Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

First Ypres: Langemarck, October 22, 1914

Gamburd

al fresco,

I think that the phrase you asked about, 'up in the air' refers to the absence of friendly troops on a flank or flanks, like 'out on a limb', in other words the battalion was advancing alone without having their flanks protected by other battalions advancing with them (or at least that's the way it appeared).

Regards,

Dave

• 2 weeks later...

I had always assumed that it meant

elevated or higher than their position,but your suggestion makes more sense,after all why would they allow higher ground to be left unmanned?

al fresco,

I think that the phrase you asked about, 'up in the air' refers to the absence of friendly troops on a flank or flanks, like 'out on a limb', in other words the battalion was advancing alone without having their flanks protected by other battalions advancing with them (or at least that's the way it appeared).

Regards,

Dave

• 2 weeks later...

Hope this map is useful. Walked all round the area the Cameron's fought over. Used Linesman to get it right. Little has changed. Very little to see, but interesting nonetheless.

Langemarck.jpg

Good morning everyone,

I chanced upon this site whilst browsing yesterday and,as usual,typed in my grandfathers number to see what came up and lo and behold I find him quoted here.His is the account of the first Langemarck in 1914,his name is incorrectly given as Barston he was in fact 8168 Sam `Benny`Barton.He enrolled in 1905 under the name of Jonathan Samuel Barton,Jonathan being his elder brothers christian name who was over 18 Sam wasn`t yet of age.He joined the Gloucesters in Sheffield 1905 and after training was posted to India,then Malta being discharged after 7 years.Joining the Post Office as a counter clerk and doing very well for himself he must have pretty surprised to have been called back to service when war broke out.

I have his typed account of the first encounter with German troops and it is well worth buying`Death of an Army`if only for that,he stayed in F&F until 1916 returning to the UK and staying there until the end of the war.I don`t know exactly what he was doing at the depot,but I have photos of recruits training in shallow trenches.He stayed in the regiment until he retired in 1926 with my mother and her elder sister both being born in Horfield Barracks.They both used to reminisce about bugle calls punctuating their days and horses being trained nearby.Retiring as a WO2 he settled the family in East Yorkshire and died in 1954 of lung cancer brought on by a lifelong heavy smoking habit exacerbated by his choice of smoke Turkish Abdullahs.

As a child the house was an army shrine,his 1907 bayonet was hidden behind the pantry door,blank cartridges painted red in chargers were up in the attic,the walls were covered with regimental photos,Sam in the hockey,tug of war,rugby,football and cricket teams.A large photo of the officers and NCOs was surmounted by his red sash and lying across the top frame his stick.Gloucester stuff was simply everywhere.I wish I had some of it now!I have his discharge book,his original attestation form,the few surviving postcards he sent home,his Old Contemptible Association badge and some of his medals,my cousins have the remainder.He died when I was 5, a lovely gentle,quiet gentle man and I it hard to equate him with the man who fired 600 aimed rounds at those attacking troops in 1914.

Our elder son was named after him and despite his dying 57 years ago I think of him often.

RIP Grand Dad

I just want to say that this is the kind of post / personal connection that for me really makes the Forum great. Wonderful!

I just want to say that this is the kind of post / personal connection that for me really makes the Forum great. Wonderful!

Me too.My family lost 4 members during the great War.As they were Great-Uncles with families of their own,now sadly also dead.I had no regimental/naval numbers to go on.Within 10 minutes of asking on this forum about them I had accounts,in one case detailed,of their deaths.these men were my grandparents brothers,much loved,missed and spoken of as if they were around.Arthur coming back fromone voyage with a small pearl handled revolver which he and his brother Frank took to shoot rats in the alley behind their house in Glasgow Street in Hull

• 2 years later...

I am reading Max Hastings latest book about the causes and early months of the Great War`up in the air`is used in a contemporary account of an engagement as meaning exposed or vulnerable.