Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The 25 Canadian soldiers who were Shot at Dawn

Guest Pete Wood

Personally I feel we have an issue here and one that should be opened up.

The Canadian soldiers who were SAD like the British SAD cases were buried equally side by side by the CWGC.

All were tried and executed in accordance with the rules laid down by the British Army.

Yet, depsite forfieture under the Rules laid down by the British Army the former had their medals awarded to their NoK along with scrolls and plaques.

The British SAD had nothing...

It has been said that there were political reasons for the medals being allowed, cant argue with that.

Neither the British or the Canadians have been pardoned, yet the latter were awarded their medals.

John

Guest Pete Wood
Neither the British or the Canadians have been pardoned, yet the latter were awarded their medals.

John, let's get this right; MOST of the next of kin of the Canadian soldiers who were SAD received the medals, crosses, memorial plaques and scrolls. Two men's families were never to receive their plaques, ever.....

Chris has made a good point that the Canadian authorities decided that it was going to produce a cross for its next of kin. When the Canadian government found out that Britain was going to give a memorial plaque and scroll to the next of kin of soldiers killed, it agreed to buy and send the plaques and scrolls plus the crosses.

Chris also found written evidence that the Canadian Records Office employed stalling tactics. In many cases the plaques, scrolls, crosses, and medals were held at Ottawa until the families asked for them. It seems, therefore, that the families did ask for them (and remember many of the families were British and living in Britain).

I believe Chris deserves to be congratulated for uncovering a story that most of us, until now, believed never happened. For 80 years we have been led to believe that the medals to ALL soldiers SAD were forfeit. Now we know that this is not (strictly) true.

But, like many people on this forum who are uncovering the 'truth' about all sorts of WW1 matters, we are battling against 'evidence' that has been published by writers/researchers who, quite frankly, have assumed things, rather than state facts; from these 'tales', myths have grown. A classic example is Floyd Gibbons and The Red Baron.

There are other instances as well for (SAD) soldiers, of other nations, who certainly had medals, plaques and scrolls made for their next of kin. Whether they were 'issued,' or not, is something I am trying to uncover.

At this moment, I believe that supporters of the SAD campaign should be rejoicing that 'some' families did get what they were entitled to, and which must have been of some comfort at the time.....

Teapots

I agree totally, the writer has done wonders.

I have been looking for an angle for some time to show that a precedent has been set, and here it is. It is this that I want to pursue.

I dont know how but I hope there is progress towards a satisfactory outcome.

John