Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Lawrence of Arabia

cockney tone

Myrtle,

thanks for pointing out they were Alan's pictures! (Thanks Alan)

Yes we did the climb, as you say fantastic views. I was actually surprised at the vast area Petra covers, sadly only had a day there, would have liked to spent a few days exploring it all.

Regards,

Scottie.

Scottie

After visiting Petra three times, two days and once by candlelight I realised that I would need at least a week to thoroughly explore all the main areas including the walk from Little Petra to Petra.

Regards

Myrtle

Back in the 70s and 80s when I was working as an archaeologist in Jordan we saw two carvings just off the W Ramm of TEL and Abdallah. I forget exactly where they were (I might have a photo somewhere) but they certainly weren't the images posted here. I suspect these are modern. It is a great pity that there is an increasing amount of modern graffitti in the area when there is plenty of genuinely ancient graffiti.

Yes, the camels etc are mostly Safaitic (1st - 4th centuries AD) etc.

You will also see a lot of Nabataean graffiti in Petra, also some by Roman soldiers often giving units etc, many of which have been published (including by me).

(I used to know a lot more about the Nabataean, Roman armies etc before I got interested in this modern stuff !)

Back in the 70s and 80s when I was working as an archaqeologist in Jordan we saw two carvings just off the W Ramm of TEL and Abdallah. I forget exactly where they were (I might have a photo somewhere) but they certainly weren't the images posted here. I suspect these are modern. It is a great pity that there is an increasing amount of modern graffitti in the area when there is plenty of genuinely ancient graffiti.

Yes, the camels etc are mostly Safaitic (1st - 4th centuries AD) etc.

You will also see a lot of Nabataean graffiti in Petra, also some by Roman soldiers often giving units etc, many of which have been published (including by me).

(I used to know a lot more about the Nabataean, Roman armies etc before I got interested in this modern stuff !)

Julian

At risk of being off topic would you please recommend a book on Nabataean Petra.

Myrtle