JOURNEY'S END

by R C Sherriff

Location West End

Genre Drama

Previews from 13 Jan 04

Opens 21 Jan 04

Booking to 6 Mar 04

Closes

Time Mon - Sat 7.30pm, Mats Thu & Sat 2.30pm (21st Jan at 7pm)

B/O Price UK POUNDS: 15 - 37.50 (Thurs Mats all seats 22.50)

Just thought you would like to know it was on....

John

More info from the film version... 1930, same time as All quiet on the Western Front

Adapted from R.C. Sheriff's successful British play, Journey's End is an early Hollywood World War I tale directed by James Whale, who would go on to much success as the director of the horror classics Frankenstein, The Invisible Man, and Bride of Frankenstein.

Against the background of life in the trenches of a group of officers behind British lines at St. Quentin, France, the characters live in a world of fear, disillusionment, precariousness, friendship, loyalty, naivety, guilt, and abandon. Captain Stanhope, (Colin Clive) company commander, long over the exuberance and assuredness of the early war days, has taken to whisky as a solitary refuge for the psychological strain he must endure with each new attack order given from headquarters. The German machine guns are relentless and the immobility of trench warfare results in countless deaths. The men in his command see Stanhope's deterioration and regard him with a mixture of respect and fear. Lieutenant Osborne, (Ian Maclaren) an older officer, affectionately known as "uncle," provides Stanhope with the confidence and "willing ear" he so desperately needs. Into this nightmare enters second Lieutenant Raleigh, (DM) a young, inexperienced officer, whose sister is Stanhope's love-interest back home and who is as enthusiastic as his captain is bleak. Stanhope's already vitiating psyche is further blighted by Raleigh's presence as he feels the young officer must be judging him as an embittered, unreliable drunkard. After many clashes and the death of Osborne on another raid, Raleigh, himself, falls victim to the Hun and dies in Stanhope's arms. Stanhope is left to his own inexorable fate.

While showing its stage roots, Journey's End is a riveting experience, and its splendid cast enliven memorable characters. Colin Clive, (himself a tortured alcoholic who died tragically at age thirty-seven) creates an unforgettable Stanhope. Possessing a wonderfully tragic and expressive face and an actor of sensitive yet forceful talent, Clive is Stanhope down to the cigarette butt. DM, unceremoniously walking into the role that all young Hollywood actors were coveting at the time, portrays Raleigh with a youthful gleam that soon turns into a more sober reality when he receives his "baptism of fire." His death scene is both sincere and moving, thus capping an auspicious film debut.

James Whale who directed Journey's End in London's West End imported Clive from England to reprise his role of Stanhope. Interestingly, Clive came from a prominent military family and had aspired to such a career in his youth. Whale, himself a former British officer and German prisoner of war, manages to bring his own understanding of the relationships inherent in men living in the confines of the trenches to the screen. Journey's End has not received the time-honored accolades of its contemporary All Quiet on the Western Front. However, its impact is just as potent and its performances are more realistically intuitive.

I was wondering if anyone has been to see the revived version of Journeys End by Sheriff on at the Comedy Theatre (its not a comedy!) in Haymarket. I'm planning to see it but would like to hear opinions anyway

Interesting discussion and very good vibes for this production of the play on this evening's Loose Ends (Radio 4).

One of the more credible former Eastenders (Nigel?) is in it and I think you'll have a good but emotional evening, John.

Rosemary

Interesting discussion and very good vibes for this production of the play on this evening's Loose Ends (Radio 4).

An equally interesting (but lighter and occasionally irreverent) discussion on Jonathan Ross's programme (Radio 2) this morning. Sounds like a production well worth seeing.

Gary

Hi John,

Thanks for pointing this out. I am definately going to go and see this. I have never seen a production on the stage about WW1, so a first for me.

Alie.

Also had a good one in the Evening Standard...

Am looking forward to it, but wonders if my wife will feel the same way :lol:

John

• 2 weeks later...

I went to see Journeys End tonight and thought it was excellent. Even though it's not a comedy, it has a lot of intentionally amusing bits in it. The cast are all very good and the sound effects at the end were quite frightening. (to me anyway). For anyone who's planning to go, be prepared for a numb bum. It's nearly 3 hours long,( including a twenty minute interval).

the GWS will soon be making a trip to see it so if you want a extra experiance come and see the show with 14 other bloaks in kharki

Will be there on the 17th Feb,, and thanks for the info will take a couple of cushions (for the numb bum), flask, army bicusits and some bully beef tins :)

John

I went to see Journey's End today. An excellent cast and Taff Gillingham was one of the costume and prop advisors. I didn't need a cushion by the way, the play was so engrossing and what an ending !

I advise you to buy a programme. Three of its pages feature photographs of items belonging to members of the company and production team. These items have been handed down from relatives who were in WW1. For example David Haig's (Osborne) grandfather's medals and papers. He was Colonel Harry Ward DSO. Also mentioned, Clare Loftus the Deputy Stage Manager's great grandfather C.A. Arnall who died on 21st March 1918 at St Quentin, the time and place in which Journey's End is set.

It's well worth going to see this production.

Have just returned from seeing the play.....

Superb.... all of it a must!.. gosh I sound like a critic

Even my wife loved it, and shes the type whose eyes glaze at the mention of the Great War!!! :)

John

post-8-1077149651.jpg

I also went to see it on Wednesday evening. It is absolutely magnificent as a production. The performances are wonderful and the ending very moving. The run has been extended and I urge you all not to miss the opportunity of seeing it.

It is a long play but so rivetting that one does not notice. Also the Comedy Theatre is a very small venue so be prepared for a bit of a scrum to get to your seats!

Uniformly good reviews from all inc. Pals, it would seem.

Best seats are £22.50 for the Thursday matinee - approaching £40 otherwise.

Groups of 10 get best seats available for £18.50.

May try to organise a London meeting for Thursday AM and trot along there after a nice lunch !

Guest Simon Bull

I too have seen it. Both my wife and I thought it was excellent. David Haig, as Uncle, in particular was very good. I also thought the Indian restaurant across the road from the theatre was excellent.

Altogether a very good evening out!

Simon Bull

John,

Just gone on line to book for next Thursday afternoon, It appears all seats are £22.50. Which area would you suggest, the stalls or up in the dress circle?

Thanks

Andy

Andy/John

I thought I would answer this in case Andy needs to book the seats quickly. I sat in the middle of row E in the stalls. It was a good seat but the only thing I woulsd say, is that if you do not want to have to tilt your head slightly back you would probably be better one or two rows behind (F & G). The set is towards the front of the stage so you don't have to worry about not seeing everything if sitting in the stalls.

It was a good seat but the only thing I woulsd say, is that if you do not want to have to tilt your head slightly back you would probably be better one or two rows behind (F & G).

I've just received my ticket through Ticketmaster for Tuesday 23rd March.

Stalls: Seat 9 Row A!

Forget the numb bum! What about a stiff neck? :blink:

Walter ;)