Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

GWF Non-Com Progress

Terry Denham

Very impressive results. I salute all those who have been active in this area. Nice to know that these men's sacrifices are now properly being remembered...

WELL DONE ALL ;)

• 4 weeks later...

November update of non-com submissions on behalf of IFCP and GWF members this year....

January 2008 - 9 cases submitted

February 2008 - 13 cases submitted

March 2008 - 16 cases submitted

April 2008 - 18 cases submitted

May 2008 - 17 cases submitted

June 2008 - 19 cases submitted

July 2008 - 26 cases submitted

August 2008 - 11 cases submitted

September 2008 - 8 cases submitted

October 2008 - 9 cases submitted

November 2008 - 10 cases submitted

Total results to date...

Submitted - 335

Accepted - 272

Still in process - 61

Rejected - 2

Very impressed - lets all keep it up

Chris

• 1 month later...

Just to finish the year...

December update of non-com submissions on behalf of IFCP and GWF members this year....

January 2008 - 9 cases submitted

February 2008 - 13 cases submitted

March 2008 - 16 cases submitted

April 2008 - 18 cases submitted

May 2008 - 17 cases submitted

June 2008 - 19 cases submitted

July 2008 - 26 cases submitted

August 2008 - 11 cases submitted

September 2008 - 8 cases submitted

October 2008 - 9 cases submitted

November 2008 - 10 cases submitted

December 2008 - 12 cases submitted

Total results to date...

Submitted - 347

Accepted - 282

Still in process - 63

Rejected - 2

Other members have also had their successes. Well done to everyone. I hope the above results will encourage everyone in their researches.

As a matter of interest...CWGC added 180 'new' WW1 casualties to its Debt of Honour in 2008 (plus 7 WW2 and 3 WW2 Civilian War Dead).

A very well done to all concerned

Guest KevinEndon

190 people who have finally came in from the cold. Well done to everyone who has helped find these men and helped get them the recognition they deserve.

Here's to many more this year

Kevin

Terry

I know that you do a final check/cross check on the names submitted by the volunteers as possible non coms. Out of interest how many of those names do you find as actually being already commemorated.

Will

It varies. Generally, I would guess that 60% or so are found under other spellings etc although I have never actually kept tally of that.

Often army men will be found under RAF as the main unit with 'and XYZ Regiment' as a secondary. Most are missed due to spelling variations or number variations (such as men listed in one source with a prefix and not in the other). Also, Labour Corps men are usually found under their former regiment.

With officers, most are found with double barrelled names - with or without hyphens. Most names are missed by volunteers due to typos in SDGW/ODGW/GRO/CWGC as appropriate and it is not surprising that they are missed with the large volumes being checked.

Sometimes all names on a submitted batch will be found but that is rare. Usually each batch will generate between two and eight possible names.

I have just completed a batch with only five possibles - a smaller number than average. Two have been found and three have not - a fairly typical result. However, another batch of five could produce a totally different result.

I don't mind how many I find actually already listed. The important ones are those being found that are not listed!

Guest KevinEndon

We turn a big list into a small list, Terry turns it into a smaller list and CWGC make it even smaller (2 returned), which then get added to a huge list (CWGC)

Truly excellent work by Terry and all those involved. Your hard work and tireless devotion is admired and respected. If only there were many more people in this world who cared so much, it be alot better place to live.

Keep up the amazing work and here's to a fruitful 2009

Wayne