Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Distinguished Conduct Medal 1914-1920

Guest Hill 60

I have a copy of Recipients of the Distinguished Conduct Medal 1914-1920 by R. W. Walker.

The enteries are set out in Regimental order and then in alphabetical order.

Each entry includes:

i. Regimental #

ii. Rank

iii. Surname

iv. Initial/s

v. Battalion, Brigade or Company details if stated in the citation

vi. Theatre of war, other than France & Flanders, if stated in the citation

vii. London Gazette citation date

Please e-mail me and I'll check to see if your man is in the book and what details are there. I have, however, found one or two missing entries.

Units covered include:

RFC/RAF, Cavalry, Yeomanry, Artillery, RE, Guards, Line Regiments, Cyclists, MGC (+ Tanks), RASC, RAMC, RAVC, CMFP, CMMP, ICC (British Section) and Commonwealth units.

• 9 months later...

Hello Richard,

I've had a look, and the following is from page 68 of the book:

The Royal Warwickshire Regiment

1437 Cpl Herrick, CE

1/8 Bn

London Gazette citation date: 11/03/16

Hope this is of use.

Richard - I'll quote directly from R. W. Walker (page vi):

'Over 98% of Distinguished Conduct Medals for this period are accompanied by a citation and most Distinguished Conduct Medals have two dates published in the London Gazette. The first date is the announcement date and the second describes the act of gallantry for which the award was given (citation). I feel that the Citation date is the most important and therefore to alleviate extra costs in printing this is the only date I have stated.'

Hope that helps mate.

Lee,

Do you have a citation date for my grandfather (details below). I can't seem to find one in the Gazette.

Many thanks

Ian

Hi Ian,

The entry is as following:

Royal Engineers (page 43)

34902 Spr (A/2Cpl) Hunt, J

17/04/18

That is all there is for your Grandfather, hope it is ok.

Many thanks Lee, only problem is London Gazette web site doesn't seem to come back with that date....grrrr!

Dear Lee

Please would you be able to check for Sapper David Price (178th Tunnelling Company RE), a local paper in 1938 states he was awarded the DCM. he was killed on June 1st 1916.

Many Thanks

David

Lee,

Could you possibly have a look for a Sgt. W.E. Young D.C.M. I have checked the London Gazette site but search does not reveal anything. I have reason to believe he may have been in the Leicesters with his brother

G. H. Young M.M. or failing that the Sherwood Foresters.

Regards Cliff.

Terry,

Thankyou for trying for Sgt. W.E. Young D.C.M. at least now I have date,

I knew this man many years ago but I'm sure if I had asked him then even if I had known about it he would'nt have told me.

Regards Clff.

Lee,

Could you do a look up on Sgt James Packer Bennington of the Northumberland Fusiliers.

Any info on his DCM would be really helpful, he's one of my local memorial men.

Bob.

Lee, Could you please look up these two men, whom I cannot find in the London Gazette

Rifleman William Royston Parnell 23 1st Fiji Contingent, Fiji Defence Force enlisted Lautoka, Fiji. European (Aust) aged 24 born Gippsland, VIC, Australia CSR Lautoka nok Chas Parnell Shepherd St, Ryde, England 1 year Rifle Club, Godalming, Surrey, England enlisted 1 February 1915 R/10202 4th KRRC wounded repatriated 2 August 1916 returned per Scandanavia Distinguished Conduct Medal for digging out Lt Col H W M Watson at Ypres 1915 received disbursement from Fiji Day Fund

and

51. 2nd Lieutenant Ernest Feason Walker 40 1st Fiji Contingent, Fiji Defence Force enlisted Savusavu, Fiji. European aged 21 nok Mrs Walker, Auckland, late of Suva enlisted 1 February 1915 R/10179 4th KRRC Officers Training Cadets, letter of recommendation commissioned to KRRC 16 May 1916 wounded, repatriated 8 June 1919 returned per Bremen Returned to Fiji per Atua from Sydney September 1919 received disbursement from Fiji Day Fund Distinguished Conduct Medal LG m. Vilimaina Fotofili

Parnell's one sounds especially interesting

Sgt James Packer Bennington of the Northumberland Fusiliers.

Bob -

5269 Sjt Bennington, Citation date 03/09/1918

That is all, no battalion mentioned, hope it is of some use.

1. Rifleman William Royston Parnell

2. 2nd Lieutenant Ernest Feason Walker

Christine -

1. Citation date - 05 August 1915

2. Pte (A/Cpl), citation date - 26 July 1917

That is all there is which you haven't mentioned, I hope that it is useful in some way.

Thanks, Lee . Now I can look them up.

Lee,

I'd be grateful if you could look up a Sgt J Moore. The War Diary of the 123rd Coy MGC states that he was presented with the DCM (I suume just the ribbon) on 20th Oct 1917, being awarded it for action on the 20th Sep 1917.

There are no other details, I tried to look him up on the LG site but with no luck !

thanks

Guest Jeff Floyd

Cliff,

18605 Sjt W.E. Young, 10th Bn, Notts & Derby. R (Whitwell) (LG, 2 Dec 1919)

"For conspicuous gallantry and able leadership during the fighting in the Foret de Mormal, on 4th November 1918. When his platoon oficer was early wounded he assumed command. His platoon was on the right flank, and had to capture a thick portion of the wood. The outskirts of the wood were held by three machine guns, but he led his platoon forward with such gallantry and ability that the position was taken at once and the guns captured. He also established communication with the battalion on his right flank".

I've got the full citations for most DCMs. If anyone needs the citation text, just let me know the recipient's name and regiment.

Distinguished Conduct Medal for digging out Lt Col H W M Watson at Ypres 1915

Found the citation thanks to your reference

"when he dug out an officer and another man, who had been buried in a trench, and dressed their wounds under a very heavy shell fire".

Can anyone add more?