Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

My battlefield story

MoonMonkey

Geraint

I am well aware that these are sensitive places, and should be treated with respect. I too lost family memebers in the Somme, two of my mother's uncles from the Irish side of the family, bodies never found, their names on the Thiepval monument (Towey)

Remember we are talking about some small pieces of rusty barbed wire, grenade shrapnel, and bullet cases lying at the edge of a ploughed field. We are not talking about men's personal possessions, these are the general materiel of war. What happened there in 1914-18 was on such a massive scale that these things are very common, they are not rarities. I am sure such materiel was cleared away and disgarded in 1918, since it would have been considered debris, not possessions. This just happens to still be there as it was buried when the battelfields were cleared.

I guess in that situaiton there are a few things that can be done:

1) leave it where it is, so that it disappears again and stays forgotten.

2) Take it somewhere official. As I found nobody is interested in such stuff as it is so commonplace.

3) Use as historical materials. The kids have been inspired to find out about what happened there, and done some brilliant projects about the men who fought there.

I think in future I would take option 1, you are right, 90 years is still too sensitive an issue to risk treading on feelings.

Geraint,

I found your lines quite moving;

"Tread softly, for you tread on my dreams"

Are they yours/from a poem, if there is more please share it.

Regards,

Scottie.

Hi Scottie

It comes from the following

Aedh Wishes for the Clothes of Heaven

by William Butler Yeats

Had I the heavens' embroidered cloths,

Enwrought with golden and silver light,

The blue and the dim and the dark cloths

Of night and light and the half light,

I would spread the cloths under your feet:

But I, being poor, have only my dreams;

I have spread my dreams under your feet;

Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.

Regards

John

John,

thank you very much for this, wonderful piece, is this specifically refering/relevant to Mametz Wood please?

Regards,

Scottie.

Scottie

Wish I had composed it. Its Yates, "Wind amongst the Reeds"

Last three lines being

But I, being poor, have only my dreams

I have spread my dreams under your feet:

Tread softly, because you tread on my dreams

Succinct and relevant.

Geraint

Had'nt seen the other reply - I was working on this.

No not specific to Mametz composed 1899

Geraint

Scottie having pondered - It's relevant to Mametz to me, because Mametz Wood is relevant to me!

Geraint

Geraint,

I must admit that I struggle somewhat with understanding most of the Great War poetry, I put it down to 'ware I woz bouht up mate!' but every now and again some seems to connect with the 'old grey matter', pity that this is not Great War, however I will take it with me to Mametz in March and read it whilst I am there!

Regards and thank you for bringing it to my attention.

Moonmonkey,

sorry to have highjacked your thread, welcome to the Forum,

Regards,

Scottie.

Scottie

If you're going to Mametz Wood, here's THE Welsh poem of rememberance at that battlefield. It also appears on the frontispiece to Wynne Griffiths memoires 'Up to Mametz' 1931

O gofadail gofidiau - tad a mam

Tydi mwy, drwy'r oesau,

Ddysgi ffordd i ddwys goffhau

Y rhwyg o golli'r hogiau.

From the shattered mem'ries and woes - sad parents

Tis thou, Lord, that ever more

Teacheth how we heartachingly grieve

With deaths' harvest of our soldiers.

The tight alliteration and rhymes of the original make a good translation very difficult in a formal 'englyn' stanza like this.

The poet was Hedd Wyn, killed at Pilkem Ridge in 1917. In Wales, forever associated with the Black Chair of the 1917 Eisteddfod, in which; as he was proclaimed winner of the Bardic Chair, news was given of his death, and the chair enshrouded with a black coverlet.

A film was made of his life some years ago "Hedd Wyn" in which the portrayal of Pilkem Ridge and his death is probably one of the best and most graphic depictions of a First World War scene. It's a 'must see', and has subtitles.

Geraint

I endorse the recommendation of 'Hedd Wyn' (film). Very, very effective.There are a few threads on the forum, I recall.

I hope I don't sound precious, but when read in Welsh, those four lines are invested with such mournful intensity and pain it brings tears to my eyes, as the internal structure of the sounds complements the sentiments.

MoonMonkey, there are numerous threads on battlefield relics - might be worth a search. I'm glad you know what you're doing. I would not lift a ninety year old unexploded bullet to take it even to the edge of the field, but you may think I'm overcautious.

Gwyn

Geraint

That poem is used on the village memorial at Penygroes (the Caernarfonshire one)

There have been a couple of threads about it in the past I seem to recall.

Hywyn

Hywyn

Thats where I got it - photo of Penygroes memorial in Gwaedd y Bechgyn! Any comments on my instantanious translation!?

Moonmonkey

No probs! I tend to get very emotionally involved with Mametz!

Ni all pellterau eich gyrru'n angho

Blant y bryniau glan

Calon wrth galon sy'n aros eto

Er ar wahan. (Hedd Wyn)

Distance cannot make us forget you:

You children of the vales

Our hearts still yearn for you

Despite your seperation from Wales.

Enscribed on the Dantzig Alley Memorial Bench, presented by 14th RWF to the 38th Welsh Division.

Hwyl

Geraint

Geraint - It is very understandable to get emotional about such places, especially if you have personal connections. That is why I think while it is important to inspire younger generatation to find out about the stories of the people who were caught up in such places, it is also important to teach younger people that these are emotionally charged places, and they need to be careful about inadvertently hurting other people's feelings. Something that may seem inncocent to them could be full of significance to others. It is something I have come to realise over the last few days. As you rightly poiny out, it is important to tread carefully, and that is a sentiment that I will now pass on.

Gwyn - Bullets tend not to go off that easily, otherwise they would be dangerous for the men who handle them. With 90 years in the damp they get even less volatile. But you are right, one should never take unecessary chances, and one should certainly never encourage others to.