Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Portuguese expeditionary forces

michel knockaert

Michel:

Sorry, I don't have any other information regarding Antonio Gouveia Curado.

Chris

Chris,

no problem, I will be out of France ten days and when I will come back at home I will see at La Bombe Cemetery if he is buried there, who know...

Very Friendly

Michel

post-20901-1209913749.jpg

Casualty Evacuation

Another mural from the Lisbon Military Museum

Good picture Harry

thank you very much, never I went to Lisbon but I hope one day make the trip...

Michel

I found this interesting ..... as I had no idea about it at all ...... I wonder how this matches up to the real story ??

As it mentions Nelson marching through the Iberian Peninsula, probably not very accurately

Neil

• 3 weeks later...

Still reading the thread Michel. Would have answered about ORs, but have been "on leave" and am catching up with 79 pages of postings!

Hi Greenwoodman,

I think we are all in the same case, we can not be everwhere in the same time....

very friendly

Michel

• 3 weeks later...

Hello Harry

thank you very much for your help, I knew this article, but maybe other friends (Annie know also) did not know it...

very friendly

Michel

• 6 months later...

Hello,

I taught in Porto for two years in the early 1990s. I was very interested in this period of Portuguese inovlvement in the war and also the part played by the British community in Porto during the Great War.

I have a few articles on the role of Portuguese troops in France and also an unpublished thesis in portuguese on the war, as well as a book of memoirs:

'Memorias da Grande Guerra' by Jaime Cortesao. If anyone is interested.

Regards

David Blanchard

• 1 month later...

From: http://nestahora.blogspot.com/2008/04/antn...o-primeiro.html

António Gonçalves Curado, de Vila Nova da Barquinha, foi o primeiro soldado do Corpo Expedicionário Português a morrer na Flandres, aquando da 1ª Grande Guerra. Foi no dia de hoje, em 1917, pouco depois de os militares portugueses terem chegado à região (o primeiro embarque de tropas portuguesas para a Flandres teve lugar em 30 de Janeiro de 1917). Sobre a sua morte, registou o general Tamagnini no seu diário, em 8 de Abril, Domingo de Páscoa: "Chegou a comunicação oficial dos ingleses da morte do soldado e dos ferimentos dos outros. Afinal, não foram estilhaços da granada que o mataram. Caiu sobre o abrigo em que os homens estavam uma granada que fez abater o tecto e o soldado ficou com a cabeça esmigalhada e os outros, feridos. (…) Aquele pobre soldado que estava abrigado à retaguarda morre esmagado por um desabamento! C'est la guerre!"

My translation: Antonio Goncalves Curado, from [the village of] Vila Nova da Barquinha, was the first soldier from the Portuguese Expeditionary Force to die in Flanders during the First [sic] Great War. It was on this day [April 4], in 1917, shortly after the Portuguese soldiers arrived in the area. (The first arrival of Portuguese troops in Flanders was on January 30, 1917.) About his death, General Tamagnini [wrote] in his diary, on the eighth of April, Easter Sunday: "[An] official communication from the English arrived about the death of a soldier and the wounding of others.... That poor soldier, [safely] sheltered behind lines, dies smothered in a collapse. C'est la guerre!"

The passage doesn't make clear if the soldier died in the collapse of a trench or in the collapse of a building.

• 6 months later...
"This memorial postcard is titled Antonio Gouveia Curado, the first Portugese soldier killed in France.

Chris"

Hello Chris,

any idea where he is buried and where he was dead ?

Friendly

Michel

Hi!

António Curado was shipped to France on February, 22nd 1917 and died on the 4th of April 1971 (age 23) at the 1st line.

He was initialy buried in the english cemetery at Laventie (Talhão 3, Row F, Coval 12) and later was transfered to another palce at the same cemetery (Talhão 4, Row F, Coval 20). He was transfered again to the portuguese cemetery at Richebourg 1, Avoué (Talhão 2, Row E, Coval 20).

His family claimed for his remains so, after the war, in the 31st of July 1929 arrived at Lisbon and was received with great pomp by members of the government and armed forces, family and thousands of civilians. He was buried at Alto de S. João cemetery in the Great War Maosuleum.

He was once more transferred to Vila Nova da Barquinha (is homevillage) in the 18th August 1929, again with pomp, where he finally rest in peace.

P.S.: Sorry about my english

• 2 weeks later...

Olharapo:

Thank you for your very informative post--I greatly appreciate your sharing it here. I will be sure to keep a copy of your post with the postcard of Curado.

P.S. Your English is fine.

Chris