Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Goodbye Old Man

Dan Morton

Background - this is a little homage to my favorite WWI illustrator, Fortunio Matania, and his best known work by the same title. It's a British artilleryman and a horse. I like to think maybe he's a pre-war professional soldier, who has known this horse since it came to the battery. He's cleaned him, curried him, fed and watered, sneaked apples and carrots from the mess for him. And now the horse has been wounded or maybe broken a leg or....and must be left. So two comrades are saying goodbye...

The scale is my usual 1/16th. The horse is from an out of production Verlinden kit, modified to fit the pose, etc. The head of the artilleryman is from the Lost Battalion, hands and one boot from Jaguar, one boot from Model Cellar. The ruined French cooking pot on the ground is from Model Cellar. The rest you can blame on me. The harness is all putty except one piece of lead strip connecting the harness on the ground and that lying in the crook of the artilleryman's arm. The ground is a mix of some resin, some Sculpey and is mostly covered with pumice paste. The yellow stuff you see under one boot and at one shoulder, is phototack. To enable the painter to paint the figure, I had to make one arm separately. In the crouching pose, with one hand on either side of the horse's neck there was no other choice. Even then it is not exactly easy to get the artilleryman into and out of position.

These photos were taken in some gauzy afternoon winter sun and they aren't the best. I also see I need to buy a new blue poster board backdrop!! smile.gif!!

Comments and critique - as always - most welcome!

post-4473-1196632738.jpg

post-4473-1196632595.jpg

Back soon with more photos.

All the best,

Dan

Excellent, brings my uncle to mind in the RFA, the only time I remember him having a tear in his eye when he mentioned the horses.

Colin

I have always liked that picture. You have done it proud.

regards

Arm

Just a small point, but shouldn't he have "butterflies" on his spurs (the leather piece designed to protect the lacing on the boots)? :huh:

Andrew - I have some photos of artillerymen wearing the "butterflies" and some without - as in the figure. My source is the recent Schiffer book on British uniforms - which is outstanding, by the way.

All the best,

Dan

Michael & Steve - Thank you for your most kind comments. I've been getting some e-mail comments off site also and you all really make me feel, well...deeply honored. Thank you.

All the best,

Dan

Very nice Dan!

Dan has graciously allowed us to also post his photos on the TMH forum. For those who might be interested in the campanion thread, it is posted here:

http://www.militaryhorse.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=8045

We actually have a couple of threads up on this illustration. I'd really like to find a poster variant of the one that was used as a poster during the war, which appears on our companion thread, and which Dan has posted above. I'd also like to find a source for the same artist's work, "The Last Absolution of the Munsters", if anyone knows where one may be found.

Again, nice work Dan.

Excellent, brings my uncle to mind in the RFA, the only time I remember him having a tear in his eye when he mentioned the horses.

Colin

Colin

My Granddad too was with the RFA (267 and 245 Bde's) and felt the same. The suffering of the uncomprehending horses. Terrific piece of art this. Very sad as well. Well done Dan. All the best Colin.

Colin

Dan,

This is stunning and so moving. As a horse owner what the soldier is doing is the least we can do to comfort injured, frightened and dying horses who have no idea what is happening to them. You have captured the atmosphere of the scene perfectly. I cannot think that anybody will not be moved to tears by it.

Diane

Dan, this is wonderful work - i know i keep saying it, but it really is very moving.

Well done,

Susan.

I'm considering re-doing this "one-off" as a commercial piece for model casting in 1/16th scale. That makes the horse about 5 inches long down its' back and the artilleryman more or less 4 inches tall. Would it be of interest?

All the best,

Dan

Dan

Very well done. Fine modelling skills. It captures the emotion very well. My grandfather was in the RFA and his testimonial on discharge in 1919 included 'Very good with horses'. I'm sure it would have brought a tear to his eyes.

Gunner Bailey