Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Tank Corps - Ireland

cr27ete

2 minutes ago, Sidearm said:

No. Please read my post slowly. The document can be found in the archives at The Tank Museum, Bovington, as stated.

Gwyn

Tank museum. thanks very much

Regards

• 9 months later...

I have come across a listing of three regiments stationed at Buttevant Military Barracks in Co. Cork in 1920, The MIddlesex Regiment, The Tank Corps and the 17th Lancers. I am researching an alleged arson attack on a Soldiers Home attached to the barracks in February of that year. Does anyone have any details on the unit of The Tank Corps that was attached to Buttevant Barracks at that time, I do know that attacks on the main Dublin - Cork rail line were frequent at that stage of the War of Independence so this might have had something to do with their deployment in Buttevant which was on that line. Another question I have if anyone can help me, as was the case in 1921 when more than one regiment was stationed in  a barracks at the same time who was the officer commanding the the barracks and as the troops stationed seemed to be changed regularly at that stage who had responsibility for record keeping and was that passed on from OC to OC and where would it be possible to find those records today. Any help or guidance much appreciated

On 06/06/2020 at 19:38, TullochArd said:

Fascinating thread. 

If the following is to be believed (the caveat being I have not actually seen the film) it would appear that tanks were on "manoeuvres near Dublin" in 1917 (Source: “Filming the Tanks in Dublin.” Irish Limelight Dec. 1917: p.18.)

"As 1917 drew to a close, the other main Irish film production company of the period, the General Film Supply (GFS), was idealizing the new technologies of war. The GFS took out a large ad on the cover of the Limelight’s December issues, offering Christmas greetings and publicizing the various aspects of its business, particularly its Irish Events newsreel and the Irish-themed fiction films it had for hire. The most striking feature of the ad is a photograph of a tank leading soldiers over an embankment. The text under the photo reads: “Irish enterprise in producing a wonderful film of the tanks in Dublin is now having its reward by the unstinted praise bestowed on Irish Events.” An interview with GFS cameraman J. Gordon Lewis reveals that the company were releasing their film of the tanks that was on manoeuvres near Dublin in instalments over four weeks. “I was agreeably surprised at the wonderful Tanks,” he enthuses...…."

Source (and photo of the ad mentioned above): https://earlyirishcinema.com/category/films/topicals/tanks-in-dublin-ireland-gfs-1917/

Sorry I missed this post.  It adds a new light as to the tank deployment in Late 1917