Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Discovery of list of many men who passed through Folkestone Harbour St

Charles Fair

I sure hope these records will be preserved - and made available in some digital format. Otherwise people like myself will never be able to use it....... distance prevents me from having a look at the original documents.

If/when the pages are scanned or photographed, I'd be very happy to help in transcribing some of them.

Charles tried to send you a PM but mailbox full - perhaps you could send me your e-mail address?

You can get good enough images with a fairly ordinary digital camera, so that scanner might not be necessary.

Depends on the material. Book scanners will give more consistent quality and can work up to the binding without risk of damage to the spine and can correct for some distorsion. Presumably the software would automate the production of pdf book, or whatever. But it looks from Charles' comments that digital camera would be possible.

The big thing is the amount of labour needed to transcribe all those names, but that could still probably be done by volunteers for nothing (I expect lots of people on the GWF would help). The experience of service records on Ancestry suggests that getting commercial companies involved might not be the best way to go about it.

Agree entirely. Hard enought to transcribe one written text, where you have some chance of learning the writer's style, but when it is many authors, even more difficult. Web based is a good idea since there are likely to be many corrections.

I wonder if it might be worthwhile enquiring with War Memorials Trust (formerly Friends of War Memorials)? I would imagine this item consistutes a form of war memorial, and they, together with English Heritage, have a grant scheme for preserving memorials.

Ian

Any chance of getting Dan Snow or Ian Hislop interested in making a programme - radio or TV ?

There's a man on the forum looking for information about WW1 for a new "Who Do You Think You Are" , do you think he might persuade them to include footage in the programme ?

Linden

I'm sure you have already thought of the lottery heritage grant facility. Don't overlook the possibility of some sort of European funding for a project like this too. It just has to be pitched in the correct way.

My Great Grandfather passed through that station in 1915 and I would be delighted to think I could see his signature there. He was an old soldier so if there was a canteen about he was sure to be in it.

You mentioned being able to photograph the books in 3 days. Would it be a possibilty to do that and then email images to volunteers for transcription. I for one am familiar with working with old records and have had experience in creating databases to preserve same. I would be glad to volunteer. I agree with some of those above that to farm these records out to unskilled volunteers would be a disaster. Accuracy has to be key.

Well done on grasping the nettle with this project, Charles. I wish you every success. If you need volunteers when it comes to transcribing or indexing I will be more than happy to help out.

Ken

For lottery funding have a look at NOF and EnrichUK. They provided some of the funding for the digitization of the Old Bailey Proceedings.

The biggest costs are likely to be:

Legal advice, because the archive will want to be re-assured that no-one is going to sue them for copyright infringement.

Web hosting, because even if the final version is going to be published on CD ROM a website would be very useful for the transcription process. Using some kind of wiki, or the Distributed Proofreaders software, would be a much more effective way of managing workflow and getting volunteers involved than just e-mailing image files to people.

If the finished (although no digital resource is ever truly finished) version is going to be published on the web, then funding needs to take into account the costs of hosting the site forever. Something like this could be very popular, which means that hosting it could be expensive, but possibly some of the cost could be met by advertising.

It might also be worth looking at Google Base. This is a free service which allows you to upload a data set from a database, spreadsheet, or XML file and make it easily searchable. It has pros and cons, but anyone who has built a database of soldiers and doesn't know how to put it online or can't afford to host their own site should at least consider it.

I may be mistaken, but I think that Enrich UK is now closed to applications for funding. It's an extremely valuable site, though and ought to be in the Favourites list of anyone who is interested in heritage and culture.

Gwyn

Ian - good idea re War Memorials Trust. I am a member but hadn't thought of that. Certainly worth an approach, though they may decide that it is not within their remit.

Thanks for posts (Gavin - the links are very useful). I think the lottery grant is probably the way to go. I would certainly use this approach when I get into to see the head archivist and relevant people in the KCC Libraries and Archives service as I think they would respond better to that than the volunteer approach. However, it would be key to have involvement of people such as experts from the GWF to ensure quality control.

I have some contacts here through the Folkestone Peoples' History Centre (which is partly funded by Canterbury Christchurch University) which should be able to help me approach the right people.

I suspect that it will be a litle while before the books can be digitised, let alone transcribed as there are quite a few stakeholders that need to be engaged first.

There is a broader issue locally in that KCC have recently allowed Folkestone's Museum to be deregistered so the town does not have a proper museum with curator, accession register etc. etc. In time KCC plan to replace it with a dumbed down 'History Resource Centre'. (That is another issue which my wife is helping to campaign against.....)

However, given the redevelopment of Folkestone, we are trying to engage other stakeholders to create a dedicated museum - possibly on a new site. That will need proper funding. There is a lot of Folkestone material that is currently scattered throughout Kent and the rest of the UK which really should be on show here. For example, there is a Roman villa on the East Cliff but the finds are not on show. (A lottery grant for a new archaeological dig on the villa has been applied for). There are also 20,000 finds that came out of the channel tunnel dig which have not been seen locally but which apparently include some superb anglo-saxon jewellery.

I would argue that a key feature of any purpose built museum should be the town's role Great War, and these books should be one of the key exhibits.

Bit of a chestnut I know but what about Ian Hislop and channel 4. Desperate times require desperate measures.

Best thing I can think of too is to make a big fuss with the local press etc. Get the great and the good from all regions in the UK involved and Rep of Ireland. Men from all regions passed through that station, it's in everyone's interest to get involved -- last resort --letter to the Times??

A great resource and some valuable offers and suggestions.

Any chance of Europe coughing up some Euros, after all that's where our ancestors where bound, some of theirs too.

Dare I mention the Lottery.

Howard.

S & N Genealogy Supplies are always after new books and stuff to produce digitaly, some of there cd's are a scan of the original page, so you get to see the original work and there is no transcribing problems (apart from your own ones :-). From what I understand they acknowldge owner / authership and also pay royalty fees (as they sell world wide, that could be a nice little earner ). they have quite a large military section.

phone - 01722 716121

web - www.genealogysupplies.com

Hth

Grant

Ps I have no connection with the company apart from being a satisfied customer

I was involved in the campaign to save the medal index cards that the National Archives and the Ministry of Defence wanted to destroy a few years back. What really swung it was going to the national press. Getting the story in one of the upmarket tabloids like the Daily Mail or the Daily Express would get the general public onside. Publicity about the visitors book would add tremendous weight to the argument to save the harbour buildings. Good luck.

• 4 weeks later...

Quick update - there will be an article on the visitors appearing in the next WFA Bulletin which is due later this month. Tom Morgan has also agreed to host it on Hellfire Corner.

I should be having a meeting with the head archivist towards the end of this month to discuss widening access etc. I have been getting some positve vibes on this through contacts in the local museum community so I am hopeful.

• 2 weeks later...

I am due to see the head archivist on Wednesday. Will let you know how it goes.

Meanwhile here are some images which will give you an idea of what the books contain. My aplogies for the poor quality - they are photographs of photocopies since I haven't yet been able to get electronic copies.

This one from August 1915:

post-892-1203354599.jpg

and another one, August 1915

post-892-1203354793.jpg

also August 1915. This includes Sir Charles Barter GOC 47 Div and Sam Hughes the Canadian politician.

post-892-1203354960.jpg

August 1915 again. The second image shows part of a draft of 10th Suffolks, most of whom have given their regimental numbers.

post-892-1203355412.jpg

post-892-1203355474.jpg

More of the draft of 10th Suffolks in Aug 1915.

The second image from Sept 1915 shows Major Kearsley Dragoon Guards and his medal citation which looks like it was pasted in at a later date.

post-892-1203355597.jpg

post-892-1203355670.jpg

Sept 1915 again (left image)

centre and right images from Nov or Dec 1915. Right one includes a short verse.

post-892-1203355833.jpg

post-892-1203355937.jpg

post-892-1203356042.jpg

Two more from Aug 1915. The right hand page shows one D Lloyd George.

post-892-1203356192.jpg

post-892-1203356287.jpg