Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

East Lancashire Regiment

CROONAERT

• 2 weeks later...
John Lavin - Pte. 16985 - 7th Batt. East Lancs. Regiment KIA. July 21, 1916, Somme

Kris.

(just been going through some old photos). You may be interested in this - John Lavin's name on the Thiepval Memorial...

Dave.

post-16-1087772061.jpg

John Lavin - Pte. 16985 - 7th Batt. East Lancs. Regiment  KIA. July 21, 1916, Somme

Kris.

(just been going through some old photos). You may be interested in this - John Lavin's name on the Thiepval Memorial...

Dave.

...and here's his MIC, giving his ebarkation date to France...

Dave.

post-16-1087810899.jpg

Guest Talana Farm

Thanks Dave, I visted Thiepval Memorial at Easter and I also took a photo of John’s name. As for the MIC, I had not seen this before.

Cheers Kris

• 2 weeks later...

Dave

Any chance of a lookup on the 8th (Service) Btn on 16th November. I've got as much detail as the mother site has, so know that it's in the middle of the Battle of Ancre.

I've just found a memorial silk in a load of family stuff to 26330 Pte Benjamin Duckworth. I've got the CWGC listing and his MIC, but was wondering if you could shed any light on what actually happened that day

thanks in advance

Mike

Any chance of a lookup on the 8th (Service) Btn on 16th November. I've got as much detail as the mother site has, so know that it's in the middle of the Battle of Ancre.

Mike.

Here's the page from the history relating to that date....

Dave.

post-16-1088983767.jpg

I've just found a memorial silk in a load of family stuff to 26330 Pte Benjamin Duckworth. I've got the CWGC listing and his MIC

Mike.

Do you have his obituary from the "Accrington Observer" ?

Dave

Dave,

Many thanks for the lookup and posts. I don't have anything other than the silk, and now the MIC and CWGC listing.

I don't even know why we've got a copy of the silk in amongst the family history stuff.... he must have been a friend/neighbour. Interestingly I have 2 supplements to one of the Accrington papers (somewhere - filing system isn't what it should be) with photo's and details of soldiers killed, and each one has a Duckworth in it.....so there's a bit more digging to be done there.

If you have a copy of the Obit, I would be most grateful.

Again, many thanks

Mike

If you have a copy of the Obit, I would be most grateful.

I'll post it here (if I can find it) before the end of the week. Can't get it tomorrow (it's half day closing in Accy, and the library shuts at 12), but I should get it Thurs/Fri.

In the meantime, his SDGW listing (which gives his service number as 23660) gives this extra bit of info:

Born: Accrington

Enlisted : Accrington

Cause of death : Killed in Action

Dave.

Dave

Many thanks, and your right about the service number..... I think I'm going numerically dyslexic!!

cheers

Mike

Mike.

From the "Accrington Observer and Times", November 28th 1916, page 1....

Dave.

post-16-1089412595.jpg

Dave,

Many thanks, this adds a lot of personal detail that I wasn't aware of.

Very much appreciated

Mike

Dave,

Many thanks, this adds a lot of personal detail that I wasn't aware of.

Very much appreciated

Mike

You're quite welcome, Mike.

There is the possibility that another obituary exists for Ben in a later edition of the newspaper (John Lavin ,mentioned above, has 3 over 16months or so!!!) after he was "officially" declared KIA, but it'd be pure guesswork as to which edition it would have appeared in. I can't afford the time to specifically look for it, but if I ever stumble across it during my research, I'll post a copy.

Dave.

Hi,

Do you have anything on the following boys for me please?

CHADWICK John. 9676, 1st Bn. DOD 1/7/16.

WARBURTON John. 39092. 11th Bn. DOD 27/3/18. (formally 214670 RFA).

WHITTAKER Walter, 16202. 2nd Bn. DOD 27/5/18.

All lived in my home town of Warrington.

Thanking you in advance.

Mandy

Is there any mention of a Lieutenant H E Nash?

many thanks

Mandy and Patrick.

Please bear with me for a couple of days. I've lent my history out to a local researcher and should be getting it back shortly. I'll se what I can find on its return.

Dave.

Dave,

No worries, no rush,

thanks

Mandy

Mandy.

Just so I know when I get the books back, if I can't find any reference to your soldiers (which is the most likely scenario) are you wanting to know what their battalions were up to on the date of their deaths?

Dave.

Dave,

yes please, that would be great.

Thanks Mandy

Hi

I am trying to find out details about my late grandfather Thomas Duxbury who was in the East Lancashire Regiment. I wondered if there is any mention of him as I have in my possession a document which says that my grandad was invited to Buckingham Palace to receive a medal for gallantry. So far I have hit a brick wall. Even the medal indexes are of no use because we don't have his army number and its too difficult to distinguish one from another. Have also been in touch with the museum at Preston, but they were unable to help. Any help from you would be most appreciated. I know that he definitely fought in France with the Regiment so I would presume he enlisted early on in the war.

Hope you can help

ChrissieDee

Is there any mention of a Lieutenant H E Nash?

many thanks

Patrick.

No mention of Lt.Nash in the index. However, there are a couple of pages in which a Capt.Nash gets a mention. Could this be him?

Dave.

I am trying to find out details about my late grandfather Thomas Duxbury who was in the East Lancashire Regiment.

Chrissie.

No Duxbury's mentioned in the index. Do you have any other details (absolutely anything would help!) as the words "needle" and "haystack" come to mind with just the info you've supplied.

Have you looked at the online London Gazette for him? Most gallantry awards were gazzetted at some time or other.

Dave.

CHADWICK John. 9676, 1st Bn. DOD 1/7/16.

Mandy.

Nothing specific on the individuals (as expected), but here's what they were up to at the time of their deaths....

1. (1/ELR 1/7/16) - 2 posts.

post-16-1089982430.jpg

...and...

post-16-1089982497.jpg

WARBURTON John. 39092. 11th Bn. DOD 27/3/18. (formally 214670 RFA).

2. (11/ELR - 27/3/18) - 2 posts...

post-16-1089982621.jpg