Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Tank Corps - Ireland

cr27ete

Gwyn,

Somewhere (I am not even sure it was in this thread) you mention that one whippet was used to "collect money". I am assuming this is part of the National War Savings scheme and the "tank weeks". Can you enlighten further as I was unaware that a whippet undertook this duty.

Thanks and all the very best for 2012

Tanks3

Tanks3 - I'll contact you privately on this. It's OT for this thread. My best wishes to you for the New Year.

Gwyn

Gwyn,

Thanks for correcting my typo for the date 17th Battalion became 5th ACC. I can also add that A230 was in August 1918 on the strength of C (3rd) Battalion so must have moved from the 3rd to the 6th battalion between August 1918 and January 1919

Tanks3

Yes, A230 was with B Company 3rd Battalion on 6 August 1918. On 27 October 1918 it was drawn by 6th Battalion from a depot at Tincourt. I don't know what this depot was - can someone enlighten me (though the link between the question and the thread is a little tenuous I hope the moderators will be kind)?

Gwyn

• 2 weeks later...

Nice one.

Donal

www.militaryheritagetours.com

Hi all just taught i would add this i came across it today might be of some reference.

"In April 1919 the Irish Command was reinforced with five infantry Battalions and FOUR TANKS"

REF: Report of G.O.C.-in-C Ireland,in report of Ld.lt.,15 May 1919 G.T.7277 CAB.2479.

Also Apart from the 5th Armoured Car Company in Dublin, there were no tank corps personnel(in Dublin there were a handful of MK V tanks)

REF :GHQ. Ireland,record,i.32.

Regards Martin

Hi Martin

Thanks for your last post. Is this a National Archives, Kew reference. I looked for CAB2479 in the catalogue but couldn't find it. Am I doing something very stupid?

Gwyn

Gwyn,

it was in my notes i just came across it today i will check again i am assuming it is but i will check again

martin

Gwyn try CAB.24 79 and see if that makes a difference.

martin

Thanks very much! That looks perfect - CAB 24/79 is papers of the War Cabinet GT series (I don't know what GT stands for)papers 7201 - 7300 dated 1919. How on earth did you find that!?

Gwyn

Some more offerings from the Belfast Telegraph (1921)

post-43948-0-61281100-1327167694.jpg

post-43948-0-29142600-1327167728.jpg

Nigel

Not tanks, but might be of interest:

post-43948-0-74091300-1327167783.jpg

Nigel

PM me if you want full resolution copies.

Nigel

Thanks for the full copies! The Medium A I think is 374, for which until now we've not had a name. Now we have but as always happens someone's standing in front of what we want to see. I think it ends with RR-UP, so STIRRR-UP might I suppose be a possibility. Any other ideas, anyone?

Gwyn

As tanks replaced horses, that would be appropriate !!!!

Nigel

Yes, it's not a bad pun I suppose. It seems to me that whoever named the tanks in Ireland at this time had a bit of a sense of humour - "Mindyernut" for example. "Fanny Adams" is of course a macabre joke that was long in the tooth even by 1920. Then we have "Fanny's Sister" as an extension of it. Also "Gofasta" and "Golikell". On the other hand the tank "Malvern" doesn't fit the pattern but that tank bore that name when it was at Bovington.

Gwyn

Yes, it's not a bad pun I suppose. It seems to me that whoever named the tanks in Ireland at this time had a bit of a sense of humour - "Mindyernut" for example. "Fanny Adams" is of course a macabre joke that was long in the tooth even by 1920. Then we have "Fanny's Sister" as an extension of it. Also "Gofasta" and "Golikell". On the other hand the tank "Malvern" doesn't fit the pattern but that tank bore that name when it was at Bovington.

Gwyn

Gwyn,

here is a link to a to a pathe film showing 374 being used in Dublin circa 1919

http://www.britishpathe.com/video/great-sinn-fein-round-up

Titles read: 'DUBLIN - GREAT SINN FEIN "ROUND-UP" Armoured car and Tank used in military raid on Sinn Fein "Arsenal". (Exclusive Pictures)'.

hope it usefull

regards martin

Thank you for that Val. The photo is new to me, but I'm wondering how I've not come across it as I've been through the Mark V albums at Bovington. It is a curious name.

Thanks too Martin for the reference to the Pathe file. I have seen this and I think it was taken on the same occasion as the photo posted above.

Gwyn

• 1 month later...