Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

16th Battalion Manchester Regiment

DaveMurphy

G'day All,

I have a spare fifty-odd summers of Australian cricket domination on my hands, and am starting a database on the Officers and Men of my Great Grandfather's beloved Battalion

the 16th Manchesters, to keep my winters interesting.

I have most of the mainstream reference material but if anyone out there in Pals-land has any information on any soldier of the 16th, I would be supremely thankful for it.

So no matter how small or obscure, if your man served with the 16th, I would love to hear from you!

Cheers,

Dave

Dave

Don't know if you have the Man City Battalions book of Honour in your library but it lists all the Officers and has Captain John as Lt & QM.

Dave.

PS non of my business i'm sure. but how did you end up with 3 G grandfathers?

Dave

Several 16th men on my website - feel free to grab anything you need:-

BRIGGS John

CARTWRIGHT Samuel

CHASE George Frederick

DAWSON Frank T

EDGE George

GARNER William

HALSALL Sidney Ashton

HENDERSON John Hall

HUGHES Frank

HUGHES Joseph

LAMBERT Joseph

MEIN William

OLIVER Joseph Stanley

PICKERING Edwin

STONEHEWER Richard Alfred

TURNER Ephraim

YARWOOD Thomas

I don't know if Nash's "Diary of an Unprofessional Soldier" is amongst your standard works, but I have it if you need any look-ups.

John

BROCKLEHURST John

BUTLER John James

SHORE William

No wonder you need to keep your winters interesting. Tales of derring-do in the Wallaby front row ain't gonna cut it, are they?

Team,

Only a short reply, as I am out the door to be at sea for a week. Will reply longer when I get back.

Dave. I don't have the book of honour but am sourcing a copy, you know where I could get one?

I like most, have four great grandfathers, the fourth was a soldier in the Worcestershire Regt post war.

Harters. As always, thanks. Interestingly, I have a portrait/picture of Yarwood if you would like a copy! He was QM on formation then handed to Ball.

I do have Nash's book.

Greenwoods. Thanks. Any further info on these men, and where they came from? Yes the Wallabies are short of a forward pack...have been for some time. <_<

Thanks all!

Back Friday.

Cheers,

Dave

Dave

You've already sent me a copy of your Thomas Yarwood (or someone else did).

My Thomas Yarwood was a Pte who, originally, was uncommemorated by CWGC. Now sorted - I have a photo of his recently inscribed name on the Pozieres memorial.

John

Dave

Could I firstly apologise for what must have seemed an impertinent question, unless like me your thinking of 'GRANDFATHERS' I was envious only having 2 !! (know wonder I'm not aloud out on my own anymore)

As you may know, the City Battalions Book lists all the 16th along with Platoon photographs, the officers picture appears to have the same backdrop as the picture in the Manchester Pals book but includes two more rows of gentlemen.

I've had my copy for about ten years and I think I paid £30 at a medal fair, I've seen a couple of others for sale since but it's not a common book, (down in the south at least) you might try 'abebooks' the online book dealers website, it appears to be world wide so it may save you something on postage, the book itself has some 900 pages and is about the same size as Burke's Peerage

In the Officers picture there is a gentleman on the front row sporting a very grand moustache and seems to have the Boer War medal ribbons and oddly enough the only one wearing puttees, the rest are in high boots,

If its any use I'll try and copy and load it

Dave.

I don't have the book of honour but am sourcing a copy, you know where I could get one?

Dave

Do you want the actual book to sit on the shelves or will a CD do you?

If the latter, then the Manchester & Lancashire Family History Society has two CDs. First one is the platoon photos. Second volume is the employers' roll of honour. Both indexed.

http://www.mlfhs.org.uk/Bookshop/index.html

If the former, AbeBooks has several listed at £65 and up. Including 2 copies wit a bookseller in Perth, WA.

John

Dave,

here is a photograph of 6485 Sgt George S Deane as a PoW. George was an original member of the 1st City Battalion arriving in France on the 8th November 1915.

Simon.

Dave

Could I firstly apologise for what must have seemed an impertinent question, unless like me your thinking of 'GRANDFATHERS' I was envious only having 2 !! (know wonder I'm not aloud out on my own anymore)

As you may know, the City Battalions Book lists all the 16th along with Platoon photographs, the officers picture appears to have the same backdrop as the picture in the Manchester Pals book but includes two more rows of gentlemen.

I've had my copy for about ten years and I think I paid £30 at a medal fair, I've seen a couple of others for sale since but it's not a common book, (down in the south at least) you might try 'abebooks' the online book dealers website, it appears to be world wide so it may save you something on postage, the book itself has some 900 pages and is about the same size as Burke's Peerage

In the Officers picture there is a gentleman on the front row sporting a very grand moustache and seems to have the Boer War medal ribbons and oddly enough the only one wearing puttees, the rest are in high boots,

If its any use I'll try and copy and load it

Dave.

Dave,

Thanks for the look up. If you do happen across another copy at a similar price, please set it aside for me. In the meantime, I have sourced the CDs, which are winging their way from the UK. Have only found it online for nearly A$300. Which will take a little convincing for the family treasurer!. I do have a copy of the photo, and I also beleive the man you pointed out is my GGF.

BTW, do you actually 'Fly Navy', if so, what?

Cheers,

Dave

Dave,

here is a photograph of 6485 Sgt George S Deane as a PoW. George was an original member of the 1st City Battalion arriving in France on the 8th November 1915.

Simon.

Simon,

Cheers mate, thanks for the pic. Mind if I take a copy? Do you have any more info on him?

Dave

Dave

Several 16th men on my website - feel free to grab anything you need:-

BRIGGS John

CARTWRIGHT Samuel

CHASE George Frederick

DAWSON Frank T

EDGE George

GARNER William

HALSALL Sidney Ashton

HENDERSON John Hall

HUGHES Frank

HUGHES Joseph

LAMBERT Joseph

MEIN William

OLIVER Joseph Stanley

PICKERING Edwin

STONEHEWER Richard Alfred

TURNER Ephraim

YARWOOD Thomas

I don't know if Nash's "Diary of an Unprofessional Soldier" is amongst your standard works, but I have it if you need any look-ups.

John

John,

Have grabbed the names for now, will grab the rest later.

May I publicly comment on the quality of information on your site. It appears to be very well researched, is most informative and interesting, and you have clearly put a great deal of work into it! Well done!

Dave

Dave

BTW, do you actually 'Fly Navy', if so, what?

Cheers,

Dave

No...... I was a Chief Armourer, mostly in Naval Air Commando Sqdns, heavier than air machines will never come to anything!!

It's the RNAS/Fleet Air Arm's 100th birthday next year and all the old boys associations have been asked to raise the awareness of it were/when they can. If I do see another copy of the book at a decent price I'll get it for you, if the CD is a search-able one that will be a great advantage when looking for some one in the 'employers' section. Although electronic ref's are really handy I still have a paper ref where I can (must be an age thing)

Dave.

Dave,

I understand that it is indexed and searchable, so should be a great resource. It is being flown by carrier pigeon across the Indian Ocean as we speak.

I would still like a copy of the book as well though!

Aye,

Dave

Dave & Dave

- both CDs are fully indexed which does, indeed, make finding someone in the employer listings very easy (although I find the indexing is a bit "iffy" when it gets to the Appendix(

John

• 9 months later...
Guest Rick Garner
G'day All,

I have a spare fifty-odd summers of Australian cricket domination on my hands, and am starting a database on the Officers and Men of my Great Grandfather's beloved Battalion

the 16th Manchesters, to keep my winters interesting.

I have most of the mainstream reference material but if anyone out there in Pals-land has any information on any soldier of the 16th, I would be supremely thankful for it.

So no matter how small or obscure, if your man served with the 16th, I would love to hear from you!

Cheers,

Dave

Guest Rick Garner

Dave

My Great Uncle, L/Cpl 6527 William Mein MM, served in the 16th Manchesters, killed 01/07/1916 at Montauban.

I have only just started researching his history and if anyone has any info on him, it would be greatfully received.

Regards

Rick

Hi,

Edward GAYNON

Sergeant 39634

16th Battalion, Manchester Regiment

KiA in France on Monday 23 April 1917

Edward was a married man residing at 56, Princes Street, Southport with his wife and four children. He was the father of Mrs. Annie Gregson of 13, Paddington Avenue, Newton Heath, Manchester. Edward enlisted in the Army at Oldham at which time he stated he resided at Failsworth, Lancashire. Killed in action at 42 years of age he is commemorated on the Arras Memorial on Bay 7 and on the Southport RoH.

Harold HAWXBY

Company Sergeant Major 7115

16th Battalion, Manchester Regiment

KiA in France on Sunday 9 July 1916

Harold was born in Flixton, Lancashire, to Mr and Mrs Henry Hawxby of 34, Church Road, Chorlton cum Hardy, Lancashire, his father being a clerk in an insurance office. His mother predeceased him.

Harold resided in Ainsdale, Southport and enlisted in the Army at Manchester. A married man, he resided at 30, Gordon Road, seaforth, Liverpool with his wife Hilda. He was drafted to France on Monday 8 November 1915.

Harold is commemorated on the Thiepval Memorial on Pier and Face 13A and 14C and was 34 years of age.

(You wouldn't by any chance have the War Diaries that cover the above dates ??)

Regards,

Graeme

Rick

L/Cpl 6527 William Mein MM, is on this photo, unfortunately i don't know which soldier he is

427648948_vd7mC-L.jpg

Graeme

Edward was originally posted as MIA, please feel free to join us at the Manchester Regiment Group, we have the war diaries

427649785_u8ouD-L.jpg

The Manchester Regiment Group

the manchesters forum

cheers

chris

• 1 year later...

Just going through some pictures I took during the Rugby World Cup 2007 and found the one for LCpl Mein MM 16th Manchester Regt KIA 1 July 1916.

post-23429-1265675105.jpg

Chris

Many thanks for the information, I will have a look at the site, cheers.

(Sorry for delay but I have been seeking winter sun for a couple of weeks).

Graeme

• 2 years later...
Guest WDoherty

Hi Dave,

My great uncle was in the 16th and killed on the 27th July 1917. I have some information about him that I can send if you want. His name was John Doherty aged 19.

Thanks

Wayne

• 6 years later...

Hi i am a new user on the forum i wondered if anyone as any information on my two great uncules who both served in the manchester regiment 16th battilion in 1917,fred william bell killed april 23rd 1917 battle of arras,and robert edward killed may 16th 1917 515942,i would apreciate any help .thnks

Edited by Guest
Wrong spelling

Hi Michal

And welcome to the site.

You would be better starting a new post on your two Great Uncles. As this is an old post, get there name in lights in this year of remembrance. All the best with your research. You should also try the Manchesters Regimental site. 

Roy  

8 hours ago, themonsstar said:

Hi Michal

And welcome to the site.

You would be better starting a new post on your two Great Uncles. As this is an old post, get there name in lights in this year of remembrance. All the best with your research. You should also try the Manchesters Regimental site. 

Roy  

Hi roy thanks for the information much appreciated.