Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

September MGWAT

Gunboat

Katie, just now I had time to read the whole thing ;) and I'm glad I did. Great way to close this month!

Gunboat, my clock says October the first, it's time for a poll and the new title...

Lands

I will attempt to set up the poll though it may be the end of October by the time I get it right as my IT skills are rubbish :)

As for the title perhaps we should encourage Katie to continue entering MGWAT by inviting her to set the next title?

Guest soren1916

Hi Gunboat it is I! something wrong with my computer/membership, can't post and the old account has died\!

Sorry Gunboat, that wass meant for Roxy!

Motion seconded.

Scary!!! You will have to tell me if I set a really horrible one that has everyone gaping at their computer screens going 'what??!!' When do I have to have completed that minor task by?!

Scary!!! You will have to tell me if I set a really horrible one that has everyone gaping at their computer screens going 'what??!!' When do I have to have completed that minor task by?!

ASAP some of us need a lot of time to think :rolleyes:

I would also like to thank everyone for the positive feedback - I genuinely did not expect it. The piece looked all right when I was feverishly typing through it, but then it would. Because I was afraid of missing the deadline, and I was single mindedly set on getting involved this time, my first proof reading was effectively on the forum screen - a horrible experience, I urge anyone never to repeat my mistake - the realisation of just how many cliches have crept into your work hitting you and at the same time the awareness that thousands of people could read it if they wanted to!

Yes, futility was one of the things I was really striving to convey in that piece - I'm glad you picked up on it, Michael. Although I'm afraid I reiterated parts of every single novel that has ever been written preaching the same messgae - but face it, there must be at least a grain of truth in such ideas if they become universal!

I'm also afraid my character really was not a likeable fellow at all, and in many ways quite a stereotype. However, the ONE special person's opinion that really mattered to me I now have, and I have been persuaded by it NOT to pull out of the MGWAT - that and everyone else's opinions too, of course. Again, I really really didn't expect it, it was such a pleasant surprise.

I'm also afraid my character really was not a likeable fellow at all...

Katie, it is a common mistake to think that the hero must be likeable. Look at Hamlet - totally ineffectual - wavering, indecisive. Makes a botch of it all and gets everyone including himself killed.

Some of the best-loved "heroes" are rogues - Falstaff, for example.

Katie, it is a common mistake to think that the hero must be likeable. Look at Hamlet - totally ineffectual - wavering, indecisive. Makes a botch of it all and gets everyone including himself killed.

Some of the best-loved "heroes" are rogues - Falstaff, for example.

I love Hamlet!!! But then again, maybe that's only because I can't get the image of Kenneth Brannagh playing him out of my mind...

I will attempt to set up the poll though it may be the end of October by the time I get it right as my IT skills are rubbish.

As for the title perhaps we should encourage Katie to continue entering MGWAT by inviting her to set the next title?

Seems to be working :D

Fine by me. Katie, I guess it's your turn... please go and put up the October title.

Motion seconded

Huh? What's this? I can't move!?

some of us need a lot of time to think

That would be me... I'm slow.

Realistically, when do I need to have thought of a topic?

It might take me a while to come up with one we can really get our teeth into...

ASAP some of us need a lot of time to think :rolleyes:

And don't I just know it ;) Don't know about you, Landsturm, but I'll brood over it tonight at the same time as pouring over Hamlet. (How apt Michael's example was...)

Katie, Great background, from a different angle. Loved the angle. Shall have to read it again to absorb it, as you have covered so much in the story.

In giving the horror and the conditions of the men, you have not done a disservice to the men, but have given yet another reason to make us think of what they went through, and who they were.

I admire your bravery in putting forward a character who some might cringe at, but must of existed. I agree with Micheal's words and Marina's.

Keep on writing!

Cheers

Kim

I am glad you think so, Kim. Because I do feel all these things I'm trying to express... it just takes such an enormous effort to do them justice.

but I'll brood over it tonight at the same time as pouring over Hamlet.

Don't forget to look up Hamlet's Irish friend - "Now might I do it, Pat"

And the Steamwhistle Boys - "So Rosenkrantz and Guidenstern go toot"

Katie, if you're on broadband, see Hamlet on Textarc.

It takes a little while to load, but when it does, you'll see that there are various ways of exploring the text.

Go to the Textarc home page and you'll see that there are thousands of texts you can play with. (Third item down on the left hand menu.) Including war poets....

Gwyn

Katie, if you're on broadband, see Hamlet on Textarc.

It takes a little while to load, but when it does, you'll see that there are various ways of exploring the text.

Go to the Textarc home page and you'll see that there are thousands of texts you can play with. (Third item down on the left hand menu.) Including war poets....

Gwyn

Wow. *Gapes at screen with eyes wide open.* That is so hypnotic it could almost send me to sleep. Oh well, it's a really innovative way of learning quotations, because perhaps then I'll dream about all the swirling colours, and the words that appear in it as well!

Thanks for that Gwyn, I'll have to show all my friends!

Good heavens, Katie - you're much better than Ben Elton! You have certainly not done a dis-service to the men who served.

Would say this - I admire the way you haven't given us an easy conclusion. Harry might or not survive, and isn't really sure whether he wants to anyway. The sense of futility of the war comes through strongly.

Alan

That's one hell of a relief. Yes, I hoped to create the impression that Harry could or could not be narrating from the grave.

Realistically, when do I need to have thought of a topic?

In theory it should already be there, but in practice; when ever you're ready... :D