Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

East Lancashire Regiment

CROONAERT

The 42nd Divison History states that the award was for an action near Briastre on the 20th October 1918.

Aha! So it does (page 185)! Quite a decent MC too. (Cookson and 6 men charging a machine gun nest of an officer and 30 men, killing 8 and capturing the rest).

I've taken another look in the History, specifically for this date. A few other events are mentioned, but not this one!!! (Strange it being in the Divisional, but not in the Regimental History).

Dave.

Me again ! :)

Can you have a look for any info for the 9th Bn around the 13th-15th September, 1916 (not certain of the date as there are two conflicting newspaper entries).

Cheers.

Andy.

Me again ! :)

Can you have a look for any info for the 9th Bn around the 13th-15th September, 1916 (not certain of the date as there are two conflicting newspaper entries).

Cheers.

Andy.

Andy,

The attack on the Macukovo positions (13th/14th September) aren't really covered in the History in the usual way. However, in the place of the usual "dry" history, there's the account of Lt.Col.S.A.Pearse DSO which covers this area quite well (actually most of the 9th Bn history is actually his memoirs!).

It's a little more "personal" than is usually expected. Do you want this extract scanning?

Dave.

The attack on the Macukovo positions (13th/14th September) aren't really covered in the History in the usual way. However, in the place of the usual "dry" history, there's the account of Lt.Col.S.A.Pearse DSO which covers this area quite well (actually most of the 9th Bn history is actually his memoirs!).

Yes please, Dave.

Andy.

Yes please, Dave.

Andy.

Here we go. (6 posts)....

post-16-1099872173.jpg

post-16-1099872245.jpg

post-16-1099872332.jpg

post-16-1099872463.jpg

post-16-1099872532.jpg

...and (last one!)...6...

Dave.

post-16-1099872759.jpg

• 5 weeks later...

Dave,

Wonder if you could help me a little with the 2nd East Lancs, 9th May 1915 ( Aubers Ridge ). I am researching some people from the 2nd Rifle Brigade, 8th Division, 25th Brigade whom had horrendous losses at Rouges Bancs, Fromelles. Some 654 casualties were suffered. On their right were the 2nd East Lancs and on their left the 1st Royal Irish Rifles.

The RB's made their objective but the 2nd East Lancs could not and only a handful of the R.I.R.'s made the old German line.

The R.B.'s retired to the old German line due to this and were wiped out by flank attacks during the evening and night. Wondered if you could let me know the Regimental side from the East Lancs, i know they were cut down by machine gun fire in no mans land but the Regimental side of things might well help me put this action together piece by piece.

Many thanks

Andy

Andy.

I'm getting a feeling of deja vu here. I'm sure I posted similar details to this on the forum somewhere for someone in the past. However, to save you trying to find it, the next 6 posts are yours.....

Dave. :D

1/ Sketch map...

post-16-1102535668.jpg

post-16-1102535765.jpg

post-16-1102535841.jpg

post-16-1102535885.jpg

5... (from the "Official History" for 9th May 1915)...

post-16-1102535965.jpg

...and 6 (details as above, though this is a bombardment map for the area.)...

post-16-1102536064.jpg

Dave,

Many thanks for the scans, valid comments on the trench maps by the way, just did not know where other to suggest.

Once again Dave, many thanks.

Andy

• 1 month later...

As per my announcement, I'm no longer able to do lookups on this thread anymore.

Sorry!

Dave.

• 3 months later...
Guest edwinwrg4751
Any look-ups required from the E.Lancs. Regimental history 1914-18, just let me know.

Dave.

do you have 2nd east lancs i am trying to find march 1917. grandad edwin wright won mm and i am trying to find any snippets of info that i can. i have diary april1917-may 1919

but i am missing previous i would be grateful for any help

do you have 2nd east lancs i am trying to find march 1917. grandad edwin wright won mm and i am trying to find any snippets of info that i can. i have diary april1917-may 1919

but i am missing previous i would be grateful for any help

Edwin.

Many apologies, but ,unfortunately, for a variety of reasons,and as you'll see from the post above yours, I no longer do "look-ups" from this history. The only thing mentioned in any detail in the history for March 1917 is the action near Bouchavesnes on 4th March. The rest of the month is covered very sketchily.

Dave.