Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Goodbye Old Man

Dan Morton

Dan, a long time since I have done and figure modelling but I think I would buy one - what about a pewter cast which could be left unpainted. Put me down for one!

David

Gunner, Paul, Shirley, David - Many thanks for your kind comments! Stay tuned - more info on a possible commercial kit later.

HAPPY HOLIDAYS!

Dan

For those of you interested in buying a model kit version of this vignette, I just received permission today from the Blue Cross, the owner of the copyright. So - I'll go to work on it. Stay tuned and I'll give you work in progress updates periodically.

I should probably explain why I don't go straight ahead and make this one into the kit. That's not possible for a number of reasons having to do with being able to cast it as a model kit. Not quite as straightforward as it sounds. Basically, with some exceptions, I will have to start over. The "one-off" version is going to make its way to Spain to be painted by Rafael Gonzalez Aquayo, one of the best figure painters that I've ever met. Again, I'll show you the painted version when it is possible.

All the best,

Dan

• 3 months later...

Kim - Thank you very much for asking! The original is with the painter now, Rafaelaga Aquayo, in Madrid. I'm not sure if he's even started it yet. When I checked last, he had several commissions to paint. I want to wait until I get the original back from him before starting on the model kit version. Right now I'm working on two figures, at least one of which should be finished this weekend - the Seaforth Highlander cobbler. The second one should take about 3 weeks more. After that, I have a commission piece - a late 1920s era Marine of the 4th Regiment in North China. And I'm planning to do a little vignette of Man's Best Friend based on the attached illustration. After that, hopefully, the original Goodbye Old Man will be back from sunny Espana.

post-4473-1206010298.jpg

post-4473-1206010545.jpg

All the best,

Dan

Dan:

It may sound odd - but thank you for the tears.

Yours is a truly moving tribute to the original artist and to the two brave warriors.

God bless.

Antony