Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Journeys end

john w.

I saw a production of the play in Plymouth a couple of years back, starring Phillip Scholfield (Catherine Zeta-Jones' "husband" in "Last of the Summer Wine") as Osborne. First-rate, sobering, especially the barrage marking the end of the play. Very well worth seeing.

Moonraker

Actually I saw the play in London last year, but would be interested to know how an American version came off in comparison. I think it would be very interesting... especially the audience reaction.

Andy

Saw it in London, October 2005 and enjoyed it.

Bernard

Moonraker- I think the actor you saw in the part of Osborne was actually Phillip Franks, of 'Darling Buds of May' and later 'Heartbeat' fame. I saw the touring company that you did at the Lowry in Salford. I thought Franks was very good, although the general opinion is that David Haig stole the show in the same role in London. I thought the young actor who played Stanhope was a little unconvincing. It was a very good production though, and not hampered as I feared by the small set and period dialogue which can sound comical to modern ears.

Incidentally I would thoroughly recommend the one-man version of Private Peaceful which I also saw at the Lowry and is now in London. The young actor who carries the whole thing is the same one I saw and he was very impressive.

Guest Simon Bull

I saw the London production with David Haig in it, and it was excellent. A good play preceded by an excellent vegetarian Indian meal at a restaurant opposite the theatre made it an absolutely superb evening out.

I saw the London production with David Haig in it, and it was excellent. A good play preceded by an excellent vegetarian Indian meal at a restaurant opposite the theatre made it an absolutely superb evening out.

Simon

That must have been some Indian Meal, remembered two years on ! :D

Myrtle

Guest Simon Bull
Simon

That must have been some Indian Meal, remembered two years on ! :D

Myrtle

Liked it so much been back to the restaurant a couple of times since when in theatreland! I'm very keen on Indian food, so tend to remember restaurants where they do it well!

Ann,

I went to the production at the New Ambassadors Theatre in London on 30.12.05. with my wife and two girls aged 16 and 13. I was, I suppose, a little selfish as none have any interest in the Great War, but as we were going to see 'Billy Elliott' the next evening I thought it would be o.k. As a precaution beforehand I warned the youngest (in particular) to concentrate on the acting. The eldest had studied the book at school as part of her English exam.

I had little to worry about in the end, in fact the youngest said that she enjoyed Journey's End more than B.E. , which believe me, is some confession. The finale to the play is quite stunning (literally). The New Ambassadors Theatre is a very small (and old) theatre. Both aspects I feel added to the intensity and intimacy of the play, I'm not sure how it would work in a large theatre. I recommend this play.

Regards,

Steve.

P.S. There is another larger thread about the play somewhere on the forum.

I didn't see the play in it's original production, (I'm not THAT old), but I did see it about 35 years ago: a school trip for English A Level, combined with a visit to the IWM. Memory fades, but I do recall it as a very moving piece of theatre. For the record, I seem to recall a very nice Pizza in Oxford Street...... ;)

Actually I saw the play in London last year, but would be interested to know how an American version came off in comparison. I think it would be very interesting... especially the audience reaction.

Andy

Are the Alley Theater Co likely to take their production to Virginia, Andy? It would be interesting to hear a comparison from someone who has attended both productions.

I doubt the Alley's production will tour. It's our largest resident "professional" theater in Houston. They have done joint ventures cross-country in the past, but not very many.

I'm really looking forward to seeing their production.

Ann

j

I didn't see the play in it's original production, (I'm not THAT old), but I did see it about 35 years ago: a school trip for English A Level, combined with a visit to the IWM. Memory fades, but I do recall it as a very moving piece of theatre. For the record, I seem to recall a very nice Pizza in Oxford Street...... ;)

That would be the same production I saw at the Mermaid theatre - it was a Manchester Royal Exchange production - although being that long ago, it was probably even a Stage 69 production. The only actor I can remember in it was James Maxwell as 'Uncle' - but I do remember crying at the end - I was 15.

• 2 weeks later...

Being broadcast on BBC Radio 4 as I write

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/arts/pip/ayrei/

The Man from Esher and his Theatre of War

Thursday 30 March 2006 11:30-12:00 (Radio 4 FM)

Repeated: Monday 3 April 2006 0:15-0:45 (Radio 4 FM)

RC Sherriff wrote the play Journey's End following his own experiences of the trenches in the First World War. Unflinching but deeply humane, it was a huge hit in the West End and a global export in some 26 languages. But the man who wrote it remains something of mystery, an insurance agent who lived quietly among the rolling lawns of Esher. Robert Gore-Langton tries to find out more.

Listen again facility available.

PS

It was well worth hearing. I had not realised that Sherrif made it big in Hollywood. He adapted The Invisible Man for the silver screen, and also wrote the script for Mrs Miniver. He had more money than he knew how to spend, and in later life became something of a recluse. When he did leave the house he drove around in a Rolls Royce, but preferred his own company and that of his azaleas.

Thanks for highlighting this radio programme on R C Sherriff, I caught it on the midnight repeat, stayed awake and found it very interesting tho I would have liked to have learnt a little more about his war service and how the play got on to the London stage. I saw the stage play last year and it is very powerful even after nearly 80 years.

Moriaty