Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Adanac Military Cemetery at Miraumont

royalgarrisonartillery

If anyone is travelling too this part of the Somme battlefield would they please take a photograph of the following grave:

200853 Pte Alfred Cook, East Lancs Regt. He is buried in plot VII, row J grave 2.

Any assistance would be very much appreciated.

Many thanks.

Tom

Have a look here, though nothing has come out of it at present:

http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/i...4&hl=adanac

Tom

If you have not got a copy by then I will be there in May. Looking at you address you may not have visited the cemetery. attached is a general shoti PM me with your email if you want a "good" copy

Peter

post-14342-1205737139.jpg

Many thanks Peter for your kind offer. I've just sent you a Pm.

Regards

Tom

Tom - will try and get this for you at the weekend....

Alan

Tom - will try and get this for you at the weekend....

Alan

If it would be possible for you to photograph the soldiers grave I posted in the thread I linked earlier as well it would be much appreciated.

Hi Andrew - hadn't noticed your request before - I'll see what we can do....

Alan

Many thanks Alan for your kind offer. It's much appreciated.

Tom

Hi Andrew - hadn't noticed your request before - I'll see what we can do....

Alan

Thanks Alan. :)

• 10 years later...

A topic already existed for this cemetery, so 11 years later it is resurrected and used for the details of the cemetery, if nobody minds?

The ZIP files for this cemetery are  here: (ADANAC = CANADA)

I also have a folder with casualty cards relating to a number of errors in this cemetery and those telling us more about Pys British Cemetery concentrated here.

F239 Adanac Military Cemetery Errors

The CWGC tells us more: (DAL = David Avery CWGC List)

The villages of Miraumont and Pys were occupied on 24-25 February 1917 following the German withdrawal to the Hindenburg Line. They were retaken by the Germans on 25 March 1918, but recovered the 42nd (East Lancashire) Division on the following 24 August. Adanac Military Cemetery (the name was formed by reversing the name "Canada") was made after the Armistice when graves were brought in from the Canadian battlefields around Courcelette and small cemeteries surrounding Miraumont, including:-

• PYS BRITISH CEMETERY (DAL 57c.M13.d.central), (see this GWF topic) about two thirds of the way from Pys to Courcelette. It contained the graves of 22 soldiers from Canada, two from the United Kingdom and five of unknown Units, and a memorial to 33 men of the Seaforth Highlanders of Canada.

• PYS NEW BRITISH CEMETERY (DAL 57c.M.2.c.6.3), in the village, made by the 42nd Division in August and September, 1918, and containing the graves of 35 soldiers (and sailors and Marines) from the United Kingdom and one from New Zealand.

• AQUEDUCT ROAD CEMETERY, PYS (DAL 57c.M.8.d.3.7), between Pys and Le Sars, made by the 6th and 99th Infantry Brigades in March, 1917, and containing the graves of eleven soldiers from the United Kingdom.

• NEW ZEALAND CEMETERY, GREVILLERS (DAL 57c.G.30.d.35.85), close to Grevillers Churchyard, containing the graves of 19 New Zealand soldiers who fell in August-September, 1918.

• SHRINE CEMETERY, GREVILLERS (DAL 57c.G.29.b.75.50), about 500 metres from Grevillers on the road to Irles, containing the graves of thirteen soldiers from New Zealand and two from the United Kingdom who fell at the end of August, 1918. One grave (Plot IV, Row D, Grave 30) was left in its original position.

There are now 3,187 Commonwealth burials and commemorations of the First World War in this cemetery. 1,709 of the burials are unidentified but special memorials commemorate 13 casualties known or believed to be buried among them.

In earlier work on the CEFSG, we have confirmation from the CWGC that a number of the COG-BR documents for this cemetery were lost:

Adanac Military Cemetery, Miramount

You can see Ted Walsh's video for this cemetery here:

Adanac Military Cemetery Video

• 5 months later...

I noticed this morning that there appears to be an error on the CWGC page for the Adanac Military Cemetery. At one spot in the text it says:

One grave (Plot IV, Row D, Grave 30) was left in its original position.

While searching the records on another case I noticed that there was a note on the top of the page that shows the Plot 1 Row A graves. In the upper left hand corner in red ink it says:

Except for Plot 4 Row B Grave 30, all burials in this cemetery are concentrations.

If you check out ROW B versus ROW D you can see that it is ROW B that is the correct location, as there you will find Private J. R. Lound #52163 of the 6/Leicesters who has a date of death of 7 July 1919. He is the only burial in the cemetery in 1919, so I would suspect he was with a burial party and was accidentally killed. The war diary ends on 30 March 1919.

Private A. Edwards #102001 in Plot 4 Row D Grave 30 was killed on 21 August 1918

GRRF 2229256

doc2229256.JPG

GRRF 2229334

doc2229334.JPG

GRRF 2229339

doc2229339.JPG

I have sent this in to the CWGC.