Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

War Memorial, Woking, Surrey,

bootneck

NigelS and Steve,

A wonderful amount of information on Robert Bradford.

As a brief digression from the Woking Town Memorial, I have also been looking at the following local memorial that possibly no longer is extant.

Surrey History Centre holds the Maybury School Roll of Honour written in an exercise book listing 477 Old Boys who served during the war. They also hold a copy of the programme for the dedication of the school memorial on 10 December 1919 that includes a list of 74 former pupils who died during the war, 3 of whom are not listed in the school roll, giving a total of 480 men altogether.

The roll allows the following breakdown by service to be given:

Army: 372 (includes 3 men from school memorial)

Of which the largest contingents served with:

Queen’s RWS: 108

Army Service Corps: 48

Royal Engineers: 25

Royal Artillery: 22

Royal Navy: 55

Royal Marines: 7

Airmen: 24

By Branch:

RAF: 3

RFC: 17

RNAS: 4

Merchant Service: 3

Civilian Medical Services: 2

Not stated: 1

Overseas Forces

Australian: 3

Canadian: 11

New Zealand: 1

South African: 1

And it also states that:

Commissioned: 10

POWs: 12

Wounded: 70

Decorated: 13

Consisting of:

DCM: 2

DSM: 1

MM: 5

Not Stated: 5

regards

Bootneck

• 4 weeks later...

Having now collated the names from the various local WW1 War Memorials, but not including those found in relatively modern memorial halls within the present day Woking Borough found on the following local http://www.windowonwoking.org.uk/sites/gol.../wbwarmemorials along with material held at the Surrey History Centre, I have a total of 1627 separate entries which has been whittled down to give a current total of 752 individuals, 552 of which appear on the town war memorial.

I am working my way through these names trying to identify as many as possible. If anyone has any information about anybody who appears on these memorials and is willing to share it with me it would be appreciated.

regards

Bootneck

Guys,

Sorry i missed this! How could i have done.

That information is absolutely superb, thank you very much!!

Bootneck,

Great to hear the project is coming along, well done. I have received a photo of the grave of Robert Bradford from Peter Bennett- i have attached below and can let you have a full size copy if you let me have your email address. I'm sure Peter doesn't mind me posting this here and offering to send it to you for use in your project

post-2154-1250061310.jpg

• 13 years later...