Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Distinguished Conduct Medal 1914-1920

Guest Hill 60

Lee,

I'd be grateful if you could look up a Sgt J Moore. The War Diary of the 123rd Coy MGC states that he was presented with the DCM (I suume just the ribbon) on 20th Oct 1917, being awarded it for action on the 20th Sep 1917.

Julian - 42808 Sjt Moore, J.

Citation date - 06 Feb 1918

There is also an L. J. Moore, also a Sjt (23530) whose citation dates are 21 October 1918 & 03 September 1918.

There are no Moores with a citation date for 1917 in the MGC, sorry.

Lee

Thank you for the info. It is probably the first one, although His no. is not near any others in that Coy & I don't yet know much about him though. I understand that a few months between award and LG entry seems to be normal. I still don't seem to be able to get him on the LG on line, but at least I have the date when I find a printed copy or something more user friendly somewhere.

Julian

Lee

I know this could be an absolute long shot but here goes.

While doing research on a local memorial I have found a list of men who served and returned,unfortunately some of the names do not have regiments or service numbers against them.

However this man Sergt W.Johnson received the D.C.M is there any chnce of finding this man in your lists or is it to big a request.

Regards Doug

Guest Jeff Floyd

Doug,

A quick scan reveals three Sjt W. Johnson's on the DCM roll:

107394, Royal Engineers (LG, 26 Jan 1918)

14710, Northumberland Fusiliers (LG, 21 Oct 1918)

G/8393, Royal Fusiliers (LG, 28 Mar 1918) This one is listed as "W.H." Johnson

There were also some lower ranking W. Johnson's who received DCMs:

ACpl, Royal Warwickshire Regt

Cpl, W Yorks

Pte, E Yorks

Pte, Cheshire Regt

LCpl, South Staffordshire Regt

Any of these may have become a sergeant later.

It's a start.

Doug - I've had a look through the book :blink:.

There were quite a few Johnsons, most didn't have W in their initials but some did, so I have only included W. Johnson, I also included all ranks but I haven't cross-checked them with SDGW.

1. Northumberland Fusiliers: 14710 Sjt W. Johnson - 21 Oct 1918

2. Royal Warwickshire Regt: 787 Cpl W. Johnson - 03 July 1915

3. West Yorks Regt: 63365 Cpl W. Johnson - 11 March 1920

4. South Staffordshire Regt (2nd Bn): 7352 L/Cpl W. Johnson - 01 April 1915

If these aren't your man, let me know and I'll have another look for you...once my eyes have come back into focus :lol:

Lee and Jeff thank you both for your hard work.

Lee there is no reason to check SDGW,he survived ;)

I'm guessing that the man in question could be 7325 L/Cpl W.Johnson 2nd Btn South Staffordshire on the basis that being from Wolverhampton he would more than likely have joined them.

The stats in relation to those who were on the memorial KIA and the list of those returning has a strong biase towards the South Staffordshire Rgt.

Does it have anymore information in relation to his award of the D.C.M.

Once again thanks for your help.

Regards Doug

Guest Jeff Floyd

7352 L/Cpl W. Johnson, 2nd Bn, South Staffordshire Regt

"For conspicuous gallantry at Givenchy on 20th February 1915. After his officers had been wounded, he led the party of the right column with gallantry and skill in the attack into the German trench" (LG, 1 Apr 1915)

Jeff

Thanks very much for the information

Regards Doug

• 1 month later...

Lee,

Have you got an entry for 3519 Sgt H Kay, 1/5th ASH (my paternal grandfather). I have an old photograph of him, and he appears to be wearing the DCM medal ribbon, although I might be mistaken. No one in the family seems to be able to confirm, and I can't find any entry in the London Gazzete.

Off-topic, I see you are a member of the Clan Davidson Association. That's my familys' clan, but didn't know there was an association. Any chance of emailing me some details.

Cheers

David

Lee - thanks for looking. I'm disappointed, but perhaps the medal ribbon is some other award. Do you know of any that would resemble a DCM on an old b&w photo?

Also many thanks for the clan association info.

Cheers

David

Lee: Can you look up CEF 107521 Sgt GT Rant 1CMRF ....thank you

jack

Lee: By any chance two more CEF: 77571 Watson, John Lawrence 15th & 30th Bn, and 75155 Armstrong, Andrew 29th Bn....thank you again jack

Jack - Sorry for the delay!

75155 Cpl Armstrong, A, M.M. London Gazette Citation Date: 15/11/18

77571 CSM Watson, J. L, M.M. London Gazette Citation Date: 15/11/18

Lee: Can you look up CEF 107521 Sgt GT Rant 1CMRF ....thank you

jack

Missed this one!

107521 Sjt Rant, G. T.

London Gazette Citation Date: 25/11/16

Lee: Thank you, two friends of my dad's and one of a friend of mine's g father. Can you tell me how to find the particulars, on line if possible ? regards jack

Lee,

Could I trouble you to look up:

Herbert Wilkinson, 1/4th York & Lancaster - DCM awarded 25/11/1916

Harry Wray, RFA. I can't find this in the London Gazette, but I believe the DCM to have been awarded in 1915 or early 1916.

Joseph Burton (DCM and Bar). I believe he was in the Lincolnshire Regiment for part of the war and the East Yorkshire Regiment as well.

T.W. Lee - I don't know anything about this man apart from a reference to the DCM in a local newspaper of September 1918.

S. Stopps - no details

T. Watkins - no details

This is a long (and not always helpful!) list. So feel free to take an age to respond - or ignore it altogether!!

Cheers,

Andrew

or ignore it altogether!!

Andrew - Would I ignore you mate?

I can't check those names without details today, I'm going out shortly :( but here are some of the others:

1. 2057 Cpl Herbert Wilkinson LG Citation date: 25/11/16

2. 78550 Gnr Harry Wray 366 Bty RFA LG Citation date: 30/06/15

As for Joseph Burton, there is a little confusion here!

There is a 9694 L/Cpl J. D. Burton, 1st Bn East Yorks Regt (LG Citation date: 01/04/15)

And the is a 3/5381 Cpl (A/Sjt) J. Burton, Lincolnshire Regt (LG Citation date: 03/03/17)

Neither regiment has a Burton with a DCM & Bar.

Lee,

Cheers mate. I've found them all on the London Gazette now. The two J. Burtons are one and the same. I look forward to any other dates you can provide for the others.

All the best,

Andrew

Lee

Please could you look for this man James Frederick Chaney 23582 Cpl RFA.

Regards Doug