Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Discovery of list of many men who passed through Folkestone Harbour St

Charles Fair

Last pair - this time from a volume covering much of 1916.

Elisabeth on the right hand page is Elisabeth, Queen of Belgium.

post-892-1203356410.jpg

post-892-1203356499.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Nothing further to report on this. I went in to meet the archivist on 20 Feb but unfortunately she was off sick. I have yet to rearrange the meeting. Meanwhile, here is a photo of the outside of the books.

post-892-1204584967.jpg

• 1 month later...

Quick update on this... I am finally getting in to see the archivist this Tuesday, 6 May along with an academic from Canterbury Christchurch University/Folkestone People's History Centre. It appears that there is the will and hopefully the money to get them digitised. However, as I keep saying to all who will listen it is the indexing that is key....

My cousin would like to have a look at the books and maybe get involved with the project . Is there any way she can do this ?

Linden

Thanks for offers of help, I will see what happens after the meeting on Tuesday. Geoff501, thanks for your email and suggestion, that is certainly an approach that I will bring up.

The archives/KCC seem to be more focussed on the scanning/digitisation, but haven't yet thought through the implications of indexing (or indeed of not indexing).

My cousin would like to have a look at the books

All she has to do is go to the East Kent Archives at Whitfield in Dover where they can be seen. You must book an appointment first. The archives are only open for public viewing on Tues, Weds and Thurs.

• 2 months later...

Good news - Shepway District Council who actually own the books have given approval for the books to be digitised and indexed.

I now need to describe the scope of the project and put a project plan together.

In due course I will come looking for volunteers to help with transcription. Meanwhile, is there anyone there with professional knowledge of database construction who could please help with some technical advice?

• 7 months later...

Quick update:

This is moving ahead, albeit slowly as there have been some personnel changes in KCC archives service and also Folkstone Library so we are having to rebrief some of these organisations again. It looks as if the digitisation/indexing will fall under the umbrella of local project "Step Short". For more info on this project, click here: Step Short, The Grand or here: Step Short, Go Folkestone!.

Charles

Thanks for the update.

If I can assist in any way give me a shout

Andy

Hello,

This is to let all those with an interest in the Folkestone Harbour branch and station that I have started an ePetition asking that the branch should not be closed but incorporated in any re-development scheme for the area.

It can be found at:

http://petitions.number10.gov.uk/folkestone/

I hope that as many people as possible will sign it.

Patrick

Signed. I'm new(ish) to this forum and have found this very interesting.

Patrick, I see you already have contacts and Canterbury Christchurch University. However, the Canterbury University has a degree course in War Studies - have you approached any of the tutors there (I have names but you could probably search the website if you want to).

As you must be aware this is a fantastic resource for family historians. I would like to suggest you make public this find through the Society of Geneologists. This is a responsible organisation who will be able to assist you in your endeavours.

Andy - will do when I know how we are proceeding.

Patrick - thanks for that, I will circulate to people who I know are interested

Ann - I have a couple of contacts at CCCU as well as U of Kent, but if you have specific names I would be interested to hear by email

Phil - it did appear in one of the genealogy mags a year or so ago as a short news item, but I hadnt thought of the SOG.

thanks to all

Charles

• 3 months later...

This is moving forward, albeit slowly. We had a productive meeting with the Head of Libraries and Archives at KCC and various of her colleagues including the KCC person who was responsible for the recent Sevenoaks exhibition of the 500 or so plate glass photos of WW1 soldiers and nurses discovered in that town last year. (That is this thread Pictures discovered in fireplace - Sevenoaks.)

The books are owned by Shepway DC, but in the care of KCC at Whitfield. KCC are happy to digitise the books themselves - they reckon that it will cost £1,000 if the Libraries and Archives service does it themselves. (This is cost purely of taking digital photos of all 3,500 pages and no more.) It is still tbd whether the Libraries and Archives service will do it gratis or whether we need to raise the money: if the latter we should be able to raise a grant to do so from local sources.

I hammered home the point about indexing being critical (I demonstrated several examples of potential confusion) and it that it would require involvement of knowledgeable individuals from the WFA and GWF. The point was taken and I was particularly well supported in this by the chap who had worked on the Sevenoaks project who several times mentioned that he could not have done that project without the help of the GWF.

I will be going back to KCC with a draft project plan which we can then discuss in more detail with their IT people etc.

The project will probably run under the 'Step Short' banner, with KCC and Folkestone People's History Centre as the main partners/sponsors.

Charles.

Many thanks for the time and effort that will benefit us all, I am sure.

I can't think of a way that I can give any help, but if you feel that help

is required just let me know. I would like to feel that I am putting back

something for all the help I have been given.

I live in South West Essex si it wouldn't be a problem, I would be please to oblige

Martin

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Patrick,

reference to the petition concerning Folkestone Harbour, I watched W.D.Y.T.Y.A. last night and am wondering if you could send the details to Chris. Moyles (radio 1) and perhaps he would give it his backing on his show .

Patricia

Charles Fair - well done that man!!!

• 8 months later...

The latest on this is that KCC have now photographed the autograph books digitally. Now comes the difficult part - transcribing and checking. I will set up a separate thread in due course to ask for volunteers.... Watch this space....

Charles;

Well done, so far, for keeping on this project. We on this side of the pond look forward to further updates as they come about!

George

• 1 year later...

When you start looking for volunteers count me in.

Thanks Phil you may be needed soon.

A heads up for the forum.

Good progress has been made on this project and if all goes to plan there should be an article in the Sunday Express this weekend about the Visitor Books. There is an appeal for final funds to complete the project as transcribing and checking 42,000 lines of handwritten text is costly, as is building an appropriate database and search facility. When the books have been transcribed into the database, we will still need help checking a lot of the detail. There are thousands of unit names abbreviated to strings of letters. Help with names may also be required. The forum can hopefully assist in this.

The aim is to provide a fully searchable database so that people can search by date, name, rank, number, regiment / battalion etc.

John

PS I'm on the Somme at present and will not be able to respond to any questions until late Monday.

• 3 weeks later...

The article on the Folkestone Harbour Visitor Books appeared in today's Sunday Express.

John

• 1 month later...

John - thanks for the updates. Nice to see that good progress is being made. I missed the article in the Sunday Express. Any chance please of putting a scan up here?

Charles