Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Rorke's Drift Veteran

NeilEvans

This is Even Jones, recruiting for the 7th RWF.

I cannot remember where I "borrowed" the photo from, so apologies all round if someone out there claims it.

Gareth

Recruiting?

His white cross-belt looks mighty like a drum belt!

A classic example of being in the right place at the right time is the medal to Steventon (above). Like many of the defenders at RD, he's also a member of the 2/24th but was elsewhere at the time - as were many others of the Btn. Pte Steventon served in 'C' Coy 2/24th Foot & would have been with Lord Chelmsford on the day of Isandhlwana. 10 members of 'C' Coy were killed on 22nd Jan 1879.

It was 'B' Coy that defended RD with a handful from A, D, E, F, G & H Coy's (not forgetting the handful of 1/24th and a mix of others).

Stating that a man was in the 1/24th or 2/24th doesn't always mean "he was there". I can understand how 35 years later a mistake can easily be made..... a simple transcription for example (now where have I heard that before? :lol: )

Les

Recruiting?

His white cross-belt looks mighty like a drum belt!

I agree he is wearing a drum belt, and as such went a recruiting in the grand old manner. I expect off camera is another Sergent who called out for the boys to "Come and meet the hero of Rorke's Drift and the fight against the Zulus", and while they stood in awe of the old soldier, had their signatures on the dotted line before they knew what hit them. As for Mr Jones having put his drum down he is now awaiting his pint, payed for by the new recruits.

I only noted what is said on the photo, I suppose he might have still been playing in the band, who knows.

Gareth

• 2 weeks later...

Mates,

I don't know if you are intereted but I show a number of ALH soldiers who served in the Zulu war of 1879.

DePASSEY William A Maj AIF and 17 Lancers

PAUL George 3664 2/Cpl AIF and Black Watch

Also

ROYSTON John Robertson LtCol attach to AIF LH

I do show that Maj Pauleine's Great Nephew served in the AIF

PULLEINE James Bryant 324 Pte

Cheers

S.B

Are you sure Blount was at Rorke's Drift

No, i don't believe he was.

Please refer to my post, No. 44.

Neil

The following Rorke's Drift defenders are known to have 'served' during WW1 - there may well have been others

[WW1 unit in italics]

Private John Williams, V.C. 2/24th - South Wales Borderers

Private Thomas Buckley 2/24th - Royal Flying Corps [bWM & Victory medals]

Private Peter Kane (Caine) 2/24th - Connaught Rangers and Labour Corps

Colour Sergeant Frank Edward Bourne, D.C.M. - Adjutant School of Musketry, Dublin

Private Evan Jones, 2/24th - 2/7th Royal Welsh Fusiliers and Northumberland Fusiliers

Private Thomas Lockhart, 2/24th - A South African unit

Private Thomas Parry, 1/24th [stated as a defender in some accounts] - Army Service Corps

Sergeant Henry Edward Gallagher, 2/24th - Barrack Warden Colesworth Barracks

Sergeant Frederick Augustus Millne 2/3rd - Lancashire Fusiliers & Devonshires

Driver Charles John Robson, R.E. - Worked as a civilian labourer in the Woolwich Arsenal

Surgeon James Henry Reynolds, V.C., Army Medical Department and Private Caleb Wood, 2/24th are stated to have volunteered for service during WW1 but both were refused on account of their age

zulu

john williams served as a recruiting sgt whichyou prob new any way have his book published by a local author an intresting read

tafski