Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

East Lancashire Regiment

CROONAERT

Any look-ups required from the E.Lancs. Regimental history 1914-18, just let me know.

Dave.

• 11 months later...

Hi Dave, is there anyway I can find out when my Grt Grandfather joined up, and where he trained? Dixon Entwistle~235465, 1/5 Lancashire Fusiliers, KIA 17 September 1917, at Borry Farm, Ypres. I appreciate any info you can pass on! Cheers :D Shelley, BC, Canada

Hello Dave,

I've been doing some research on Lieutenant Arthur Allan Orme Davenport M.C. (2nd Battn, attached 1/4th). He died of wounds on 24/03/1918. I'd be very grateful if you could tell me whether he is mentioned.

Thanks

Gavin Heaton

Hi Dave, is there anyway I can find out when my Grt Grandfather joined up, and where he trained? Dixon Entwistle~235465, 1/5 Lancashire Fusiliers, KIA 17 September 1917, at Borry Farm, Ypres. I appreciate any info you can pass on! Cheers :D Shelley, BC, Canada

Sorry Shelley, I don't have anything on the Lancashire Fusiliers :( .

If someone has the Lancs.Fus. history, they may be able to help. The Regimental Museum at Bury may also have some info.

Dave.

Hello Dave,

I've been doing some research on Lieutenant Arthur Allan Orme Davenport M.C. (2nd Battn, attached 1/4th). He died of wounds on 24/03/1918. I'd be very grateful if you could tell me whether he is mentioned.

Thanks

Gavin Heaton

Gavin.

He's not mentioned by name in the history, but I could probably let you know what his battalion were up to around the time he died.

Dave.

Hi Dave.

Could you please look for me what the 1st/5th East Lancs were doing on the 18th to 20th June 1918 and again 23rd to 25th August 1918.

I'm particulary interested in any mention of Pte H Longworth who won the MM and Bar around this time.

Many thanks.

Stu.

:( OOOPS Dave, sorry I just saw East Lancashires in your post, I will pay more attention from now on!!! lol Cheers Shelley

Hi Dave.

Could you please look for me what the 1st/5th East Lancs were doing on the 18th to 20th June 1918 and again 23rd to 25th August 1918.

I'm particulary interested in any mention of Pte H Longworth who won the MM and Bar around this time.

Many thanks.

Stu.

Stu.

No mention of Longworth in any of the indexes. Here's the clips nonetheless....

1. June 1918...

post-16-1083245157.jpg

August 1918 (3 posts)...

post-16-1083245243.jpg

Aug.'18 (2)

post-16-1083245325.jpg

Aug.'18 (3)...

post-16-1083245393.jpg

;) Unlikely I know; but I would appreciate a "Look Up" just in case of any Mention of 7206 Sergeant William J Blythe,who Re~Enlisted/Was Recalled from the Reserves,into the East Lancashire Regiment,having previously served in Afghanistan in 1880,with 30th Foot,He was Born in April 1858,Going to France in June 1915{unfortunately I have no Battalion Number for him!},Transferring to the RAF in October 1918;Thanking You in anticipation,Regards Roger.

Sorry Roger, no mention of him in the index. If it's any help, there were only two Battalions of the ELR in France in June 1915 (the 1st and the 2nd), so he probably belonged to one of those.

Dave.

Sorry Roger, no mention of him in the index. If it's any help, there were only two Battalions of the ELR in France in June 1915 (the 1st and the 2nd), so he probably belonged to one of those.

Dave.

Cheers Dave,Hes taken me thirty odd years to get this far a few more wont hurt!!thanks for your efforts on my behalf

Guest Talana Farm

Hi Dave,

I would appreciate three lookups if you are up for it!

I would like to find out what the 1st Batt. East Lancs were doing 6 July 1915, and if there is any mention of James McCarthy Pte 6184 - . "D" Coy. 1st Batt. E. Lancs Reg.

Anything to do with the 7th Batt. East Lancs on 21st July 1916, or any mention of a John Lavin - Pte. 16985 - 7th Batt. East Lancs. Regiment KIA. July 21, 1916, Somme

Lastly, anything to do with the 6th Battalion, East Lancashire Regiment from the 1st – 9th August 1915. and /or a Thomas MCCARTHY - Pte 16967, who was killed. August 9, 1915, Dardanelles, Turkey

Thanks in advance.

Kris

Hi Dave,

Many thanks for your help.

Pte Longworth was awarded the MM for the action on the 18/19th June,he was acting as stretcher bearer and with his medals I have the original citation card that states he went out into "no mans land" to recover the wounded under heavy rifle and machine gun fire.

Unfortunately,I don't know what he was awarded the bar to his MM for,but I suspect it was the action in August.

Thanks for scanning them for me.

Stu.

Anything to do with the 7th Batt. East Lancs on 21st July 1916, or any mention of a John Lavin - Pte. 16985 - 7th Batt. East Lancs. Regiment  KIA. July 21, 1916, Somme

Kris.

Your lookups are below.

Could I ask what your interest is in John Lavin? He happens to be a member of my "extended" family (to be exact, he's my wife's grandad's (also named John Lavin - served in the 7/Border Regiment 1917-18) cousin). I believe that my father-in-law has a bit of info. on him.

Small world!

Dave.

Pte Longworth was awarded the MM for the action on the 18/19th June,he was acting as stretcher bearer and with his medals I have the original citation card that states he went out into "no mans land" to recover the wounded under heavy rifle and machine gun fire.

Unfortunately,I don't know what he was awarded the bar to his MM for,but I suspect it was the action in August.

Stu.

Was Pte.Longworth from Burnley? (the name seems familiar)

If so, I may be able to get you something. <_<

Dave.

I would like to find out what the 1st Batt. East Lancs were doing 6 July 1915, and if there is any mention of James McCarthy Pte 6184 - . "D" Coy. 1st Batt. E. Lancs Reg.

Here's the history's account....

post-16-1083377635.jpg

...and...

post-16-1083377686.jpg

Anything to do with the 7th Batt. East Lancs on 21st July 1916, or any mention of a John Lavin - Pte. 16985 - 7th Batt. East Lancs. Regiment KIA. July 21, 1916, Somme

Lastly, anything to do with the 6th Battalion, East Lancashire Regiment from the 1st – 9th August 1915. and /or a Thomas MCCARTHY - Pte 16967, who was killed. August 9, 1915, Dardanelles, Turkey

There's nothing mentioned as such for the 7/ELR on 21st July 1916 apart from them receiving orders fro an attack the next day. They were, however, entrenched on the North and Western fringes of Bazentin-le-Petit Wood and were enduring particularly heavy shellfire that day.

The following 2 posts are for the 6th Bn on 9th August 1915....

post-16-1083378026.jpg

...and...

post-16-1083378125.jpg

Hi Dave,

Yes Pte Longworth was from Burnley.

Are you thinking of David Ingham who's site on Burnley gallantry winners is excellent,the address is Http//mysite.freeserve.com/burnley_gallantry/awardsindex.htm.

Any other info you might have will be great.

Many thanks for your help.

Regards.

Stu.

Yes Pte Longworth was from Burnley.

Are you thinking of David Ingham who's site on Burnley gallantry winners is excellent,

Hi Stu.

I know that site but ,no, I wasn't thinking of it because I thought you'd already be aware of it. I live in Burnley and am therefore able to check the Burnley Express archives amongst others quite easily, so I'll see what I can find.

Dave.