Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Killed by lightning

BereniceUK

Does anyone have any info on the incident? Was anyone else hit by the lightning bolt?

Fred Powell is buried in Fenton Cemetery, Stoke-on-Trent, and Foxhall Heath is to the east of Ipswich.

post-89807-0-92058300-1377616552_thumb.j

post-89807-0-57288600-1377617023_thumb.j

I'm sure i read a royal welsh fusilier was hit by lightning so not a unique death

Sergeant T Powell given Here, other than the initial which may have been incorrectly reported, seems to fit the bill (the thread also gives details of several other cases of lightning strikes)

NigelS

( Edit: Link URL corrected)

Edited by NigelS

Not WWI but WWII, Sgt John Bray was a career soldier, Took a reduction in rank to serve overseas. Was struck by lightening and killed in Italy awaiting the start of a cricket match. He never saw a day of battle.

Sergeant T Powell given Here, other than the initial which may have been incorrectly reported, seems to fit the bill (the thread also gives details of several other cases of lightning strikes)

NigelS

( Edit: Link URL corrected)

Thanks very much for the responses, I'll add this to the earlier thread. Cheers.

During WW II in Italy a US soldier was also killed by a lightning strike that hit the helmet he was wearing. Note to soldiers in the field if it starts to lightning remove steel helmets and sling rifles with the muzels pointed down.