Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Pys British Cemetery

Broznitsky

Does anybody know more about Pys British Cemetery, over and above what is listed under the description of Adanac Cemetery on the CWGC site?

I have a man who got lost in the consolidation. :angry2:

I'd suggest contacting the CWGC direct and asking them, as they should have all the original burial location details and may be able to advise what became of him.

In the meantime, does this link to Adanac help in any way? WW1 Cemeteries

Thanks Kevin, I have the burial details. Somehow the Directorate of Graves Registration and Enquiries lost him. He is now remembered on the Vimy Memorial.

Thanks too for the link, but it just repeats the description on the CWGC site.

• 4 years later...

I too am most interested in the location of Pys British Cemetery and my attempts to pin down the area are discussed on our CEFSG forum here:

http://cefresearch.ca/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=81&t=12654

I have another group from the 3rd Bn CEF lost and all found in the area of M13-M14 for October 8, 1916 and I think they may have all been at Pys British Cemetery as well, which might place it at around M13 d.5.5 so a wee bit to the east.

I will contact the CWGC directly and see if they can confirm the original location.

This is the area where I think it may have been located:

tetrvrnpm0ttazh6g.jpg

To get closer to the exact position, it dawned on me that there are a number of descriptions of the burial locations for the 22 Canadians that were exhumed from Pys British Cemetery and moved to Adanac Military Cemetery. Looking at those files and the description of the grave sites I believe that we can place Pys British Cemetery just north of the Courcelette North Practice Trenches here:

7543wd69c9tn5kk6g.jpg

• 9 months later...

Hi, I was also looking for Pys British Cemetery location.  What is the exact source of the map shown here? 

From another trench map I have, the boundary shown in the map is near "Dyke Road". Soon I will be there again to explore the area as to locate the posotion of the 16th Btn. CEF in October 1916. 

PS: The "Pys Road" (also marked on my trench map, is the right road of the Y-junction  which is shown on your map above n°.24 section, the left road there is the actual D107 (passing along Adanac Cemetery) 

Edited by Frank Flanders
extra information