Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Nurse Laura Marion Gailey

Michael Pegum

4 hours ago, Jim Strawbridge said:

I am reliably informed that the case of nurse Gailey has been put forward for commemoration and that a decision is awaited.

I have e-mailed the "In from the cold Group" requesting any information they may have on Laura Gailey, I will await a reply.

I also visited Kirkdale Cemetery Liverpool this afternoon, although from information obtained from this forum and details obtained from Liverpool Central Library, ie photocopy of the burial register indicating that her grave is located at Section 7 General (Non-conformist) and a photocopy of Section 7, her grave Number is 1433, I found it was not as simple as the plan indicates when I arrived on site.

According to the plan her grave is located two rows in from the North path of Section 7. unfortunately there is a large old tree on the western corner of section 7, and although the paper plan indicates 2 grave plots below/under the tree their is no evidence of any graves located there. I will be re-visiting the site again shortly.   

I have also sent an e-mail to the Commonwealth War Graves Commission, I will keep you up to date of any developments.

Hi Gordon and all

Re Post 18, she was born on 8.11.1886, Vol 2 page 191, Londonderry.

Regards Barry

Amended Ancestry's transcription of Soldiers' Effects L.M.Gailey....MALE!!!

It would appear that her age at death of 26 on the death index is also incorrect. 8b,415 West Derby.

Edited by The Inspector

Gordon, Patience, please. The person "in the know" is currently on holiday but will respond once he returns. He is certain that the name has been put forward but needs to check his records at home to confirm. Sending off an email to the CWGC will produce little as those that deal with them regularly will know. They ONLY do anything if instructed to do so by, I think, the Ministry of Defence. The In From The Cold team has the direct line to the appropriate office in the MoD. They know what evidence needs to be produced and this generally means a birth certificate, death certificate, copy of the burial register, etc. Instead of seeking information from the In From The Cold team on nurse Gailey best to provide them with what you have and let the experienced ones get on with the job. As for finding the grave, well done for the effort that you are putting in. I am assuming that nurse Gailey does not have a headstone or you would have found her. If you haven't done so may I suggest that you go back to the burial register and find out several who are buried either side and if they have a headstone. Look for them and any vacant plot will probably become obvious.

The Inspector. Shame that the badly missed Sue Light is no longer with us. I am aware, however, that some nurses, too old for normal fieldwork, sometimes stated a younger age to get them in. You are right with your date viz. http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/reels/nai000623373/

In the 1901 census she was shown as aged 14 so born 1886/7.

Edited by Jim Strawbridge

14 hours ago, The Inspector said:

Hi Gordon and all

Re Post 18, she was born on 8.11.1886, Vol 2 page 191, Londonderry.

Regards Barry

Amended Ancestry's transcription of Soldiers' Effects L.M.Gailey....MALE!!!

It would appear that her age at death of 26 on the death index is also incorrect. 8b,415 West Derby.

Hi Barry - as far as DofB is concerned the photocopy of the Burial Certificate I have obtained indicates age on death 26. If as you say Laura was born on 8th November 1886 that would make her death in her 31st year which is contrary to the Burial Records held by the City of Liverpool, I would be appreciate clarification of Vol 2 page 191, Londonderry, what is it?

Many thanks for you help. 

2 hours ago, Jim Strawbridge said:

Gordon, Patience, please. The person "in the know" is currently on holiday but will respond once he returns. He is certain that the name has been put forward but needs to check his records at home to confirm. Sending off an email to the CWGC will produce little as those that deal with them regularly will know. They ONLY do anything if instructed to do so by, I think, the Ministry of Defence. The In From The Cold team has the direct line to the appropriate office in the MoD. They know what evidence needs to be produced and this generally means a birth certificate, death certificate, copy of the burial register, etc. Instead of seeking information from the In From The Cold team on nurse Gailey best to provide them with what you have and let the experienced ones get on with the job. As for finding the grave, well done for the effort that you are putting in. I am assuming that nurse Gailey does not have a headstone or you would have found her. If you haven't done so may I suggest that you go back to the burial register and find out several who are buried either side and if they have a headstone. Look for them and any vacant plot will probably become obvious.

The Inspector. Shame that the badly missed Sue Light is no longer with us. I am aware, however, that some nurses, too old for normal fieldwork, sometimes stated a younger age to get them in. You are right with your date viz. http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/reels/nai000623373/

In the 1901 census she was shown as aged 14 so born 1886/7.

Jim, patience has never been one of my best attributes. The facts are that the Londonderry Ladies visited the grave site in July 2015, and decided that a suitable memorial headstone should be erected by the centenary of Laura's death on 24th March 2017, to commemorate a lady from there home town, and they set about raising funds for this laudable project.

Now if the CWGC have an intention of erecting a headstone in memory of Laura, they, the Londonderry Ladies need to know that quickly so they can consider whether to carry on or suspend their  fund raising. If the CWGC have no intention to support a recommendation because Laura does not meet the criteria, well I am sure the Londonderry Ladies project will carry on regardless.

Laura as we know is remembered on the Diamond War Memorial in Londonderry and I understand in the Lady Chapel of Liverpool Cathedral whether her membership of the Volunteer Aid Detachment or her death from pneumonia precludes her being recognised as War Dead, is a matter for the CWGC.

For the record I was a churchwarden of a medieval Anglican church for 16 years with a responsibility of a very old graveyard which included 16 CWGC headstones so I am Au Faux with tramping around cemeteries in all weathers.     

I can confirm that Nurse Gaily's case was submitted by IFCP for CWGC commemoration earlier this year. She is one of a large batch of VAD cases which we have recently submitted.

The earliest cases have all been accepted for commemoration by CWGC and I do not expect this case to be any different. Obviously, once that is accomplished, CWGC will inspect the grave and make a decision on proper commemoration. If the grave is unmarked, this would usually take the form of an official CWGC War Grave headstone.

Terry, This is most helpful, I will now inform the Londonderry Ladies of your post and feel sure they will be very happy if a CWGC headstone is eventually erected on site at Kirkdale Cemetery Liverpool.

Gordon

There are no guarantees but her case does not differ from any of the other VADs submitted and so I am as confident as I can be that she will be accepted.

We had eleven similar cases accepted today so I see no reason to doubt her progress. We should hear within the next two to three months.

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎24‎/‎08‎/‎2016 at 08:37, The Inspector said:

Hi Gordon

Re Post 30.

Vol 2, page 191, Londonderry (1886) is the birth certificate reference. See :-http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=136627269&ref=acome. Full account of the burial.

Regards Barry

Hi Barry, sorry for the delay in replying - I have a copy of the burial record of Laura Gailey in Kirkdale Cemetery Liverpool, her age on death - 1917 - is recorded as 26 years of age - if that is correct that would put her year of birth as 1891, their is obviously a 5 year difference, any further thoughts.

On ‎24‎/‎08‎/‎2016 at 08:37, The Inspector said:

Hi Gordon

Re Post 30.

Vol 2, page 191, Londonderry (1886) is the birth certificate reference. See :-http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=136627269&ref=acome. Full account of the burial.

Regards Barry

Hi Barry, sorry for the delay in replying - I have a copy of the burial record of Laura Gailey in Kirkdale Cemetery Liverpool, her age on death - 1917 - is recorded as 26 years of age - if that is correct that would put her year of birth as 1891, their is obviously a 5 year difference, any further thoughts.

Hi Gordon

I think we are going round in circles. The birth certificate will answer the questions. As previously posted some nurses altered their date of birth, see post 29, The burial records would only have the date of birth given on entry to the service. 

Regards Barry

• 3 years later...