthen the 15th battalion.
as I got close my button of the 48th highlanders?

Kind regards

michel

Michel

You may be interested in looking at this link that furnishes a matrix of the arrivals from Canada of various contingents of the CEF including the 63rd Battalion.  It is possible that the 63rd furnished reinforcements to the 15th; however, it seems illogical to me that men from a standard infantry battalion recruited from Alberta would reinforce a Highland battalion from Toronto.  The War Diary of the 15th Battalion is online and might have some information on this point by clicking here and entering 15th Battalion for the Unit Name.  Good luck!

Mike

good morning,

Thanks again for your help.
very interesting topic to compare objects in the field with the history of the units.

regards

michel

@Gordon92.......what a great job you've done putting that all together!  Thank you.  

19 hours ago, Ron Abbott said:

@Gordon92.......what a great job you've done putting that all together!  Thank you.  

You are welcome.  Hope it has been helpful.

good evening,

This is one tartan (with some paper) about the 43rd Cameron Highlander to this canadian soldier :

COOPER John Law - 153372 - Pte - 43rd Canadian Cameron highlanders B Coy

IMG_20160901_0003.jpg

regards

michel

1 hour ago, battle of loos said:

This is one tartan (with some paper) about the 43rd Cameron Highlander to this canadian soldier :

COOPER John Law - 153372 - Pte - 43rd Canadian Cameron highlanders B Coy

Michel.....Pte Law's service file is available online for free download if you do not already have it: http://www.bac-lac.gc.ca/eng/discover/military-heritage/first-world-war/personnel-records/Pages/item.aspx?IdNumber=115789

Mike

good morning,

Thanks for the link.
I already have this document.
Miss me him more than the photo of this soldier.

regards

michel

For the possible interest of those still following this thread, I have expanded the informational post on each of the 8 Canadian Corps battalions with example images that display some of the uniform features.  In most cases image examples of ORs, officers, and pipe band are included:

• Post #2 - 13th Battalion (Royal Highlanders of Canada)
  • Post #5 - 15th Battalion (48th Highlanders of Canada)
  • Post #15 - 16th Battalion (Canadian Scottish)
  • Post #20 - 42nd Battalion (Royal Highlanders of Canada)
  • Post #23 - 43rd Battalion (Cameron Highlanders of Canada)
  • Post #29 - 72nd Battalion (Seaforth Highlanders of Canada)
  • Post #37 - 73rd Battalion (Royal Highlanders of Canada)
  • Post #40 - 85th Battalion (Nova Scotia Highlanders)
Edited by gordon92

Posts 2, 5, 15, 20, 23, 29, 37, and 40 for each of the 8 Canadian Corps battalions have been updated with a section on Shoulder Titles.  Pending further comments from other members, this now represents my full contribution to this compendium on Canadian Highland battalions.

On ‎2‎/‎7‎/‎2017 at 17:42, gordon92 said:

Early                                                                                 Later

15th%20CEF%20collar_zpstw1pu7jl.jpg             15th-Collar-Badge-2_zpsnubwttis.jpg

Shoulder formation sign (1st Division, 3rd Brigade, 15th Battalion):

15th%20CEF%20formation_zpsq24pobyf.jpg

I'm really enjoying this thread. It's a great idea to try and put this together. As a Canadian uniform collector I have a few minor observations:

I believe the C over number (C15, C16 etc...) collar brass were early and the collars that looked like the cap badge were later. In general for all Canadian battalions, the numbered collars replaced the generic maple leaf collars as the badges became available, although some units continued to use the C over number collars throughout the war. Some units, like the Canadian Scottish, appear to have had other ranks continue to wear these collars while officers seem to have adopted the cap type collars ( See posted photo of Metcalf and Peck). As time proceeded, the more elaborate collars began to make an appearance on uniforms. The Canadian Scottish at Second Ypres also wore a hand cut and filed shoulder title. It appears to have been made from shell casings. It was a large central 16 with Canadian Scottish in a semi circle below (Perhaps another member has a handy photo). The battle patch pictured is on a Vimy Pilgrimage armband. The actual patch was made from different material and did not have a screened 15 on it.  Also, there are some early 48th uniforms that I have seen in collections which have the militia type collars on them which are the falcon heads only. 

All the best Ypres1915

On ‎2‎/‎7‎/‎2017 at 17:42, gordon92 said:

Now who's got the knowledge or the will to volunteer to provide the background of the 'other Scottish' battalions of the CEF, e.g. the 29th (HLI of Canada) CEF?

One thing is for sure.  The confusion I've had with 'Scottish units' of the CEF makes me realise how so many other people face similar confusion when it comes to the 'Scottish' regiments of the British Army!

15 hours ago, Ypres1915 said:

I believe the C over number (C15, C16 etc...) collar brass were early and the collars that looked like the cap badge were later. In general for all Canadian battalions, the numbered collars replaced the generic maple leaf collars as the badges became available, although some units continued to use the C over number collars throughout the war. Some units, like the Canadian Scottish, appear to have had other ranks continue to wear these collars while officers seem to have adopted the cap type collars ( See posted photo of Metcalf and Peck). As time proceeded, the more elaborate collars began to make an appearance on uniforms. The Canadian Scottish at Second Ypres also wore a hand cut and filed shoulder title. It appears to have been made from shell casings. It was a large central 16 with Canadian Scottish in a semi circle below (Perhaps another member has a handy photo). The battle patch pictured is on a Vimy Pilgrimage armband. The actual patch was made from different material and did not have a screened 15 on it.  Also, there are some early 48th uniforms that I have seen in collections which have the militia type collars on them which are the falcon heads only. 

Many thanks for this chronology. Ypres1915.  Do you have any leads on a photo of the 16 over Canadian Scottish shoulder title?  I would be very interested in seeing that if possible.

15 hours ago, Ron Abbott said:

Now who's got the knowledge or the will to volunteer to provide the background of the 'other Scottish' battalions of the CEF, e.g. the 29th (HLI of Canada) CEF?

One thing is for sure.  The confusion I've had with 'Scottish units' of the CEF makes me realise how so many other people face similar confusion when it comes to the 'Scottish' regiments of the British Army!

Perhaps, I will do something on the "other Scottish Battalions" of the CEF in the future, Ron, but not right now.

18 hours ago, Ron Abbott said:

Ron,

I believe the 29th was not a highland unit. It's from Vancouver and the HLI is from Cambridge Ontario. The 29th Canadian Militia (pre WWI ) was eventually absorbed into the HLI but was not a Scottish unit either. The HLI perpetuates the 34 Battalion and the 111th Battalion CEF. The 111th has Scottish heritage but I don't believe they wore Scottish dress.

Ypres1915

1 hour ago, Ypres1915 said:

I may have an example somewhere .... I'll see if I can dig it out.

Ypres1915

Would be appreciative if you could.