Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

War Memorial, Woking, Surrey,

bootneck

I have just started to transcribe the names commemorated on the Woking War Memorial for the First World War. I am using the memorial as the basis for a couple of talks later in the year and I was just wondering if anybody was either researching the memorial or thinking about looking at it?

regards

Bootneck

I've got somebody who is supposedly researching the memorial for the www.roll-of-honour.com website but I haven't heard a lot from them for six months so it may not be happening.

Hello Martin,

I guess you get many offers like this that come to nothing?

Let me know when the mass of "to do's" has got thinner and I shall send you a few more Kent mems. Last time we spoke you only had about 1,000 waiting!!!!!!!!!

All the very best.

Neil

Martin

I have not forgotten you neither - when redunancy finally comes there will be a lot more coming your way

Chris

Thank you for the replies.

I thought it would be best to see if anybody was doing any research into this memorial first rather than find I might be duplicating somebody else's research.

Bootneck

Hi Bootneck

As a local resident I'm obviously familiar with Woking's War memorial, but not of the details of those commemorated on it with the exception of one man, B.E.O Bond whose rather odd pre-war story I stumbled upon while - as is usual - looking for something else; subsequently I did some very basic research on his GW service.

Some months back - maybe considerably longer - there was, if I remember correctly, a story in one of the local rags (Woking News & Mail possibly) about somebody carrying out research on the memorials in the Woking area. I did jot down the details at the time with the intention of getting in touch with the guy, never got round to it, and, as is always the way, now, unfortunately, can't put my hands on the info (I'm assuming it wasn't you, :o ! , and if this is the case , as there's been no response (yet) along these lines, this chap might not be a forum member :( )

If you are interested in B.E.O Bond's pre-war story, as with the small amount of GW stuff I do have on him, I'd be delighted to share it. (I'll have another look for the mystery man's details)

Nigel

Thanks guys for the thoughts... I look forward to retirement then maybe I can grind through this lot :rolleyes:

Nigel

Thank you, I would like to hear more about Bertram Ernest Owen Bond. Please send me a PM.

I now have an initial list of 552 people commemorated on the memorial for the First World War.

Now, I have to add flesh to the bones. I think contacting the Woking News and Mail is probably next.

There is a page regarding the Woking War Memorial on the Window on Woking website http://www.windowonwoking.org.uk/sites/gol...emorials/woking.

Regards

Bootneck

Interesting that Horace Brotherwood is not listed

M2/105154 Pte Horace Brotherwood Army Service Corps. Born Apr to Jun 1898 registered at Guildford. Resided in Woking. Enlisted at Guildford (data from SDGW), served in France from 26 Sep 1915 (MIC). Later joined C Company Heavy Branch MGC and trained at Elvenden. He was the driver of Tank C1 (Champagne) which ditched durign the attack on Courcellette. Killed in Action, on 15th September 1916, after his jugular was cut by shrapnel, whilst the crew were trying to recover the tank. Buried at Pozieres British Cemetery.

Woking News and Mail 6th Oct 1916 reported: “Mr and Mrs Brotherwood of 1 Elm View Villas, Goldsworth Road, Woking have received news of the death, in action in France, of their son Pte H Brotherwood of the Heavy Section Machine Gun Corps. It is understood that Pte Brotherwood has been engaged with the famous tanks”

Stephen

Stephen,

Thank you for bringing Horace Brotherwood to my attention.

Since I started this thread I have been given a copy of the front page of the Woking News and Mail from 9 October 1914. It is a roll of honour showing men either on active service or who had joined up from the district.

regards

Bootneck

Good luck with your researach

Tell us how it goes

S

• 6 months later...

Hi Bootneck and pals,

I'm an Old Wokingian and I've just started researching the Woking County Grammar School for Boys Roll of Honour in Christ Church. I'm sure they'll be a few names on both.

The Roll of Honour is WW2 only but I am sure there must be one or two WW1 casualties esp. amongst the masters as the school opened in 1913.

Best of luck, and if you have a WW2 transcription I'd be grateful for a copy as I live in Dubai at the moment.

• 7 months later...

I have rather put research on the Woking War Memorial on the back burner due to other commitments; but have recently started to look at it again and also the local Maybury School Roll of Honour for some sort of small display in November.

If anybody can supply any information on anybody on the town memorial it would be appreciated. I have started to make various lists from the Woking News & Mail to try to identify these men, but sometimes trying to find a connection to a place can be difficult.

Two men I so far cannot make a connection to Woking with are a William George Allen and a Frank Cannons. There is a Frank Cannons listed in the Roll of Honour published in the paper on 9 October 1914, serving with the 5th Queen's, who is possibly the same man who died on 8 October 1917. Can any one help?

regards

Bootneck

I have rather put research on the Woking War Memorial on the back burner due to other commitments; but have recently started to look at it again and also the local Maybury School Roll of Honour for some sort of small display in November.

If anybody can supply any information on anybody on the town memorial it would be appreciated. I have started to make various lists from the Woking News & Mail to try to identify these men, but sometimes trying to find a connection to a place can be difficult.

Two men I so far cannot make a connection to Woking with are a William George Allen and a Frank Cannons. There is a Frank Cannons listed in the Roll of Honour published in the paper on 9 October 1914, serving with the 5th Queen's, who is possibly the same man who died on 8 October 1917. Can any one help?

regards

Bootneck

This may help, it's a local link.

http://www.windowonwoking.org.uk/sites/gol.../wbwarmemorials

Good luck

Regards

Hi Bootneck

A good number (around a hundred) of the those commemorated on the Woking memorial also appear on the St. John's memorial in the village churchyard; there are also a few burials there which are also commemorated on both memorials. I started to investigate the names on the St. John's Memorial a while back but had to put it aside because of other commitments. You're welcome to have copies of what I've gathered ( which includes a cross reference of the St. John's names to those on the Woking Memorial based on the Window on Woking link given by CT-Guards) if it's likely to be useful.

NigelS

CT-Guards and Nigel S,

Thank you both for your replies.

I already have the website book marked.

Nigel S, I would be extremely interested in copies of anything you have and would happily reciprocate with anything I have now and in the future.

I am toying with the idea of putting together a study about Woking and District during WW1, as a long term peice of research, seeing there is only 5 years to go until the centenary of the outbreak of the war. If any is interested in working on this idea or forming a Study Group, please contact me. I suppose a letter in the Woking News & Mail would be an idea or a poster in the Surrey History Centre would do.

It might never happen though as it might conflict with my research on Surrey and the support the County gave to POWs during the war and my other research interests outside the period.

regards

Bootneck

Bootneck,

Thanks for the reply and good luck.

Let us know how it's going and if you need any help let me know i'll see if I can help.

Regards

CT-Guards

Thank you once again.

As you can see I edited my last post as there were a few typos in it.

The idea of the study I mentioned looks like it might have some takers so I will keep you posted.

A detailed trawl of the Woking News & Mail looks like the place to start.

regards

Bootneck

Bootneck,

Look forward to seing the research.

If you ever come across anything on Rifleman Robert Bradford would you be so kind as to let me know? i currently have his BWM in my boy soldier collection.

Cheers

Anthony

All I have so far on Robert Bradford is what is on CWGC; but I assume you already have this.

regards

Bootneck

Hi,

Yes i do, thank you.

Looking forward to seeing what happens- will you keep us all updated?

Anthony here's some info on Robert Bradford (including CWGC for completeness) - Don't know how much of this you might already know

CWGC

Name: BRADFORD, ROBERT

Initials: R

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: King's Royal Rifle Corps

Secondary Regiment: London Regiment (City of London Rifles)

Secondary Unit Text: posted 6th Bn.

Date of Death: 06/07/1918

Service No: 50294

Additional information: Son of William John and Lizzie Bradford, of Woking, Surrey.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: II. C. 18.

Cemetery: PERNOIS BRITISH CEMETERY, HALLOY-LES-PERNOIS

SDGW (Ancestry so ignore theatre of War - Aldershot)

Name: Robert Bradford

Birth Place: Hosell, Surrey

Residence: Guildford, Surrey

Death Date: 6 Jul 1918

Enlistment Location: Woking, Surrey

Regiment: King's Royal Rifle Corps

Battalion: 6th (City of London Battn.) the London Regiment, Affiliated To K.R.R.C.

Number: 50294

Type of Casualty: Died of wounds

Theater of War: Aldershot

Comments: Formerly Tr/13/59163, 53Rd (Y Battn., K.R.R.C.

MIC

Bradford Robert; KR Rif C Pte 50294

Victory: Roll 19/101B/38 Page 4657

British: Ditto

1901 census

Source Citation: Class: RG13; Piece: 594; Folio: 26; Page: 21.

Name: William Bradford

Estimated Birth Year: abt 1874

Relation: Head

Spouse's Name: Louis NB Ancestry Transcription error: should be Lizzie

Where born: Southwark, Surrey, England

Civil parish: Horsell

Ecclesiastical parish: Horsell St Mary

Town: Horsell

County/Island: Surrey

Street Address: 2, Bleak Cottages (Anthonies)

Condition as to marriage: M

Employment status: Worker

Registration district: Chertsey

Sub-registration district: Chobham

ED, institution, or vessel: 2

Household schedule number: 128

Household Members: Name Age

William Bradford 27

Louis Bradford 23 (Lizzie!)

Elsia Bradford 2 Possibly Elsie

Robert Bradford 1

Name: Louis Bradford (Lizzie!)

Estimated Birth Year: abt 1878

Relation: Wife

Spouse's Name: William

Where born: Chobham, Surrey, England

Condition as to marriage: M

Name: Elsia Bradford Possibly Elsie

Estimated Birth Year: abt 1899

Relation: Daughter

Father's Name: William

Mother's Name: Louis (Lizzie !)

Where born: Horsell, Surrey, England

Name: Robert Bradford

Estimated Birth Year: abt 1900

Relation: Son

Father's Name: William

Mother's Name: Louis (Lizzie!)

Where born: Horsell, Surrey, England

post-5512-1247688209.jpg

'Anthonies' is a small, slightly isolated community on the Chertsey Rd (A320) between Woking & Ottershaw. see:

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&sour...mp;t=h&z=16

(Panning slightly North on the Google maps satellite view will reveal the McLaren F1 team's HQ, which at the time of this image was still under construction)

NigelS

Edit: I've asked whether he appears in the Surrey Recruitment Registers on this thread http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/i...t&p=1223059

I've asked whether he appears in the Surrey Recruitment Registers

He does?, I've added it to your request but I'll add it here too.

Steve

post-1432-1247691454.jpg