Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Nurse Laura Marion Gailey

Michael Pegum

Jim,

Nurse Gailey's name appears on the war memorial in the Diamond in Derry/Londonderry (see below). The plaques with the inscriptions (over 750 names from the Great War) cannot be photographed satisfactorily, as they are in black bronze with tiny lettering. She was in the V.A.D. and died in Liverpool on 24th March, 1917. She had a military funeral but she does not appear on the C.W.G.C. website.

If you don't have much on her, Trevor Temple of Derry has researched the memorial and has an entry of 36 lines about her. I can put you in touch with him if you like.

Michael

post-3328-1189113147.jpg

Just a little to add - she was a member of St Johns Ambulance Londonderry 8 detachment

Chris

Jim,

Nurse Gailey's name appears on the war memorial in the Diamond in Derry/Londonderry (see below). The plaques with the inscriptions (over 750 names from the Great War) cannot be photographed satisfactorily, as they are in black bronze with tiny lettering. She was in the V.A.D. and died in Liverpool on 24th March, 1917. She had a military funeral but she does not appear on the C.W.G.C. website.

If you don't have much on her, Trevor Temple of Derry has researched the memorial and has an entry of 36 lines about her. I can put you in touch with him if you like.

Michael

Hello Michael, I have some information and a photograph of her. She died of measles in the City Hospital, Liverpool and is also commemorated on the memorial in the Lady Chapel of Liverpool Cathedral. But I haven't got as much as 36 lines so I would be very pleased to be put in touch with Trevor Temple.

I haven't got as much as 36 lines so I would be very pleased to be put in touch with Trevor Temple.

Hello, Jim,

I have sent a P.M. with the contact details.

Michael

Hello, Jim,

I have sent a P.M. with the contact details.

Michael

Hello Michael, details received and I am firing off an email. Many thanks, Jim

• 6 years later...
Guest three cheers for the derry

hi...is there any way to get a copy of the photo of nurse gailey or does anyone have any details of her burial site..??

thanks in advance,

rob.

three cheers for the derrys...!

I agree St. John Ambulance but there are 9 St. John Ambulance casualties listed on the CWGC website and the Regiment/Service of each one is St. John's. For example:

JAMES, G

Service No: 164
Date of Death: 28/06/1916
Regiment/Service: St. John's Ambulance Brigade attd. British Red Cross Society
Grave Reference: VIII. C. 11.
Cemetery: AMARA WAR CEMETERY

Additional Information:

Because it's on the CWGC site doesn't make it right. It's probably just that no-one has pointed out their mistake to them. Or, they have and no notice has been taken. Likewise, don't try looking for a woman in Queen Alexandra's Military Nursing Service for India among the PRO Medal index cards - they are all catalogued as 'medical' Nursing Service.

One can point out errors but it doesn't mean people will take notice.

NGG

Because it's on the CWGC site doesn't make it right. .........

NGG

My written word didn't express my unwritten feeling - which was if the CWGC entries are wrong the mistake will be copied and perpetuated forever!

• 1 year later...

Hello everyone,

In need of some info. Does anyone know where the grave site is for Laura Marion Gailey. I know she was laid to rest in Kirkdale Cem., but there is

no headstone. The plot where she should be has no stone or marker of any kind.

Thanks for your time.

Dave.

Hello everyone,

In need of some info. Does anyone know where the grave site is for Laura Marion Gailey. I know she was laid to rest in Kirkdale Cem., but there is

no headstone. The plot where she should be has no stone or marker of any kind.

Thanks for your time.

Dave.

Interesting. I have a photograph of what I had always considered to be her grave shared with family members in Derry City Cemetery, Londonderry. But looking at the "grave marker" it reads “In loving memory of William Gailey who died 8th March 1904 aged 59 years. Also his wife Margaret Elizabeth who died 20th March 1919. And their daughter Laura Marrion (sic) V.A.D. who died on service at Fazakeiley (sic) Hospital, Liverpool March 24th 1917. Also Jane Gailey Gailey, Died 6th May 1934 aged 57 years”. It is quite possible that the Derry stone is a commemoration memorial rather than a grave marker. A couple of questions :- where did you get the information that she is in Kirkdale Cemetery ? Have you looked at the cemetery burial record to confirm the plot reference ? What is the plot number ? It is quite possible that she lies in an unmarked grave as I have seen this many times before. But this is normally the case where the family is financially poor and can't afford to have one erected.

Hello Jim,

Many thanks for your reply. If you type in the name Laura Marion Gailey into google all the details about her funeral in Kirkdale Cemetery are there. When my friend went to where the plot

was. there was nothing there. I find this strange because when you look at the size of the funeral and everyone that was there, at the end of it, no headstone. I will take another visit with my friend

to the cemetery next week and take a photo of the plot and post it on the forum for you jim.

All the best.

Dave.

• 1 month later...

I have recently come to this topic. Could anyone give me the plot number to look at?

Thanks

• 1 year later...
On ‎04‎/‎05‎/‎2015 at 16:25, amanda.oconnor1 said:

I have recently come to this topic. Could anyone give me the plot number to look at?

Thanks

I too am looking for the grave site of Nurse Laura Marion Gailey formerly of Londonderry Northern Ireland, Have a site map of Kirkdale Cemetery but need Section and Plot numbers - anyone help please.

17 hours ago, gordon said:

I too am looking for the grave site of Nurse Laura Marion Gailey formerly of Londonderry Northern Ireland, Have a site map of Kirkdale Cemetery but need Section and Plot numbers - anyone help please.

section 7; grave 1433

6 hours ago, Jim Strawbridge said:

section 7; grave 1433

Hi Jim, the map provided by the City of Liverpool  of Kirkdale Cemetery indicates Sections  as CH 7 and GEN 7 can you through any further light on your suggestion of Sec 7?     

Further to my enquiry re: Laura Marion Gailey does anyone have a date of birth for this young lady, the year I understand should be 1889.  

Another plan of grave areas for Kirkdale shows the CH areas marked as C/E, not sure why areas would be re-designated or which came first. The R areas are marked R/C, CH as C/E; both should be self-explanatory as to which denominations are buried in those areas.

Gen is probably non-conformist and 'all others'. CH 7; grave 1433 is probably the one you seek.

TEW

1 hour ago, RaySearching said:

This may be of interest

Proposed erection oh headstone

HERE

Regards Ray

I am working on the headstone mentioned in your attachment, they are a group of ladies from Londonderry.

I have this morning visited the Central Library in Liverpool and confirmed that the grave plot is located in Section 7 (Gen - Non-Conformists) grave 1433 as indicated in one of the above posts.

Thank you all for your help so far.

The plan as far as the Londonderry Ladies, is to erect a suitable headstone in the name of  Nurse Laura Marion Gailey by the Centenary of her death on the 24th March 2017

Gordon,

Nigel Henderson off this forum gave a talk on nurse Gailey, in Belfast I think it was, a few weeks ago. He may be able to add more detail.

If you go onto the indirect.gov.uk website you can see Londonderry Corporation war memorial register, the scan of the four original volumes and the page for nurse Gailey, it does not give much information extra information other than it was her sister Jean who was the person putting her name forward for inclusion on the memorial.

It would be her sister who added the notes on the form about cause of death.

The War Memorial committee typed the form with information they held and sent it to whoever nominated the person for inclusion then they [the person] added any relevant notes.

Rob

Graves of VADs who served in a hospital under military regulations have, in recent times, been added to the CWGC list of those that can be commemorated by them. This will include maintenance of their grave in perpetuity and the erection of a grave marker. It would make sense for the ladies of Londonderry to make contact with the In From The Cold Group and see if Nurse Gailey is a candidate. She looks a good chance to me as she was working in 1st Western General Hospital, Liverpool when she died and I believe that this was a military hospital. No matter how well meaning, it would be a shame for the ladies to raise money for a headstone when the CWGC will do it any way. Worth checking out.