Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Name in tunic

eparges

Hi,

I have a pat.02 Service Dress that has a name tag in it, no other markings, stamps etc. I know it might be a long shot, for the name might be pre or post war, but perhaps someone has an idea or where to look...

The following is written on the tag : 'McGarrery F.Co'. I suppose the 'F.Co' stands for F Company; There are holes in the shoulderstraps that would fit territorial shouldertitles... Thanks for looking!

eparges

Can you confirm the spelling on the name tag ?

There is no McGARRERY in the Medal Index Cards at the National Archives,but there are 397 with the name McGARREY,and an impossible task to discover which is the one for you,if that indeed is the correct spelling !

There are no McGARRERYs on the War Graves site either.

Sotonmate

Hi Sotonmate,

thanx for your input. I've joined a pic, it could be M. Gerrery (perhaps I interpreted the scroll of the G for the c?) or M.Garrery?

tunic210.jpg

The name certainly looks to be McGerrery, and I'd be surprised if the owner mis-spelled his own name. One thing I'd say is that the writing does look pretty fresh for something that might date from the Great War. I've spent more hours than I'd like to say lately trying to identify names from various parts of uniform in our collection. Some of these are as recent as the 1960s and yet the names on the labels still seem to be much more faded than in this jacket.

That first e looks very different from the second e. Doing a Google search just on McGerrery or McGarrery or McGorrory come up with no hits on the first two names which suggests they are pretty rare surnames if they exist at all. There are quite a few hits for McGorrery mainly in Australia although Scotland and St Helena have at least one. Incidentally a geneology site states that in 1901 there were only 4 McGorrery famillies in Britain, all in Essex

• 2 years later...

Kia Ora!

Greetings from New Zealand!

I have no idea WHAT you have but believe it may have belonged to my great grandfather, Edmund Marston McGorrery's nephew Cedric Marston McGorrery, born 1892 West Ham to Henry William McG & Ellen Jane Groom.

Cedric Marston McGorrery married Melanie Mabel Louise Van Caster in 1922 St Giles London. He was an only child. As far as I can tell he had no offspring. He appears a few times in the London Gazette with various promotions up to 1920.

The family lived in Essex where his grandfather became the Governor of Springfield Prison after retiring from the Army, having served in the Crimea. I have photos etc and the family tree if it's helpful.

I haven't found Cedric Marston McGorrery's death yet but have a letter written 1939 giving a Birmingham address and his wife's death is recorded in the London Gazette 23 Dec 1981.

Is this of any help? WOW this is so exciting! I'd love a real photo for the family archives! I have a lot more info if you can make a link!

Marlene

New Zealand

Hi,

could someone help with /have acces to the medal index card?

Cedric Marston McGorrery

(28th London Reg, servicenr 909?)

Thanx!

MIC for C M McGorrery shows 909 Pte 28/London, T/Lt ASC, Lt RAF. DoE France 26/10/14.

Addresses HQ Horse Transport Depot BEF (8/1/18), 6 Oliver Ave, South Norwood (31/12/19).

Adrian

MIC for C M McGorrery shows 909 Pte 28/London, T/Lt ASC, Lt RAF. DoE France 26/10/14.

Addresses HQ Horse Transport Depot BEF (8/1/18), 6 Oliver Ave, South Norwood (31/12/19).

Adrian

Thanx again Adrian for the MIC. Would it be possible to find out more about Cedric Marston McGorrery? For instance, at what date he engaged in the Artist Rifles, or what was his posting in the RAF :rolleyes:

Blimey, this thread could have an amazing conclusion.

eparges/Marlene

His date into RAF would be around Apr 1918 I seem to remember that is when they began to operate under that title. His RAF service record will be on AIR76/326 at our National Archives. It usually shows (even if the unit initials are sometimes hard to decipher !) postings and dates. The 1/28th Bn London Regt were in France as GHQ Troops from Oct 1914,so it looks as if he landed with them from the start of their actions. Their War Diary is under WO95/128 and runs from Oct 1914 to May 1917.

I have looked in the Army Officer Service records index and found nothing to his name under either WO339 or WO374.A file in these series would have contained his (Other Rank) soldier records from the start. There is no attestation/service record on Ancestry UK either. (I'd better say that I didn't find it, as sometimes someone else finds where I didn't !).

Sotonmate

This might tell you:

Air Ministry: Department of the Master-General of Personnel: Officers' Service Records:

Name McGorrery, Cedric Marston

Date 14 June 1892

Catalogue reference AIR 76/318

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documen...Edoc_Id=8243763

Cedric Marston McGorrery, born West Ham district, Essex, 14 June 1892, married Melanie M.L. van Caster in St Giles, Middlesex, in Jul/Aug/Sep 1922, and died in Worthing, Sussex, in the June quarter of 1969 (ref. 5h 2161).

Adrian

Kia Ora Guys

I am over the South Pacific moon!

Thank you Adrian for finding the Index Notice of Cedric 's death _ I can now order the certificate!

Apwright and Sotonmate- I am very grateful for that reference /information also as I have been completely lost when trying to search the NA records and it appears you have his birth date as well!

Rene I am most grateful to you for your help and I'd love it if you could post the photo I sent you - I think the Team deserves to put a face to the name! And the uniform might help with some other gems???

Cedric's Uncle Edmund married my great gran, the 13th child of the Rev David Hogg, the first Presby Minister of St Pauls Wanganui - my parents married there and I was christened there so I am absolutely thrilled to have all this information.

From a casual search on the Internet a few days ago I think I have located the last of the McGorrerys, and Rene will have a provenance for the tunic!

THANK YOU ALL.

NOW who wants to look for Capt Henry McGorrery born 1812 who served in the Crimea? Any chance of his records being available?

Marlene

New Zealand

Blimey, this thread could have an amazing conclusion.

Andrew you are SOOOOOO right!

Marlene

Well, here's the pic of Cedric, if I'm not mistakin as (T) Lt. Asc.

mcg210.jpg

Well done Rene! I must learn how to post photos! Thank you to all who helped! I have ordered Cedric's Death cert but have not ordered the National Archives doc. I am awaiting a parcel from a cousin who may have additional info. I'll let you know asap.

regards

Marlene

Not wanting to rain on the parade, and perhaps I have missed something, but doesnt the picture of the naming show an F as the initial - where is the link to Cedric ??

I've had a long day - so may have the wrong end of the stick :-(

Not wanting to rain on the parade, and perhaps I have missed something, but doesnt the picture of the naming show an F as the initial - where is the link to Cedric ??

'F Co.', as in 'F Company'..........

eparges/Marlene

Yesterday at Kew (apart from meeting members researching for new books):

i) No soldier service papers found (909 28 Londons),

ii)No Officer papers found (2/LT ASC) but there is a Long Number on the WO338 index (288174) which does not decode to a number in the WO339 series. An Enquiry Officer told me that his Army details would have been sent to the RAF and they would have taken what they needed and discarded the rest,and,

iii) found his RAF record sheet in AIR76/318,a sparse 2-paged document on microfilm,which merely states ex-ASC,with an "Outgoing Authority"dated 13.4.1918 from his previous unit (ASC) and the only other entry is Movements to:"Home Estabs.12.3.1918. The second page is bereft of data other than the standard printed boxes. If you want this document it should be on my digicam and a PM with e-mail address will secure it.

Sotonmate

What an enjoyable thread.

A few thoughts, all made in good faith. Apologies if I am missing something but are we sure that this is one story and not two (or more)?

1) The spelling on the label is questionable. (To me, even the last R could be a T)

2) Even if we accept that the spelling of the surname is the same, is there a definite connection yet between Cedric and the label? The keys would be the type of jacket and the other written element "F.C?" (The Co. part of the image doesn't appear on my PC). Do we have evidence that Cedric would have worh such a jacket and that he was in an F.Co?

3) An earlier post raised a point about the good condition of the materials. On other furum pages that might have influenced it's age authentication.

4) Is the label written in ink* or sewn? How often would this type of clothing be worn? If ink it must have been washed very seldom. (*I think, ink)

5) Who would wash such an item? A batman or a more central laundry? Would they not need more than name and company on each item or is that enough to get it back to the owner? Particularly as Co's can change or be rearranged.

6) The stitching on the label is almost invisible, a great job. Yet it appears to be slanted to the line of the jacket. In my mind those two don't go together easily.

For what it's worth, I do hope the two stories collide. Just keen to ensure the "what ifs" are explored.

What an enjoyable thread.

A few thoughts, all made in good faith. Apologies if I am missing something but are we sure that this is one story and not two (or more)?

1) The spelling on the label is questionable. (To me, even the last R could be a T)

2) Even if we accept that the spelling of the surname is the same, is there a definite connection yet between Cedric and the label? The keys would be the type of jacket and the other written element "F.C?" (The Co. part of the image doesn't appear on my PC). Do we have evidence that Cedric would have worh such a jacket and that he was in an F.Co?

3) An earlier post raised a point about the good condition of the materials. On other furum pages that might have influenced it's age authentication.

4) Is the label written in ink* or sewn? How often would this type of clothing be worn? If ink it must have been washed very seldom. (*I think, ink)

5) Who would wash such an item? A batman or a more central laundry? Would they not need more than name and company on each item or is that enough to get it back to the owner? Particularly as Co's can change or be rearranged.

6) The stitching on the label is almost invisible, a great job. Yet it appears to be slanted to the line of the jacket. In my mind those two don't go together easily.

For what it's worth, I do hope the two stories collide. Just keen to ensure the "what ifs" are explored.

Kia Ora

Also in good faith!

1. As soon as I saw the handwriting it spelt McGorrery to me! Are you suggesting Mc Gorrety? I can no find no evidence of a single birth, death or marriage between 1838 and 1941 of that spelling. There are some mistranscriptions in censii but that could be the fault of the Enumerator at the time or the Transcriber in India where I believe the census material was sent for typing. The McGorrrery family were well educated comimg froma military background on their paternal side and a legal (lawyers) on the maternal side.

2. After decades of Family history research I know there were only 2 McGorrery families in England - both military families beginning with Baptisms at Woolwich 1812 of Henry McGorrery. By 1881 there were 2 sons William Thomas 1876 & Henry George 1879 and their sister Henrietta Kate alive from the 2nd family and they were living with a "soldier's wife" but no parents. I have NOT explored this branch in any depth but suspect they have a connection with Australian explorer of some note. Whatever William Thomas McG died in 1912 at Portsmouth aged 36. No further sign of Henry George has been found.

Henry McGorrery had 13 children. Only 2 sons survived Henry William born 1852 the father of Cedric Marston and my gt grandfather Edmund Marston who immigrated to New Zealand.

I have a copy of the label and it definitely reads McGorrery F Co. It looks like a 2 has been added after the "o" in Co which may mean he had 2 tunics One for "best"? The 2 may have been added with one of those pencils (carbon?) that i used to borrow from father's office ..If you licked the lead it looked like purple ink and was very difficult to remove!!

Cedric had 3 surviving aunts Maria, Catherine aka Kate and Mary Adeline aka Lena all remained single and may have helped with sewing of the label. Or perhaps his mother did it! Or perhaps he was well trained!

3. I'm no expert on uniforms!

4. Rene - your call!

5. In censii the McGorrerys had servants so I imagine washing was done with care!

6. Not sure what this means?

Fogarroch I have no idea if the tunic is Cedric's but I do know he was the last of the McGorrery line and as we have the photo of him in uniform which I supplied to Rene I know he served his country and is mentioned in the Army listings in the London Gazette as was his father and grandfather!

Unfortunately due to the lack of service records we might never know for sure.

Cheers

Marlene

eparges/Marlene

Yesterday at Kew (apart from meeting members researching for new books):

i) No soldier service papers found (909 28 Londons),

ii)No Officer papers found (2/LT ASC) but there is a Long Number on the WO338 index (288174) which does not decode to a number in the WO339 series. An Enquiry Officer told me that his Army details would have been sent to the RAF and they would have taken what they needed and discarded the rest,and,

iii) found his RAF record sheet in AIR76/318,a sparse 2-paged document on microfilm,which merely states ex-ASC,with an "Outgoing Authority"dated 13.4.1918 from his previous unit (ASC) and the only other entry is Movements to:"Home Estabs.12.3.1918. The second page is bereft of data other than the standard printed boxes. If you want this document it should be on my digicam and a PM with e-mail address will secure it.

Sotonmate

Kia Ora Sotonmate

THANK YOU! I do appreciate the time you have taken as I know just how long this type of research takes! I willl PM when I find out how to do it!

Marlene

Marlene/eparges

The pics were taken from a microfilm from a screen and have now been found to be unacceptably fuzzy,so no pics. There is little to read,and I have entered all the detail here.

Sorry,it is always difficult (for me) to get pics from microfilm/fiche off a screen.

Marlene,

The washing of the clothes was not always done by the servants at home ! If you read of the unit coming out of the front line to "rest" you will see that they had a treat of a bath,and whilst they were bathing their clothes were washed for them,so I doubt that much care was taken there !

Sotonmate

Marlene/eparges

The pics were taken from a microfilm from a screen and have now been found to be unacceptably fuzzy,so no pics. There is little to read,and I have entered all the detail here.

Sorry,it is always difficult (for me) to get pics from microfilm/fiche off a screen.

Marlene,

The washing of the clothes was not always done by the servants at home ! If you read of the unit coming out of the front line to "rest" you will see that they had a treat of a bath,and whilst they were bathing their clothes were washed for them,so I doubt that much care was taken there !

Sotonmate

Many thanks for the thought Sootnmate. I have listened to my grandfather's and read of life in the trenches so am very aware it was no picnic ! Rene has told me in private emails however "it establishes that it (the Tunic) has never seen the trenches" so I become more confused with each posting!

Thanks again

Marlene