Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Given a 'Blighty' by God

joseph

Groan! I note that immediately prior to his lightening strike, he was deprived of 3 days pay for misconduct. Perhaps I could be forgiven for thinking the Big G thought his sentence was too light so to speak.

Tr

Perhaps God wasn't such a good shot. I bet he was aiming for the C/O.

I found this - but have no way of verifying it.

"British cavalry officer Major Summerford was fighting in the fields of Flanders in the last year of WW1, a flash of lightning knocked him off his horse and paralysed him from his waist down.

He moved to Vancouver, Canada, six years later, whilst out fishing, Major Summerfield was struck by lightning again and the right side of his body became paralysed.

After two years of recovery, it was a summers day and he was out in a local park, a summer storm blew up and Major Summerfield was struck by lightning again - permanently paralysing him.

He died two years after this incident.

However, four years after his death, his stone tomb was destroyed - it was struck by lightning!"

S Hayes, Aug 27, 2008

I found this - but have no way of verifying it.

"British cavalry officer Major Summerford was fighting in the fields of Flanders in the last year of WW1, a flash of lightning knocked him off his horse and paralysed him from his waist down.

He moved to Vancouver, Canada, six years later, whilst out fishing, Major Summerfield was struck by lightning again and the right side of his body became paralysed.

After two years of recovery, it was a summers day and he was out in a local park, a summer storm blew up and Major Summerfield was struck by lightning again - permanently paralysing him.

He died two years after this incident.

However, four years after his death, his stone tomb was destroyed - it was struck by lightning!"

S Hayes, Aug 27, 2008

What a story, poor man, I wonder if he was lucky in love!.

Regards Charles

As he probably didn't exist, I wouldn't feel sorry for him ;)

http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/i...showtopic=28821

Googling "Major Summerford" and lightning only brought up the same basic facts over and over again, nothing concrete.

And there's no Summerford of Majors rank listed on the MIC's.

• 7 months later...

Chanced upon another at Aldershot Military Cemetery recently:

post-5512-1249209303.jpg

In Loving Memory

of

EDWARD PERCY TOWNSEND

'V' Coy R.A.M.C.

The only son of

Edward A. and Alice S. Townshend

who met his death by lightning

on the parade ground at Twezeldown Camp

on June the 7th 1916

Aged 22 Years

He was beloved by his kindred and respected

by all who knew him

No mention of it on his CWGC record though:

Name: TOWNSHEND

Initials: E P

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: Royal Army Medical Corps

Unit Text: "V" Coy.

Date of Death: 07/06/1916

Service No: 29145

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: AF. 1995.

Cemetery: ALDERSHOT MILITARY CEMETERY

The vast majority of non commissioned men killed in the war might have had there name listed in The Times, but the unusual circumstances of his death got Townsend a little more (note that he's given as Lance Corporal):

The Times, Friday, Jun 09, 1916; pg. 5; Issue 41189; col G Article CS87230153

News in Brief

Lance-Corporal Townsend R.A.M.C., was killed by lightning on Wednesday while standing under an oak tree at Cookham

unfortunately, this shatters the initial impression I had - from the inscription on the headstone - that he would have been struck down while on parade or drilling; instead it looks as if he suffered the consequences of doing what we're advised not to do in a thunderstorm today: seek shelter under trees.

RIP :poppy:

NigelS

Thats four, surely there can not be many more, the odds would be against it?

'Fraid not here are a few more gathered in a quick search of the Times 1914 - 18 ( there are probably others that I've missed)

Name: COOMBES

Initials: D

Regiment/Service: Duke of Cornwall's Light Infantry

Unit Text: 3rd Bn.

Date of Death: 30/05/1916

Service No: 8161

Grave/Memorial Reference: In West part.

Cemetery: TOTLAND (ST. SAVIOUR) ROMAN CATHOLIC CHURCHYARD

The Times, Wednesday, May 31, 1916; pg. 5; Issue 41181; col G

News in Brief

During a heavy thunderstorm in the Isle of Wight last evening Corporal Coombes of the Duke of Cornwall's Light Infantry was killed by lightning

The Times, Thursday, Jul 08, 1915; pg. 6; Issue 40901; col E

Soldier killed by lightning

Stanley Galloway Allen, age 36, of Hull, a driver in the Army Service Corps, was struck by lightening during a thunderstorm yesterday, The lightening struck his cap, and he was killed yesterday

EDIT 26th August ’09: See http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/i...t&p=1250756

The Times, Monday, Aug 24, 1914; pg. 9; Issue 40614; col E

News in Brief

TERRITORIALS STRUCK BY LIGHTNING - During a heavy thunderstorm on Fiday night five men of the Norfolk Brigade Territorials Artillery were struck by lightning while sheltering under a tree in Spixworth Park, near Norwich. Two of the men were seriously injured, and are in hospital

The Times, Saturday, Jul 24, 1915; pg. 9; Issue 40915; col D

News in Brief

Territorial Killed by Lightning

During a severe thunderstorm yesterday morning six London Territorials belonging to the 2/ London Field Ambulance were struck by lightening on Martlesham Heath, near Ipswich, one name Woodliffe being killed and four seriously injured.

The men of the corps were carrying out operations when the storm broke; some of them took shelter under trees, but others remained in the open heath. Woodliffe's cap badge was bent upwards, all the buttons were ripped off his tunic, and one boot was taken completely off the foot

EDIT 26th August '09: Looks like:

GRO civilians deaths July August September 1915 (Page 357)

Woodliffe, Cyril W. age 19 Woodbridge 4a 960

CWGC

Name: WOODLIFFE, CYRIL WORLAND

Initials: C W

Regiment/Service: Royal Army Medical Corps

Date of Death: 27/07/1915

Service No: 337

Grave/Memorial Reference: S. A. 16.

Cemetery: ISLEWORTH CEMETERY

NB date given by CWGC is 4 days later than that indicated by Times Article (23rd) & SDGW:

Name: Cyril Worland Woodliffe

Residence: Chelsea, S.W.

Death Date: 23 Jul 1915

Enlistment Location: Hounslow, Middx.

Regiment: Royal Army Medical Corps

Battalion: (Territorial Force.)

Number: 337

Type of Casualty: Died

The Times, Friday, Aug 17, 1917; pg. 3; Issue 41559; col G

News in Brief

Four soldiers were struck by lightning on Wednesday evening during a thunderstorm which passed over West Suffolk while a body of men were engaged in evolutions in a wood. Sergeant T. Powell and Corporal Alfred Baker were killed, and Company Sergeant-Major Barlow and Sergeant Bowyer were injured

EDIT 26th August '09: Have been unable to find any further details on Powell & Baker: They don't appear to be be in the CWGC records ie from date of death, rank and burial locations; their deaths don't appear to be recorded in the GRO civilian deaths (ages of suitable records are too old (?); the GRO Army deaths (other ranks) doesn't have any matching names - least that I can see (did these include home service? Findmypast has these as 'Overseas' deaths, is this correct? - in 1917 with the correct rank or serving with the same regiment which could with any certainity said to be them, and the same applies with Ancestry's version of SDGW. Unfortunately the Times article doesn't give a regiment or other useful details which might help

These are all UK incidents, those abroad would probably not have been made known by the services (or considered worthy of reporting individually at the time in view of other losses); interesting to note two mentions of caps, so perhaps metal cap badges played their part.

(Other than the first, I haven't attempted cross referring to CWGC etc.)

NigelS

Wherabouts are these casualty reports files. Are they with the persons service docos or are they in a separate series

Cheers

• 4 years later...
The Times, Friday, Aug 17, 1917; pg. 3; Issue 41559; col G

News in Brief

EDIT 26th August '09: Have been unable to find any further details on Powell & Baker: They don't appear to be be in the CWGC records ie from date of death, rank and burial locations; their deaths don't appear to be recorded in the GRO civilian deaths (ages of suitable records are too old (?); the GRO Army deaths (other ranks) doesn't have any matching names - least that I can see (did these include home service? Findmypast has these as 'Overseas' deaths, is this correct? - in 1917 with the correct rank or serving with the same regiment which could with any certainity said to be them, and the same applies with Ancestry's version of SDGW. Unfortunately the Times article doesn't give a regiment or other useful details which might help

These are all UK incidents, those abroad would probably not have been made known by the services (or considered worthy of reporting individually at the time in view of other losses); interesting to note two mentions of caps, so perhaps metal cap badges played their part.

(Other than the first, I haven't attempted cross referring to CWGC etc.)

NigelS

Here's a link to photos of Sergeant Fred Powell's headstone in Fenton, Stoke-on-Trent. http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=198626#entry1949069

The below photos aren't Great War-related but I can't resist adding this headstone which is in St Mary's churchyard, Neston, Wirral.

IMG_0425.jpg

IMG_0426.jpg

• 2 years later...

I realise this post is from a long time ago but the ANZAC buried in Kandahar Cemetery is in fact a New Zealander. He was Captain Jacob Hope Primmer of the NZVC. The following account of the incident was published in the 'Northern Advocate' on 6th September 1917.

Although in the midst of danger and death soldiers at the front are deeply impressed by accidents caused by circumstances outside of actual warfare, says the "Post." GunnerW.J. Wilson, writing to his father from France, after referring casually to several casualties in which he might easilyhave been the victim, says:—"The saddest affair I have ever witnessed happened not far from me the other day. A thunder storm came on, and I was sitting in my tent out of the rain, when suddenly there was a terrific crack, far louder than the sound of any gun-firing or shell-bursting. We rushed outside, and saw that a tree had been struck by lightning about twenty feet from our tent. At the foot of the tree was a cookhouse, in which ten menofthe 7th Battery had been sheltering from the rain. Our corporal was the first man to go in, and a sad spectacle confronted him. The whole ten men had been struck by lightning, and lay on the floor, some of them moaning. They were quickly taken out,and everything done to save them. One, Veterinary-Captain Primmer, had been killed, and most of the others were more or less injured.They were removed in motor ambulances, but I have not heard how they got on, although I believe some are all right. The veterinary surgeon was much liked and respected by us all, and his case was rendered particularly sad by the fact that his wife was in Paris expecting him to go and see her. The affair created a deep impression among us all, for it seemed strange that when the enemy's efforts to kill had failed, Nature should take a hand in the business, with such tragic results."

PRIMMER, J. H.

Rank: Captain Date of Death: 12/06/1917 Age: 32 Regiment/Service: New Zealand Field Artillery Grave Reference: II. D. 25. Cemetery: KANDAHAR FARM CEMETERY Additional Information: Son of Jacob and Jessie Primmer, of Dunfermline, Scotland; husband of Melaine S. Primmer, of 6, Granville Terrace, Belleknowes, Dunedin, New Zealand.